ameretto

Weighted Blankets

Hi all,

After reading a lot of positive stuff about weighted blankets about nine months ago, i have been searching ever since to find a seller in the UK, with no luck. I feel pretty optimistic that my ds would respond well to one of these from experience of other sensory issues and some very convincing American research.

They are available in the USA, but as they normally weigh between 7 and 14 pounds, shipping is very expensive.

In desperation, a friend and i are trying to negotiate a bulk discount from a US producer and wondered whether anyone would be interested in making an order with us; the more we order, the cheaper they will be!

Alternatively, if anyone has experience of using weighted blankets or knows of a UK supplier, could they please let me know? Any information gratefully received!

Cheers

Ame

Anne what are they? Is it something makeable? I make baby blankets etc in my webshop and have made bedding etc for my Mums/neice room, sisters flat etc..

Would be interested to see what they are as Logan likes a heavy blanket also.

Lynne

"Toys for the Handicapped" do some but they're not cheap ... http://www.tfhuk.com/

http://westonsinternet.co.uk/acatalog/Onli...nket_15437.html

Stacks in the US - they may be able to import?

http://www.world-net.net/home/mwsales/index.html

http://members.aol.com/mtcustomblankets/weightedblanket.html

There must be an easy way to make something ... here's a link to an OT site and a set of messages about them and how to make them:

http://www.otexchange.com/mb_messages.php?mbid=9&tid=430

These two links are on that site too...

http://www.jeena.org/autism/ot.htm#Making%...ed%20blanket%A0

http://www.ont-autism.uoguelph.ca/blanket

They are basically thin duvets, incorporating a great many individual pockets, each of which contains beans or similar to provide a very weighty blanket like a hundred or so small bean bags (the type you throw) sewn together. The pockets are supposed to mean the weighting can't shift at all and remains even.

There has been research in the USA that 'proves' they are of great help to ASD dxed children in feeling calm, secure, sleeping etc.

I have looked at the possibility of making myself but was put off by the fiddliness and need for such high quality to withstand washing and tumbledrying. I will investigate those links though as maybe there's an easy way?

Offer still stands, though, if anyone is interested in a bulk import.

Ame

Ame - sorry for calling you Anne - thats what comes with speed reading!

I had a look and not sure I'd feel comfy making one either but I would be keen on ordering one also as I think L would definitely benefit from it.

Lynne

Lynne,

Ok, thanks- i will add your name to the list of "interesteds" and come back and let you know a price once i have had enough quotes and shipping estimates back to cost it.

I'm aiming for about ?80 per blanket, certainly less than 100, but only for high quality, washable quilts (inc. the shipping).

There are five of us interested at the mo; and i reckon we need 10 minimum to secure the discount, so if you know anyone else who could be interested, by all means ask them.

I will supply my full off-line contact details to anyone who wants to go ahead, won't expect the cash upfront and can arrange to be paid through Paypal if preferred.

The other thing to bear in mind is they will be made to order, and shipped by sea rather than air to keep costs down, so may take 4-6 weeks from the order date to arrive.

If anyone else is interested and happy with these arrangements please either post or PM me. (I will get a weighted quilt for my ds if it kills me :tearful: )

Wish me luck,

Ameretto

Edited by ameretto

Lynne,

Ok, thanks- i will add your name to the list of "interesteds" and come back and let you know a price once i have had enough quotes and shipping estimates back to cost it.

I'm aiming for about ?80 per blanket, certainly less than 100, but only for high quality, washable quilts (inc. the shipping).

There are five of us interested at the mo; and i reckon we need 10 minimum to secure the discount, so if you know anyone else who could be interested, by all means ask them.

I will supply my full off-line contact details to anyone who wants to go ahead, won't expect the cash upfront and can arrange to be paid through Paypal if preferred.

The other thing to bear in mind is they will be made to order, and shipped by sea rather than air to keep costs down, so may take 4-6 weeks from the order date to arrive.

If anyone else is interested and happy with these arrangements please either post or PM me. (I will get a weighted quilt for my ds if it kills me :tearful: )

Wish me luck,

Ameretto

P.S. It is the mtcustomblankets (in MotherEves links above) that i prefer so far but havent had a price yet, have a look and see what you think. I had a direct web address for that lady if i find it, i'll post it.

I splashed out and bought one of these weighted duvets from mtcustomblankets a year or so ago - at huge expense! The lady I dealt with by email was great, and very accommodating (loads of choice of fabric) and it was beautiful when it arrived and beautifully made.

