Sign in to follow this  
hev

caffiene withdrawals

on average i drink about 10 coffees a day which is far too much so yesterday i had 2,none today but my head is throbbing,worst headache ive had,kept me awake last night,could i be having withdrawals from the caffiene?paracetamols not helping,if anyone has experienced this how long does it take to go,if there is such a thing,im thinking it might be in my mind but the headache seems very real :crying::crying:

hev,

It could well be caffeine withdrawal.

I drink a lot of coffee and tea and I've had headaches too when I've had to go a day without any. I tried once to give up tea altogether and by the end of the second day I felt so awful I abandoned the idea.

Perhaps you could try withdrawing more gradually - cutting down slowly over a period of time to give your body time to get used to it and see if that helps?

If it works tell me. I should really do the same but I'm too much of a coward to cut out one of my main comforts in life. :rolleyes:

I hope your headache gets better soon. >:D<<'>

K x

Oh yes!

On top of everything else I now have a kidney stone (this time last week I thought I was heading for hospital in an ambulance). Talking to the doctor it 'may' have been caused by the amount of caffine, in things like diet cola, and coffee I drank (caffiene free coffee for ages). So no more, or very little coffee (de-caff or not it still affects the kidneys apparently) or caffienated drinks for me. They actually dehydrate you and they believe that is what has caused the stone. I was warned that I would get withdrawl symptoms exactly as you describe. Luckily I haven't. But it sounds like you haven't been so lucky. >:D<<'>

Edited by phasmid

Hi Hev,

I have recently been weaning myself off caffeine. I was drinking about 6 cups of tea a day. I had really bad headaches for about a week and i was also a bit shaky and moody (nice!). I feel fine now and i'm sleeping MUCH better.

Like Kathryn says, try reducing it gradually. I tried normal tea in the mornings, then went onto decaf in the afternoons. Now i have one caffeine fix when i get up (i need it), then it's decaf for the rest of the day! do you like herbal teas? I bought a box of mixed varieties and some of them are really nice.

Loulou xx

my headaches gone now but i had to drink half a bottle diet coke to get rid of it!!had no coffee at all today and one tea,i did a search on net about caffiene withdrawal and one man said he had such a bad headache morphine couldnt shift it,could that be true? im going to perservere though,its surprising how many people drink too much coffee though

Definitely true. I'm not a big coffee or tea drinker but I did go through huge amounts of diet coke and when I stopped drinking it I had really bad headaches for 2-3 days - it did clear up after that though.

Lynne x

I tried to give up tea once - I went on one of those detox diets & at the end of the first day I had a headache so bad I had to go to bed.

The next morning it was worse and I felt giddy - so I had a cuppa and bingo - I felt fine!!The detox drink went in the bin.

I am at home all day & I do drink too much tea so now for every cup of tea I drink a glass of water or if its cold weather a mug of hot water or fruit tea.

Its a really hard addiction - but hey everyone has to have something to keep them going!!!!

I tried to give up chocolate once too but life's too short!!!

Nikki

the trouble is nikki,ive got too many things that keep me going,prozac,food,caffiene,somethings gotta go and its not the prozac!!

still got a headache today but its only my 2nd day,i do find though when i havent got a lot to do i normally put kettle on,i didnt realise it would be this hard!!

Caffeine is the only crutch I've got left. I admire anyone wo can even consider giving it up.

go hev!

I loooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee coffee!!!!. Is my only thing left too!!! Have to have a fresh pot of two cups every morning before I can talk properly..and without it my headaches are severe!!! I see no need to give it up in my case so its ok :clap:

my head has been throbbing for days,havent hardly slept but the caffiene will not win :star: my family keep asking why i need to give it up but i need to as im totally addicted to it,i shake if i cant have it,that cant be right so its got to go,wish this headache would go,maybe i shouldnt have give it up for half term though,not a wise move :crying:

My hubbs gave up caffeine for lent last year and he was the most horrible person to live with for a good three weeks :( He was aggressive, foul-mouthed, unreasonable and flew off the handle at the slightest thing. He was really worried for his sanity at one point.

He's still off the caffeine because he couldn't believe the effect it had obviously had on him.

Needless to say I have not given up caffeine.

Daisy

Hev,

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I hope you get over the worst of the headaches soon. Good luck.

In my first term of teaching because I was so nervous I was going through a jar of coffee a week just at school, drinking at least a dozen cups during the working day. I used to feel shaky and jittery all the time and it was mostly the caffeine!

I'm not quite so addicted now, but I still couldn't live without it. :rolleyes:

K

Hev,

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I hope you get over the worst of the headaches soon. Good luck.

In my first term of teaching because I was so nervous I was going through a jar of coffee a week just at school, drinking at least a dozen cups during the working day. I used to feel shaky and jittery all the time and it was mostly the caffeine!

I'm not quite so addicted now, but I still couldn't live without coffee and tea, and I'd rather go to a coffee house than a pub these days. :rolleyes:

K

headache slighty better,bought some decaf teabags yesterday,i think im very irritable though,steven just locked me out the back as a little joke :dance::dance: so when he finally let me in i chased him up the stairs and he hid in the toilet!!im not going to give in though,im just shocked at the way its affecting me

yeah thanks daisy,after the first three days of headaches which were awful ive been fine,i have a couple of cups of decaf tea now a day and drink loads of water,cant believe i done it,i also had shakes,shows i got some willpower which i didnt think i had!!

as a caffene addict myself i can tell you that caffene withdrawl is very real

i am gessing i take about 500 grams of caffene a day (probberbly more) and if i suddenly cut out my caffene intake i get head aches, sleepy, irratible, loud, reckless, depreshion,mood swings, pain in my eyes, loss of appitite and disoriantation

it is very un pleasent to say the least and caffene withdrawl is not nice at all but is is very real

i remember once my mum stopped me drinking dr pepper and kick ( my main 2 caffene source's) thinking i would get better well i dident get better at all i got depressed i had head aches i was sleeping all the time and when i was awake i was loud and irratible i dident eat anything for 3 days solid and was genrally a mess

i dident like it and nither did my mum it took me a while to get back to normal afta that but i hated it