Sign in to follow this  
~Jonathan~

Favourite guitarists?

For those of you who like to listen to guitar music, who are your current favourites? For me, it's Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani and Richard Thompson. What are yours?

I must also mention Gary Moore and Robben Ford. These are my favourites at the moment.

Hi

Some of my all time bests are Stevie Ray Vaughn and Buddy Guy

All time worst... Steve Vai.. very proficient technically but the guy aint got no soul!!

Great thread

redberry

I would have to say old slowhand himself, Eric Clapton!

Oooh yes, old Clappers, how could I forget him? And David Gilmour. I agree with redberry with regards Steve Vai however he did play one song which blew me away - Tender Surrender from the Alien Love Secrets EP. That was quite simply breath-taking.

Oooh yes, old Clappers, how could I forget him? And David Gilmour. I agree with redberry with regards Steve Vai however he did play one song which blew me away - Tender Surrender from the Alien Love Secrets EP. That was quite simply breath-taking.

I sort of agree (quite grudgingly!)

His technical perfectness is just so offputting in my humble opinion.

His ego even for a guitarist (ducks incase husband reads this) is HUGE.

I think Neil Young is very under rated as a guitarist. Not particularly technically up there, but plays with 100% heart.

Gary Moore has best 'guitar face' though

redberry

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Jonathan,

Best guitarist my son would say the lead from Iron Maiden and Jimmy Hendrix

I would agree but would have to add Dire Straits :lol::lol::lol:

Regards

Hailey

John Lee Hooker is the man. And, now dont laugh, Paul Weller has become a fine guitarist, saw him live just b4 xmas and he was pretty good

John Lee Hooker is the man. And, now dont laugh, Paul Weller has become a fine guitarist, saw him live just b4 xmas and he was pretty good

John Lee Hooker! Absolutely!

Paul Weller...he is Ok Ijust dont 'get' him

He just doesn't groove my truffles!

redberry

Gary Moore has best 'guitar face' though

:lol:

Albert Collins can do a mean 'guitar face' as can Buddy Guy and B.B. King once stated that his grandkids call him Old Lemon Face because he looks like he's sucking on a lemon when he plays :D

Yep, can go with Iron Maiden and Dire Straits - I got myself Back to Shangri-La by Mark Knopfler recently and his playing reminded me of Chris Rea's playing on the Dancing with Strangers album.

Never been a lover of Hendrix though the Band of Gypsies album was okay. I concur that Paul Weller is a good player but like redberry, don't 'get' him either and of course, he made disparaging remarks about Clapton and that takes a few marks off him at the very least :D

Justin Adams is a good player too - is currently with Robert Plant and has played with Jah Wobble.

Jimmy Page!!! Fools, how could you mention David Gilmour before him? :P

Edited by Gilbo

Oooh Jimmy Page. Nice one B)

And John Sykes, listening to him now. Very good guitarist.

In fairness to Steve Vai (who was taught by Joe Satriani - for me a definite guitar god) He did a pretty good job of the guitar duel between the devil and Ralph (wotsisname - The Karate Kid) in Crossroads - young guy goes in search of the lost blues song. Don't think the "Karate Kid" played acoustic - that was Ry Cooder (Not mentioned yet but he did win in the film!)

As for Garry Moore, unless he's cleaned up his attitude since '86 (Milton Keynes supporting Marillion) I would never listen to him -except some of the old stuff with Phil.

The best guitarists I ever heard were a double acoustic, in a cafe in Montmatre. Right time, right place, right company. :lol:

As for Garry Moore, unless he's cleaned up his attitude since '86 (Milton Keynes supporting Marillion) I would never listen to him

What did he do to make you go off him?

I once met a guitarist I admired and he was so obnoxious, ill-mannered and egotistical that I've never been able to listen to him since. I shall make a note not to meet Gary though I am off to see him in support of B.B. King's final UK tour in April.

***Okay, I must add both Ted Turner and Andy Powell from Wishbone Ash.***

Edited by ~Jonathan~

Dave Gilmour makes me shudder...and not in a good way either! :P

Do tell Gary Moore story Richt! Love "the cafe in Monmatre" conjured up cool!

Ry Cooder of course. Brilliant.

Loved that guitar 'duel with the devil' in Cross Roads. Even tho it was Steve 'up his self' Vai!

BB Kings Lemon face is a CLASSIC :huh: tch! theres not a smilie to it justice.

My old man has a fab guitar face too!

redberry

Sorry folks, been off bb and mobile for a bit in the country - does the world of good.

