Sign in to follow this  
oracle

Ritalin makes the news

Carole,

I dont know anything about Ritalin really, as we declined to put my son on it at the time, we felt he was

far to young then and haven't pursued it since.

Do children that are on it get regular checks? this is sooo worrying for parents of children on it, they really should get this looked into 100% properly, people are allowing their children to take it so that it helps them, then they come up against this. :(

Brook

yes my daughter takes it she takes the slow release version and has been successfully on it for 2 years. to be honest, i do get a little fed up with people always talking about the bad. there is so much good that it can do. it has given my daughter a life and an education. i dont see why, that i as a parent always feel i have to defend my decisions about putting my daughter on a drug that helps her so much.

the only thing i can say is, until you have a child that is a danger to themselves and others, and a child that cannot function in a mainstream school without it its hard to be objective.

without the drug she would be in a special school achieving low and another statistic and probably taught with ebd. i would be critisised about being a bad parent and unable to cope with my child.

as it is people critisise me for putting her on this dangerous drug because i want a quiet life. i can cope with that as long as my daughter is happy and achieving at school.

right, i have read the stats. how many thousands of children take this drug. now lets look at the facts. 25 children and adults have died taking this drug, 54 cases of cardiovasular problems. right, now lets look at the amount of children on this drug that if they were not on this drug could end up self medicating with drugs and alchohol, depression, anti social problems and even suicide. i wonder what the stats would be then??

shall we look at the stats of paracetomol deaths or serious damage cause by even accidental overdose?? this is a potentialy leathel drug that can be bought over the counter. i cant say no more about it. thats the facts as i see them.

My son takes Riatalin, and without it life would certainly be hell for us and him. He has regular checks with his Paedatrician, every three months, and is told to see the nurse at his surgery once every 6 months.

He has his weight, height, and blood pressure took, and he is fine.

Without these pills he would be like a tazmanian devil on speed! so we need the tablets so he is able to get on with normal everyday life, as he should be able to.

i am sure if there were these risks they wouldnt be able to use them.

illy

Hi,

It's always worrying whatever medication your child is on. Kai is on Concerta and Risperidone, but like illy and darky, life would be hell without it.

I always take these reports with a very large pinch of salt (especially the american ones). You need to look at the stats and randomised controlled trials.

The possible side effects of all drugs are listed in the packet, if you read them all you would never take anything. You need to weigh up the pros and cons.

Loulou x

The link to the Radio 5 debate is in the other part of the forum,

My son has been on Ritalin for nearly 3 years, he only usually takes it for school. I can't knock the progress he has made since starting on it.

Doesn't upset me in the slightest carole, I prefer to read these articles and keep up to date with any valid reseach, I have much stronger views on other meds, and an Aunty who died by overdosing on 8 paracetamols in 24 hours.

I did a lot of my own research when my son was given Ritalin before allowing him to take it.

Edited by lil_me

My Mum has ask me not to let K have it. I must admit if offerd i would try it and see if it helps him. I think if it did it would make life better for us all. Thers a lot in the press but i dont tend to read it. I do have trust in my boys pead not to give me bad advice. He offerd k meds ones for bed wetting but wornd of realy bad side effects and said it wasent a drug he liked to give out. We decided to put up with bed wetting

J has been on this since he was 4 - I worry about it, especially as both sides of the family have problems with essential hypertension but I know what he's like without it ... catch 22 situation :huh:

He is monitored once a year for height, weight and blood pressure.

Hi Carole >:D<<'> ,

I wasn't offended by the article. I always read whatever's written about Ritalin, but i never take it too seriously. Ritalin has made life much better for us.

Loulou x

I would not trust Ritalin at all my son was put on it and after he starte dit he just changed into a zombie and there was no personality anymore, we took him straight off it and was told it was part of cocaine, not sure if that is true but I would NOT reccomend it.