• Husband / Wife of an ASD spouse
    • Grandparent of ASD person
    • Brother/Sister to an ASD person
    • Friend of the family
    • ... Other family member
    • Carer
    • Health/Education Professional
    • Other

i am the mother of an asd child the wife of an asd husband the auntie of an asd child and a preety sure the ex wife of an asd adult :wallbash:

cats may be self-centred but they know exactly how to manipulate the world to their advantage

their eye contact issues are definitely culturally based, in cat culture closing your eyes at someone is the equivalent to blowing a kiss :lol:B)

Zemanski

I ticked education professional, sounds much better that Teaching Assistant anyway.

I could also vote other family member because my niece has recently been given AS diagnosis.

I'm sure I've heard the phrase 'autistic cousin' meaning you have a few slight traits. Can I be an autistic cousin please?

SV

my mother outlaw still knits Nemo's socks - he won't wear anything else but those awful shapeless neon cotton towelling things from the 70s otherwise and you can't get them for love nor money.

I hate Nemo's socks

are you sure you want socks for Xmas, SV - I'm good with a crochet hook :lol:

Oh dear, this poll isn't as simple as it first appeared. It just goes to show what an awkward - I mean diverse bunch we are!

Z - Crochet socks are as much use as a chocolate teapot! But, I'd rather have a chocolate teapot! :thumbs:

SV

I just voted professional, not because that's my main role but because I figured we wouldn't be all that well represented in this poll.

the thing is many, many of us are parents/carers first and then everything else after. The poll shows this quite clearly.

what it doesn't show is the sheer diversity of the group which is what comes out of the posts.

just goes to show how stats can become so skewed

Zemanski

Right, been avoiding this one.

Firstly, Zamanski, where did you dig this up from, the first post date was July 26th 2004 and before yesterday the last post was over a year ago. Have you never heard the saying "let sleeping dogs lie," you just had to stir it all up again :lol: I've been laying awake at night worried about this, there are so many ways I can vote. :hypno:

Here goes. I am the mother of two AS kids, wife to pos' AS hubby, sister to(I suspect) two AS brothers, daughter to pos' AS mother, daughter in law to probable AS MIL, aunt to one AS nephew and one ADHD nephew, aunt in law? to autistic nephew. Do I come under education professional as I home educate? I also have friends with AS kids. I think the only box I can't tick is Grandparent (yet :pray: ) I can even tick the pet box, I have this parrot that almost begs to be stroked then runs in panic screeching when you try, and have you ever had a relationship with a tortoise?

Oh god I'm having a hot flush just thinking about it all, must lay down in a darkened room with a large brandy (bottle that is) :drunk:

Viper.

somebody must have bumped it up somehow - I don't go hunting for old threads in the depths, there are quite enough current ones to keep me busy, I never noticed how old it was.

seems popular though

Zemanski

Guest flutter

good god viper you are greedy :lol::lol::lol:

must be something in the water round you

saying that in my town there is a wee pocket where it is better to point out Nt kids rather than others .

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

C x

Me I,m a parent to ASD son who is 10, NT daughter??? who is 7 and NT son who is 3 B) ..................on the subject of cats and dogs, I was under the impression a cat was an autistic dog.

Right - I ticked parent as that's first and foremost

But I'm sure hubby is AS - but in denial!

Somtimes I feel that I am too ... but I'm sure it's catching if you live with 2 or more! :lol:

I am also studying autism as part of my degree course - I started off the course as Teaching Assistant but the stress of the job and caring for J led to the dreaded depression setting in :ph34r:

... so I abandoned the job. :lol:

The degree is based on your workplace, which is now really my home and my role as parent/carer. I'm basing my third year work on implementing the SPELL approach at home (from the NAS EarlyBird Plus course).

I may ask you all to come to a virtual exhibition and give me some feedback in the New Year - it will only be virtual wine and cheese nibbles though ...

:wine::eat1::wine::eat1::wine::eat1::wine:

Not enough tick boxes there for me really ...!

:lol::lol::lol:

But i'm sure hubby is AS but in denial

Same here :lol:

I'm mammy to 4 yr old ASD son and a strange allegedly NT 2yr daughter :lol:

2 cats, 1 aspie, 1 NT, and 1 ASD guinea pig and me, well, :wacko: funny farm here i come :lol:

Mad :dance:

Edited by madmooch

If you point out something to a dog it will look where you are pointing. Do the same to a cat and it will look at the end of your finger. The Mog clearly does not follow protodeclratitive intent and therefore is asd.

:robbie:

Oh well. Mum two 2 aspies. Since dx of daughter recently realise that I'm aspie. Hubbie is aspie. My mum and m-inlaw are Aspie. My uncle (sadly deceased) was probably ASD. Need I go on.

I'm both an ASD person and the parent of an ASD person.

I voted "parent" but it could have been:

ASD person, Husband / Wife of an ASD spouse, Friend of the family, ... Other family member, too.

Madme - I've found a whole bunch of people in our family who are on the spectrum too! Myself included - also ex dh and maybe his Dad, definitely my own Dad and brother, sister, cousin and grandma on my mum's side. I don't remember my grandad on my dad's side but from what I've been told about him, he's definitely there too!

Hello,

I am the mother of an ASD boy and the aunt of an ASD girl. My husband, brother and nephew remain undiagnosed but are definitely on the spectrum.

I am the mum of a 10 year old girl with classic Kanner autism. There are two tenuous family ties with 2 other children with ASD, half cousins on her fathers side, but no real evidence of genetic links for us.

ASD's in my family include spouse, son, uncle, sister, mother in-law, sister in-law, niece.

My cat is not on the spectrum but the hammster could be?

have to say what a shame there are so few professionals on the membership poll. If a few more come on then they could get a real insight into how many of us are so affected. Big up's to the ones that do come on here though :thumbs:

I am mum to ASD child >:D<<'>

Hi

Wonder if it would be worth adding category for parent and spouse of ASD persons. I know that there are some that fall into that category (I do).

Caroline.

Lets see:

Mother - 3 Aspergers (YS +ADHD, dyspraxic)(all dx)

Aunt - HFA (in Oz) dx

Wife -DH undx Aspergers ; has facial agnosia.

SiL - undx Aspergers/Personalaty disorder

SiL - dx bipolar

Sis - personality disorder dx - refuses to tell us what dx is though.

Daughter - Anorexic/ Obessive (my mother)

Friend - to other ASD children through my own.

and then there is ME:

Definitely dyspraxia,

dx auditory procesing disorder (sometimes I can't understand what people are saying to me - I can hear the words but no idea what they mean :hypno: )

? Aspergers myself.