baddad

another music nostalgia thread...

BOUGHT (not borrowed//acquired - actually spent pocket money on??)

I can't remember which was first, but it was one of these three...

Dreamer - Supertramp

Only you can - Foxx

Amateur hour - Sparks...

No some editorial comment:

dreamer - I love(d) the Crime Of the Century album, but after that YEUUUUUUCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Only you can - Fancied Noosha foxx, but the music was not all that

Amateur hour - Not a big sparks fan, but the long version of 'Number One Song in Heaven' is worth buying a best of album for - absolutely perfect pop/disco stuff and YEARS ahead of its time...

BD

Now I'm going to show my age ...

I'm a Tiger by LULU

closely followed by

Windmills of Your Mind by Noel Harrison

God - this is Soooooo embarassing:

The Lion Sleeps Tonight by Tight Fit

And........hubby would like to add his .... take it away:

Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkle closely followed by:

Diary of Horace Wimp by ELO (which I borrowed from him! - Daisy)

What about first albums:

Me: Playing To an Audience of One by David Soul

Hubbs: Paranoid by Black Sabbath

I think I know who took longer to be cool :P

First single was: I can't stand the rain - Eruption

First album...that's trickier, not sure which it was but I know it was a Beatles album. The first record I can ever remember hearing was a Beatles record was, and still am a huge fan.

First single bought : Daddy's Home by Cliff Richard. Rock On !

I gave it to my mum as a birthday gift and also neatly wrote out the words to ', I Love You Just The Way You Are' by Billy Joel. wrapped the piece of paper in a blue ribbon and folded it up into an empty After Eight wrapper. What a lucky lady she was that day !! :P

sparks - absolutely perfect pop/disco stuff and YEARS ahead of its time...

I think you'll find they're called the Kaiser Chiefs nowadays ;)

Pop will repeat itself

First Album - The Ramones ?1.99 import, May 1976 (my big brother conned me into buying it, assuming I'd hate it and give it to him :huh: How wrong he was :dance: !

First Single - Red Frame White Light by Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark ?2.99 12" March 1980 (my bleepy music phase :robot::thumbs: )

Phas - my earliest memory is of wearing my John Paul George and Ringo Tshirt with great pride :thumbs: . And if you don't know The Rutles, you must get to know them now ::):

Edited by littlenemo

Bernie Flint (I think that was his name :unsure: )

The one that goes 'whose gonna water my plants, whose gonna patch my pants'. Oh, come on you know the

one, dont you?

It was the first single I ever bought, didn't know who the hell he was, but was desperate to own a record!

suppose I must have been desperate! :lol::lol::lol::whistle::whistle:

Just remembered the name of it 'if not you'.

Yeah, it all just came flooding back 'whooooooooooooo if not yooooooooouuuuuuu'.

Brook :whistle:

Edited by Brook

Now I'm going to show my age ...

I'm a Tiger by LULU

closely followed by

Windmills of Your Mind by Noel Harrison

Eve,

I have a confession, I absolutely love 'windmills of your mind'. :whistle::whistle:

Brook

My first single was "There Are More Questions Than Answers" Johnny Nash

Do you think I knew way back then or was someone trying to tell me something :unsure::lol:

Carole

Guest flutter

would have been a donny osmond single i think

was ever such a long time ago tho

do remember one year getting a record player for xmas and getting a donna summer album too, and not being able to play it cos my granny was round :(:P

I'd love to be able to say that the first single I bought was something artistic and cool, sadly it was 'Long Haired Lover from Liverpool' by Little Jimmy Osmond. :oops:

First Album was 'One Step Beyond' by Madness which I still think is a great album.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Poison- Unskinny Bop

That was the first I bought myself as far as I can remember but my Dad was/is a music collector so that saved me a fortune.

First vinyl I owned which was bought as a gift was Black Lace Agadoo :lol:

oh lord, the first single i bought was Last Kiss by David Cassidy (all together now...Eugh!) the first album i ever bought was Rush - Farewell to kings.

I am ashamed and scared to admit that mine was Too Shy by Kajagoogoo :rolleyes: .............however I can redeme myself as the first Album I bought was Blondie Paralell Lines :D .

My brother had an enormous record collection so I hardly bought anything. He also hogged the hifi. Tubular Bells may well have been his first. 'Shaft' came on the demo tape of Dad's fab system. We nearly deafened ourselves the first time we turned it on.

I think my first single was 'Laughing Gnome' David Bowie and the first album was years later possibly 'Regatta de Blanc' by the Police

First time I bought 3 albums - one was Elvis,Everly Brothers (Cathy's clown) & Mario Lanza (Mum 'owned' the radio & never heard proper teenage music in our house till i was fifteen. Mind you, still love them all today

A

Suzi Quattro - Devil Gate Drive, which I'm now going to be singing throughout the afternoon much to the annoyance of my colleagues..