I hadn't reckoned on paying the customs fee, though! Bumped up the final figure substantially, so please bear in mind when ordering! Also, because it's heavy, postage is high too.

As to whether it's made a difference to my son - well, he sleeps under it every night and occasionally takes it off the bed and wraps himself up in it totally. He is sleeping well, although getting him to sleep is still a problem! Of course, I don't know what he'd be like without it, but I'm glad we got it.

Good luck!

Import tax can be huge, I am thinking of getting myself a sewing machine to make some of these, and getting my Mam to teach me how to use it of course, basically you can make either individual squares filled with beads then sew how many you need together, or sew a line every about 4 inches and fill those with beads, which you can get from most sewing shops as it is what they use in bean bags. Like this one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WEIGHTED-BLANKET-LAP...1QQcmdZViewItem

If it helps re shipping, my MIL is based in the US and would happily send any packages to us as a 'gift' which should avoid customs charges.

I might have a bash at making one up for Logan and see how it goes.

Lynne x

methinks theres a gap in the market........This time next year we'll be millionaires!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's very expensive but i wonder, if they were cheaper i'd get one for my son i think he'd like it!

I've ordered some of the polyresin beads that are used in those US blankets and am going to have a bash and see how I get on with it. If anyone else is looking to order them you can get them on ebay and they are used to fill the bodies of those Reborn dolls and are up to all the safety standards and stuff.

Lynne

Quite a few of these being listed on ebay, I noticed one seller had bought one from the US maybe making their own now or buying to sell on.

Hi

i am a uk designer and maker of weighted blankets.

(post edited to comply with forum rules)

mel xx

Sorry mel, direct advertising is not allowed on the forum, so I've removed the website address. If any members are interested, please pm mel for further details.

Edited by Kathryn

Hi we have misplced son's melatonin and so last night panicked he would be up and down all night. I gave him my king-size throw-over to put on top of him, siad it would make him sleep well cos when it's on my bed it seems to add a lot more weight. Folded it four times and he slept like a log and without meds, I dobn't know if it was that so will try it for a few more nights yet then if I feel it is am looking into buying a weiughted blanket, maybe try a big heavy blanket first and see if that works >:D<<'>

I think it may be possible to experiment with other types of weighted bedclothes before paying out for a weighted blanket. Just like the above poster did. We have a throw which is silk on both sides and has some sort of wadding inbetween. It is only the thickness of a blanket but is heavier than a quilt. I think I might try this on one of the little ones beds as I remember I slept well when I used it in the summer.

Im also old enough to remember the days before central heating and duvets. The weight of the blankets was really something, sometimes if you were tucked in you couldn't move!! A couple of traditional wool blankets cadged from your mum/aunt/gran and put inside a quilt cover to stop the tickles might work too!

Should say that since my posting I did buy one from Ryansmum which then turned into two blankets as I felt my daughter may benefit for one too, she's nt but doesn't seem to need sleep!!

Ryansmum was very helpful and the blankets are both lovely, my son is sleeping better with his and we have reduced his sleeping medication, (melatonin) and he's sleeping much better than he ever has done, can't say for definate if it is the blanket, we have one smaller one and a single bed size one, the smaller one has been v helpful for using downstairs when he needs to de-stress. If you have the cash to buy one I would recommend it, I am thinking of getting a lap pad for school use but I think my son probably wont want one in school for fear of feeling different, he has things the OT has given him for school but he wont take them to school.

Hi

mel xx

Sorry mel, direct advertising is not allowed on the forum, so I've removed the website address. If any members are interested, please pm mel for further details.

hi can u give me some information on yr weighted blankets

thanku donnaxxxx

Hi

mel xx

hi can u give me some information on yr weighted blankets

thanku donnaxxxx

hi,

Donna and Sue , i have emailed you .

I make several types, each one has a specific use, but the all work using the same theory:

thanks mel xx

Hi Ryan's mum 2 - I have edited your post and PM'd you. BD :)

Edited by baddad

We got our Southpaw weighted blanket through J's OT, to borrow, and it worked so well that we got Social Services to buy him one. A few hundred quid, but they did it. Worth looking into for those with social workers - ours agreed pretty much instantly.

We use to use a weighted blanket about 6 years ago. The weight was great however, the feel of the blanket was not very relaxing for my son. This blanket came from southpaws england

I tried to get samples of the weighted blankets which proved difficult. (As my son suffers from alot of sensory problems)

So I ended up making it myself. I just brought a fleece blanket and cotton lining. I put the weights in the cotton lining and stitched it up.