Gary Moore, what did he do red? Just proved he was an arrogant sob. Them was the days you could go to a gig (Ok they were plastic bottles of pop) but when he started posing he got nailed by the pack. "If you don't stop throwing those bottles I'll walk off the stage" Threatened to take his guitar home. Most folks were waiting for Jethro Tull to properly open for Marillion. It was a really hot day, guess poor old Gary got a duff time!

Ian Anderson came on stage and focussed the crowd, engaged them, far better professional (but not a guitarist) - maybe a mandolin counts???? :jester:

Sorry folks, been off bb and mobile for a bit in the country - does the world of good.

Gary Moore, what did he do red? Just proved he was an arrogant sob. Them was the days you could go to a gig (Ok they were plastic bottles of pop) but when he started posing he got nailed by the pack. "If you don't stop throwing those bottles I'll walk off the stage" Threatened to take his guitar home. Most folks were waiting for Jethro Tull to properly open for Marillion. It was a really hot day, guess poor old Gary got a duff time!

Ian Anderson came on stage and focussed the crowd, engaged them, far better professional (but not a guitarist) - maybe a mandolin counts???? :jester:

Mandolins definately count! B)

How about Ronnie McCoury?

redberry

I'm personally listening to Gary Moore at the moment, an album called Power of the Blues with Bob Daisley on bass. I was watching the 1987 concert on video that Gary recorded from Isstadion Stadium with Bob on bass and he looks totally different now. The ageing process takes no prisoners does it?

Oh come on...

Where is Pete Townsend in all of this?? Listen to the acoustic stuff too - 'sparks' on Tommy for instance... Yep, heads up too to Ry cooder, clapton etc, and all those blues legends too - but what about some of the 'unsung heroes' - Julian Cope can play like a demon... Nobody else 'riffs' like wilco Johnston, and Roy Harper can play a mean acosustic too...

and GEEK OF THE WEEK (VERY appropriate for this forum) David Byrne!

Mark Knopfler?? Probably one of the most technically talented players ever - so why does it sound so soulless?

Actually-- this list is endless and i'm knackered -

Laters, taters

BD :D

Hi im steve the hubby of pingu..... :dance: dont post that often well never yet infact.......but here goes my fave guitarist besides myself :dance: has to be Bryan Josh of mostly autumn he is fantastic If you get the chance have a listen to heroes never die or shrinking violet oh and the ma version of smoke on the water .........www.mostly-autumn.co.uk cya :wub:

Edited by pingu

Hi Steve.

what guitar/s do you have..what kind of music do you play ??

Im going to check out the web site you suggested.

Our house is FULL of guitars :dance:

redberry

Townsend for his windmill, Paige for epic performance, Hendrix for genius and have to mention Jack White for pure rawness.

Listening to Robert Plant and The strange Sensations new album, Mighty Rearranger..tis pretty damn good for an old timer. Stones take note!!

Mighty Rearranger has been on a heavy rotation in this house since its release and I was very fortunate indeed to see Robert Plant & Strange Sensation at WOMAD last year. They were brilliant.

As for Mark Knopfler, I watched the film Wag the Dog last night and was convinced it was J.J. Cale playing the lead in solo and it was Mark. I agree that he can sound soulless but his playing on WtD was great and his recent album Back to Shangri-La was lovely, in a Chris Rea/Tony Joe White kind of way.

I must also mention Albert Lee.

Edited by ~Jonathan~

Not so much a great guitarist BUT...singer songwriter FAB beyond all FABNESSS :wub:

Check out RAY LAMONTAGNE

seriously top musician guys.

redberry

have to mention Jack White for pure rawness.

Well I'm glad somebody has mentioned him at last. I thought I was on my own for a minute. And he's quite sweet too, methinks.

Agree about Mark Knopfler as well. Great player but he doesn't half send you to sleep.

Karen

x

Just though I'd mention. I went to see Gary Moore last week in support of B.B. King and the man was on fire as per usual. Amazing performance. B.B. was brilliant. It was a very emotional evening.

Hello!

I have many recordings of Andr�s Segovia, the legendary spanish Maestro (1893 Linares - 1987 Madrid);

I am particularly interested in Segovia recordings, first and foremost regarding

1) Time of recordings, i.e. recording years, month and day

2) Maestro's interpretations, which move me a lot.

I also have some recordings of John Williams

Julian Bream's recordings are also part of my collection.

I was lucky to attend a concert featuring John Williams in Norway.

For me it was a wonderful evening I will never forget.

Andreas

:)