Sign in to follow this  
virtualvisual

Sheer relief

I've spent the last 6 years doubting myself and the diagnosis of Aspreger's that Alex got when he was 6 because of people (and professionals) saying he is either normal or just weird or affected by me leaving his birth father because of his violence (no one has ever said the violence itself could have affected him :blink:) .

The referral letter to the young peoples psychology team sat on the school doctors desk for 6 months until he turned 13 and was old enough to skip the childrens dept (who I have had problems with over my other son). And finally Alex had his first meeting with the psychologist last week and for the first time in years I could relax, she actually looked me in the eye and said he's a healthy, charming, normal boy who is clearly on the ASD spectrum. She was a little bit shocked I think when I burst into tears :crying: I did my crying over the diagnosis a long time ago it was just the fact that someone else saw the problems and didn't question the truth of everything I said. She is going to try and track down his notes because when we moved 350 miles away someone managed to muck up the medical note transfer and lost the lot hence the fact that everyone was wondering if I made it all up, and after all the grief I had getting a note about Munchausen's removed from his medical notes when he was little I was so scared of getting dragged down that route again .

Spent over 2 hours talking to her and even discussed medications for his ADD (not an option at the moment but if he needs them for school we'll look at it again) , she asked if I wanted help applying for DLA (we already get it) and shes going to get our names down for any courses that come up locally and we can always say no.

She is getting in touch with school this week to see what problems he has there and if there is anything she can do to help. The school themselves have been mostly good (the odd problem where his LSA has stopped going to certain classes because "he can cope with the work" only to find that he can't cope with the other kids) so all in all things are finally getting sorted, now to sort out the childrens dept into getting James assessments typed up and an appointment sorted to discuss them .......wonder if they will get them done before he turns 13 in January? :ph34r:

glad to hear things are moving for you and yours >:D<<'>

keep an eye on that school though - that is exactly how it started for Com last year, they thought he could cope, didn't even tell us or prepare him and he ended up in an anxiety spiral we're still trying to pull him out of more than a year on.

If the support is in a statement then they are breaking the law by removing it.

Zemanski

We are in Scotland so I'm still trying to work out the system since the record of needs (our version of statements) was phased out but I will be keeping an eye on it. The head of the support base has been on maternity leave and her replacement has been trying one or two things (including reducing support) but I have a meeting with the ed psy and her next week to sort it out.