Well my child has been in heaven. Prior to my sons sats I also brought him a sheepskin So now he lies on the sheepskin and has the weighted blanket on top of him. Well he sleeps longer and his sleep is of a better quality. Even sats week he was relaxed and still we have had no meltdowns.

lyn

i hav thought about getting reece one wat did u use as weights lyn??

and reece see a sheepskin rug in ikea the other day he just laid on it and wouldnt move lol

love donnaxxx

This is so interesting, I have always used a cheap and cheerful rug from Ikea, just for the bed I hasten to add, without any weight sleep is not as sound.

I tried a weighted shouder wrap for my son when we went on holiday as previous journeys on an aeroplane had been horrendous! He sat quietly all the flight and played with his nintendo ds and even fell asleep (never happened before), then when we got in the taxi at the other end he asked for his "special blanket". I thought it was worth every penny and wouldn't have believed the difference unless I had seen it.

hi

I have researched weighted blankets for over 2 years before i started to make them.

The feedback i have had from parents, teachers and Ocupational Therapists has been MORE worthwhile me making every single blanket.

I have had so many letters and emails thanking me so much, not just for the beautifully made blanket, but most importantly the DIFFERENCE they have seen in their child/ pupil just by using the blanket,

The deep pressure the blankets provide calm the child body , which in turn then calm the childs mind ...

i.e. if you can calm the twitching . jigging. flicking, jerking , it leaves LESS in the childs brain to ''think about having to do''

i.e. they dont have to twitch, jerk, flick, jig up and down anymore - beacuse the pressure therapy from the blanket has taken away that NEED to keep doing it, therefore they dont have to THINK about doing it anymore !

in turn, this calming of the body enables the brain to calm down also, all the child HAS TO DO now is relax and go to sleep - the relaxing part is taken care of too, again due tho the deep pressure therapy.

I hope this helps you understand how weighted blankets work,

best wishes mel xx

weightogo used to advertise on ebay.

How long did it take from the date or ordering to when your blanket arrived? We ordered mine about 2 weeks ago and im wondering whether to chase weight2go up or not? There have been no emails and im hoping this blanket will help me sleep.

thanks

Alexis

How long did it take from the date or ordering to when your blanket arrived? We ordered mine about 2 weeks ago and im wondering whether to chase weight2go up or not? There have been no emails and im hoping this blanket will help me sleep.

thanks

Alexis

Has it arrived yet?

We have got 3 from there and all been brilliant, there a different style weighted blanket to the american style too, you can have it as heavy as you like that goes by your own weight, it is calculated so its not too heavy. J has a new one that is very heavy but he loves it, consider your colours carefully too, J went for Green as it gave him a calming effect.

Goodluck, if you have not got it yet then do give them a ring, OR maybe your have got it and your sound asleep and havent let us know!

JsMumxxx

Has it arrived yet?

We have got 3 from there and all been brilliant, there a different style weighted blanket to the american style too, you can have it as heavy as you like that goes by your own weight, it is calculated so its not too heavy. J has a new one that is very heavy but he loves it, consider your colours carefully too, J went for Green as it gave him a calming effect.

Goodluck, if you have not got it yet then do give them a ring, OR maybe your have got it and your sound asleep and havent let us know!

JsMumxxx

It went to my grans address as the stupid company couldn't tell the difference between a delivery address and a payment address! of course i didn't realise this until when i went to grans in search of something i was borrowing. Gran cant be in 2 places at once so couldn't tell me the blanket had arrived. We haven't managed to put in a complaint yet.

Alexis

I know this is reviving an old thread, but Raph has had a weighted blanket for about 18 months now and its most beneficial. His school have ordered him a weighted belt as the OT thought one might be a good idea but he doesnt like it much. Im thinking something like the shoulder thingy or lap pad might be better. Can anyone make a suggestion about one of these and where to get it from please?

Hi

We got Chloe a weighted blanket from sensorydirect.com They are a UK based company (Worcester i think). It cost just over £100 including postage and she loves it! We wrap it around her to help calm her down when she's agitated and it does seem to work. They also make weighted jackets, lap belts etc. Delivery took about two weeks, quality is excellent. Very tempted to buy a weighted jacket next!!

It went to my grans address as the stupid company couldn't tell the difference between a delivery address and a payment address! of course i didn't realise this until when i went to grans in search of something i was borrowing. Gran cant be in 2 places at once so couldn't tell me the blanket had arrived. We haven't managed to put in a complaint yet.

