Sign in to follow this  
call me jaded

Does anyone know anything about xylitol?

Although its an article about sugar, there's a negative bit about xylitol in the 2000 article on the Mercola site

http://www.mercola.com/2000/jan/9/killer_s...gar_dangers.htm Shame its not referenced though.

Dr Mercola adds a footnote about new information about safety, including the bit

"In 1996, the Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA), a prestigious scientific advisory body to the World Health Organization and the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, confirmed that adverse findings in animal studies conducted in the 1970s are "not relevant to

the toxicological evaluation of these substances (e.g., xylitol) in humans." "

The fact that there were any adverse findings in animal studies concerns me a bit. My concern is that xylitol will be over used, and eventually become the new aspartame. Also " Xylitol is extracted from birch cellulose and is considered to be a carbohydrate alcohol" does that mean its wood alcohol?

It's a tin I'll probably need to think about a bit more. :unsure:

I have been using small amounts of xylitol for about 3 years I used to get it from the US before it came to the UK but the cost to ship was so high I pressured some health companies to stock it, but they probably would have got round ito it sooner or later.

Xyltiol has been really helpful with blood sugar problems , it has a low glaecaemic index and doesn't raise blood sugar, it is also suposed to act as a probiotic,I no longer have any blood sugar probs and it tastes just like sugar, I used to use stevia although natural tastes like asparmatame yuk. Xylitol is from a plant and is not artificial but it ihas obviously been through a high degree of processing, as a purists I believe all food should be as unadulterated as possible for maximum benefit to health, cooking destroy nutrients and enzymes, but I still use xylitol andI my gut feeling is it can't be any more harmful than eating any other kind of processed food, although i will keep my eyes open for anything contradictory, I haven't seen anything yet but it is still fairly new in the scheme of things

Mercola mentioned in the last post stocks several health products that contain xylitol and so do many other health companies that I use.

Xylitol is a naturally occuring sugar made from the bark of the silver birch tree and has been used in Finland where it was developed for yonks, just after the second world war anyway. It has the unusual effect of not raising blood sugar levels and actually occurs naturally in the body as well as plants and in fact bypasses all the know bad effects of the white powder. Use it myself and am still alive.

try this link

http://www.xylitol.com.au/g/176/about-xylitol.html