Tez

Fruit squashes which do not contain aspartame

I need some help. A is very fussy about what he will drink. I now urgently need to find a brand of fruit squash that does not contain aspartame and preferably does not contain any other articial sweetener either, can anyone advise on a suitable product?

Until recently he'd been drinking coca-cola to excess. I put a stop to it because I thought he was becoming addicted, have to say it didn't seem to be having any advers effect, but I didn't want it to continue.

Since he won't drink plain water, fruit juices, milk or any milk based product, tea or coffee, his coke drinking habit was replaced by drinking flavoured water and the occasional glass of squash. Unfortunately, since we started this about 6 weeks ago, A has started to become extremely depressed again, has had constant diahrohea with some bleeding and has developed acid reflux. There is no medical reason for this and the Dr doesn't think it's due to stopping the coke, but he told me that to check whether the flavoured water contained aspartame becasue his symptoms were highly suggestive of aspartame intolerance.

It had never occured to me that a product labelled pure spring water with added pure fruit juice with no additives would contain this but to my surprise it did. Over the last few days we have tried adding pure fruit juice to water but he won't drink this. Any other suggestions welcomed because at the moment I'm desparate.

If he's ok with cartons then Boots sell this Roald Dahl branded fruit drink that has no additives or aspartame or stuff like that in.

Thanks Both,

I've just been and had a look in Tesco. Their Hi-juice squash does contain Aspartame but the Roc Orange Orangic squash doesn't so I've bought a bottle of that to try, keeping my fingers crossed that he will drink it, but on past experience the chances are slim. I'll also have a look in Boots during the week at the Roald Dahl branded drinks and just generally have a look at all drinks when I'm out shopping to see what I can find.

It's at times like this that A's disability really comes home to me. Other parents just say, tell him it's that or nothing, he'll soon drink it when he's thirsty. Well, A does conform with the you won't do something, but this won't force him to do something he's not prepared to do for sensory reasons. We did ask both his paediatrician and OT for help in this area but both said it was part of the condition and there was nothing that they could do to help given that he's now 14.

Asda do a blackcurrant hi juice with no aspartame. IIRC it has sodium benzoate though, but you'll be pushed to find any that don't. Can't check as we don't drink it any more.

Karen

x

Thanks Karen,

Another one to add to the list to try.

Husband says if all else fails he could always try cider, beer or lager :o Thankfully (I think), he's equally as unlikely to drink these.

Edited by Tez

Hi

I know how frustrated you are I cant have aspartamine too as well as J but to be honest it is in absaloutly

everything, you really need to read the back of it evertime you buy something, normally if it says sugar free you know its got sweeteners in its place.

I drink Ribena but stay off the sugar free one, I also love and adore copella drinks with a variety and all natural, you can water these too as there pure so a little bit of water is fine.

you have to bare in mind the exspence but cheep drinks you pay with your health in the end.

Fresh fruit is a great replacement too, oranges, keiwie, raspberrys and we love making our own milkshakes and then you get them involved too this way as J loves pressing the botton and watches the raspberries be evulperised as he puts it.

We make banana milkshakes with real icecream in it again organic and no sweeteners.

Go natural is probably the best but to be honest read everything you buy!!

Js Mum

Thanks Js mum,

I was shocked how many products contain artificial sweeteners when there would seem no need, why would you need aspartame in a savoury product such as crisps? But it's in them! As you said, if it's processed, it's likely to contain an artificial sweetner. Fortunately, although A's diet is very restricted, it contains very few processed foods. Unfortunately, though fruit and vegetables are things which he just will not tolerate even when juiced and mixtures of food are a real no, no!

If he's ok with cartons then Boots sell this Roald Dahl branded fruit drink that has no additives or aspartame or stuff like that in.

Thanks Bullet, I didn't know about the Roald Dhal drinks, seeing as my son is a big fan of his I'm

definitely going to try them. ;)

Tez,

I googled for the Roald Dhal drinks and found this link, you have to scroll down to where it says

'something to try'

http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/start/kid...article_ID=1673

Brook

Thanks Brook,

I shop regularly in Sainsburys so that will be more convenient than Boots.

I also have to report some success with the Roc Oragnic squash. He's tried it and whilst he's not keen says he can tolerate it, so at least that's one thing he will drink.

Hi again I understand that a lot of what I suggested your child can not tolerate so I have another suggestion have you been referred to a Dietition, she may also look at why it is he cant tolerate the foods, drinks, is there a chance he has food fobia or something alike.

Js Mum

Hi J's mum,

A's problems with food are due to sensory integration dysfunction, so he was seen jointly by a nutritional expert and an Occupational Therapist. Unfortunately, his problems are so severe they didn't feel able to help. I was told that where intervention sometimes helps is with children under the age of 10. A is now 14 and they told me that sensory integration therapies have not been found to be useful at this age (probably just being fobbed off but not alot I can do about it).

I am interested in seeing whether visual perception correction techniques such as those offered by Ian Jordan might help but I'd have to pay for the assessment and at the moment don't have the money to do so.