'well at the age of five........

Guest hallyscomet

:lol: First Album was Peter Frampton and love EVERY track

he was ssoooo HOT on the front cover too :lol::lol:

Actually 'Baby I love your way" was my favourite

Hailey

Edited by hallyscomet

That device was a plastic tube! Fed from a speaker into his mouth, so he could control the sound going into the voice microphone. The story went (at the time) that he had to give up doing it live after one tour, because the vibrations were making his teeth fall out! :(:lol:

Nowadays (Madonna, etc.) it's all done with computers. Shame, I say, an artist should suffer for their art. Nowadays we have to do the suffering, judging by the current top 20 :devil:

nemo

That device was a plastic tube! Fed from a speaker into his mouth, so he could control the sound going into the voice microphone. The story went (at the time) that he had to give up doing it live after one tour, because the vibrations were making his teeth fall out! :(:lol:

Nowadays (Madonna, etc.) it's all done with computers. Shame, I say, an artist should suffer for their art. Nowadays we have to do the suffering, judging by the current top 20 :devil:

nemo

Oh well, I suppose he's not such a heart throb now, not if he's lost his teeth. What no toothless smiley? - shame. I bet he's got no hair now either. Maybe he looks like this :huh:

SV

Guest hallyscomet
Hailey,

Was that 'Frampton Comes Alive' I had that album, I loved it especially 'Show me the Way' with the funny voice changing device he used!!

SV

Hi SV,

Yes is was Frampton Comes Alive - yes I love Show me the Way too actually that one comes close to Baby I love your way.

I really love guitar, any type and he is soooo good on this album. Thats why I like Dire Straits so much., the guitar.

Peter Frampton probably does look like this :huh: now :lol::lol: not as cute in a pair of jeans either :lol::lol: oh well, I have to admit, my imagine in the mirror has changed somewhat since those days :)

Hailey

Edited by hallyscomet

My first single was War by the Isrealites.

"Get up in the mornin .........for breakfast"???

Does any one know what it was that he had for breakfast? Ive been wondering for nearly thirty years :blink:

First album.......... an early Bob Dylan cant remember now!

Im so glad I didnt go down the sad Osmonds route :P:whistle:

"Crazy horses whoooooooooooooooooo waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

redberry

My first single was War by the Isrealites.

"Get up in the mornin .........for breakfast"???

Does any one know what it was that he had for breakfast? Ive been wondering for nearly thirty years :blink:

Can see why you had problems finding the lyrics. Was this what you were after? :huh:

Artist: Desmond Dekker & The Aces

Song: Israelites

Lyrics: Jimmy Cliff

Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir,

so that every mouth can be fed.

Poor me, the Israelite. Aah.

Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir,

So that every mouth can be fed.

My wife and my kids, they are packed up and leave me.

Darling, she said, I was yours to be seen.

Shirt them a-tear up, trousers are gone.

I don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde.

After a storm there must be a calm.

They catch me in the farm. You sound the alarm.

Poor me, the Israelite.

I wonder who I'm working for.

Poor me, Israelite,

I look a-down and out, sir.

I always thought it was

"Woah, the Israelites-a"

My first single I ever bought was Gino, by Dexi's midnight runners. It was fab, and if my memory is right it was a double A side with something just as good (can't remember what) on the other side. Then I lent it to my first boy friend, who I then dumped and he denied all knowledge of it when I asked for it back :o

Can see why you had problems finding the lyrics. Was this what you were after? :huh:

I always thought it was

"Woah, the Israelites-a"

Exactly what I was after! :notworthy:

Many thanks...I bloomin knew it was Desmond Dekker and the Aces

Just plumb crazy... War by the Isrealites!!

Slaving for breakfast.. makes me feel humble, I had a sneaky suspicion it was some kind of Afro american cereal! In my youth ofcourse.

Cheers :lol:

redberry

I was never able to work out the lyrics of ' The Israelites' and sang words which I now realise were absolutely nothing like correct eg, " Man she said I was yards too greasy, oooh ooooh the Israelites " :lol:

I can sleep easy tonight !

I was never able to work out the lyrics of ' The Israelites' and sang words which I now realise were absolutely nothing like correct eg, " Man she said I was yards too greasy, oooh ooooh the Israelites " :lol:

I can sleep easy tonight !

I used to sing

"Me wife and me kids they pack up me tv"

Yet another happy punter looking forward to a good sleep tonight!

redberry

The first single I bought was Life is a Highway by Tom Cochrane.

I saw Desmond Dekker and The Aces at a reggae festival years ago, he was brilliant :thumbs: Ahhh, memories

Still love reggae :dance:

Edited by annie