Alexis

Then please feel free to furnish Ruth with the details Alexis.

In case anyone is wondering, Ruth is my sister who owns W2G, she rarely gets anything wrong after 5 years of making weighted blankets when it comes to supplying her goods. (She was the first supplier of weighted goods in the UK.) There could be many reasons why it went to the wrong address, including the fact that you may have put your Grans address in the delivery section, and your own address in the invoice section.

Without the full details, then it's impossible to know exactly what happened, but if you still feel strongly about it, then I'm sure she will look into it.

Edited by Quinny

Then please feel free to furnish Ruth with the details Alexis.

In case anyone is wondering, Ruth is my sister who owns W2G, she rarely gets anything wrong after 5 years of making weighted blankets when it comes to supplying her goods. (She was the first supplier of weighted goods in the UK.) There could be many reasons why it went to the wrong address, including the fact that you may have put your Grans address in the delivery section, and your own address in the invoice section.

Without the full details, then it's impossible to know exactly what happened, but if you still feel strongly about it, then I'm sure she will look into it.

I owe you and your sister an apology, for some reason the delivery address on the paypal receipt was different to the delivery address

on the order form for weight2go. As it was a present to me and the order was done very quickly before my relative went on holiday i

can see how the mistake was made. It was just unfortunate that we hadn't noticed this error and corrected it sooner.

These items give feedback to the senses, reducing the requirement for self stimming. I have had good results from heavy blankets, tight tucking in, vibrating cushions and knobbly dog toys. This feedback and weight effect can also fun for those lucky enough to be able to have it. Piling sofa cushions on top of autie kids and sitting on top of them (responsibly, obviously) gives them fun or calmness and enjoyment in many cases.

The same benefit can sometimes be had with other senses too. For example a racing brain at bedtime can be calmed by using a radio turned down low so you can barely hear it. White noise is good (the sssshhhhhhh sound in-between FM stations) or classical music stations. I have used this method to help me sleep when thoughts are too noisy and perhaps more importantly to reduce night terrors. Some people sell white noise generators, some psychiatrists use them constantly in their consulting room, subliminally.

Sometimes smell sense is helped overnight too with the plug in fresheners, especially with calming scents such as lavender etc. I developed the idea after buying a calming plug in thing for my former cat.

By providing the autistic wideband unfiltered brain with some focal point, it can stop it panic-processing everything.

Edited by AUT1E

I owe you and your sister an apology, for some reason the delivery address on the paypal receipt was different to the delivery address

on the order form for weight2go. As it was a present to me and the order was done very quickly before my relative went on holiday i

can see how the mistake was made. It was just unfortunate that we hadn't noticed this error and corrected it sooner.

No problem Alexis.

As I said, Ruth rarely gets anything wrong when it come to something like this, and if anything like this were to happen, believe me she would be mortified as she has built her reputation on excellent service. She has exported stuff all over the world with no problems. Even though we live 100 miles apart, I have actually despatched items for her personallly when I have been to visit her at her workshop when she's been busy, and although I've been involved in the transportation of goods for over 30 years, she still checked up on me!!!!

She's mowed out at the moment, and her attention to detail will still remain the same.

Ken.

Edited by Quinny

No problem Alexis.

As I said, Ruth rarely gets anything wrong when it come to something like this, and if anything like this were to happen, believe me she would be mortified as she has built her reputation on excellent service. She has exported stuff all over the world with no problems. Even though we live 100 miles apart, I have actually despatched items for her personally when I have been to visit her at her workshop when she's been busy, and although I've been involved in the transportation of goods for over 30 years, she still checked up on me!!!!

She's mowed out at the moment, and her attention to detail will still remain the same.

Ken.

Thanks for understanding. I was wondering if you did lap quilts as I find it difficult to

transport my blanket to meetings and social events?

I find my blanket is extremely helpful for 'grounding me' when im overloading. I had a situation

today in a social group where a member turned up annoyed at me then started verbally attacking me.

I just screamed and hid under my blanket, within about 30mins I had settled down enough to drive.

My blanket has the added effect of improving my co ordination and it happens to be warm as well.

I do wonder what people think of me walking through a shopping centre with a blanket over my shoulder.

Sorry for the late reply.

Ruth does shoulder wraps which can be put under say a coat, but it will make you look like a bodybuilder. :lol: They can be viewed on her website.

She also does small lap pads which sounds similar to what you've asked.

Edited by Quinny