Edited by Tez

Just another thought.. Have you tried fruit smoothies? J has the Innocent brand, they're all fruit with nothing iffy added, and they are absolutely gorgeous. You can buy in 1 litre cartons or individual lunchbox sizes, loads of flavours. J likes the amusing packaging, eg the 'Keep Britain Tidy' message which says 'Tuck your shirt in, comb your hair and give your shoes a bit of a polish'.

Karen

x

My boy was addicted to Ribena (which when I read the label said not for under 3's! Yikes) - he switched onto Rocks Organic blackcurrant with only a little fuss - its not cheap but you dont need to use very much. Get it from Tesco organic section and they also do orange and lemon. Got no cr*p in at all.

Thanks Both,

I've just been and had a look in Tesco. Their Hi-juice squash does contain Aspartame but the Roc Orange Orangic squash doesn't so I've bought a bottle of that to try

Hi Tez -

I'm fairly sure at least part of Tesco's high juice range is Aspartame free... Are you sure you weren't looking at the 'No Added Sugar' versions? Basically, anything saying 'No added sugar' (whatever brand) WILL almost certainly have aspartame in, 'cos that's what they add instead of the sugar!! I can't remember who's it was, but one brand of high juice did contain both, so even if you find a safe looking orange squash, say, it's a must to check out the rest of the range seperately rather than assume that the whole range will be suitable...

Hope that helps

BD :D

morrisons / safeway too ? blackcurrant hi-juice has no aspartame but does have sodium benzoate in it :( most drinks have this in some form, I think.

I just make it really weak ie. just show the glass the bottle :D and only let em have one glass at mealtimes, if they're still thirsty than they get water ( am mean mum !)

when the shopping just been done then they have diluted apple juice,

wac

In the 1980s and early 90s you could buy concentrated pure orange and grape juice that had to be mixed with water in a 1:3 ratio before drinking. The concentrate resembled syrup but when diluted tasted better than most already diluted pure juices made from concentrated juice.

Can you still buy soda stream concentrates? I don't think they contain aspartame but they are probably loaded with artificial colours. Then can be added directly to water.

The most 'additive-free' juices are those that say 'not made from concentrate'. They are the most expensive, of course. We avoid apple, balckcurrant and citrus in our 'low phenol' household.

One of our staples is Rubicon Mango juice (made from concentrate!) which is very gloopy and does well when watered down. Tesco have it in their ethnic aisle where I live.

I need some help. A is very fussy about what he will drink. I now urgently need to find a brand of fruit squash that does not contain aspartame and preferably does not contain any other articial sweetener either, can anyone advise on a suitable product?

Sainsburys own brand squashes (they might be called High Juice) are aspartame-free - although they do contain a great deal of sugar! There are some nice flavours, it's a drinks staple of mine. They have Apple and Blackcurrant, Grapefruit, Lemon, Orange I think and I can't remember what else. Lots of variety, but I've never seen them all in one shop.

I'm not on any 'official' restricted diet but am totally intolerant of sweeteners - basically if I can taste them I can't drink/eat whatever it is!

Check the labels, have never had the orange one but A&B, Grapefruit and Lemon are all definately OK.

Anything organic should be additive free. My son has Rocks orange juice too. Not a fan of orange squash myself but I think it tastes quite nice too!

Lx

Hi

I shop in Tescos and the only juice that definately does contain aspertame is Ribena, the normal non sugar free one, expensive but well worth it.

Thanks Js mum,

I was shocked how many products contain artificial sweeteners when there would seem no need, why would you need aspartame in a savoury product such as crisps? But it's in them! As you said, if it's processed, it's likely to contain an artificial sweetner.

been looking back at old threads,didnt realise crisps had aspartame in them :o

You learn to read through packaging at the supermarket hun >:D<<'> Quite alot now says 'Free from.......' (thank you Jamie Oliver!), although you still need to check those for hidden nasties. Easy once you get going - plus, your shopping bill goes down - 'coz your not tempted to buy the rubbish on offer! :thumbs:

And some stores will give you a list of products that don't contain cr*p.

For drinks - i usually get the Tesco high-juice or the Rocks squash.

thanks noetic,found out today that chewing gum has aspartame in it,not hubba bubba though,im very surprised how much stuff aspartame is in

thanks noetic,found out today that chewing gum has aspartame in it,not hubba bubba though,im very surprised how much stuff aspartame is in

Most gum is sugar free nowadays, I guess it's one of these tooth health things. :(

Da-yamm! And i've been saving up for a pair of Bazooka Joe X-Ray spex!!

Seriously, if it says 'sugar free' or 'no added sugar' aspartame (and/or by any other name) will be there somewhere...

Right, I'm orf to feed my sea monkeys and post a postal order for my green hornet decoder ring...

l8rs t8rs

L&P

Right, I'm orf to feed my sea monkeys and post a postal order for my green hornet decoder ring...

l8rs t8rs

L&P

you definately been on the beer last night bighead :dance::drunk: