Viper

Update!!!!

The house of tiny tearaways just rung. They asked me all sorts of questions and spoke to hubby too. She asked if they could see his medical records and if we could record him on video. They are sending an application form and want a video if possible. She asked what I hope to achieve by going on the show. I said to have him use a toilet to poo even if it is at home only. And to get him to eat more foods than he does.

It's all very exciting, I just hope we get on there, it would be such a great help I think.(I hope)Where is the fingers crossed smiley

Good luck :)

Can I just ask though, are they going to state that your child has an ASD and that therefore they might have to try different strategies than with an NT child? You know your child best, so would know, for example, if things like sticker charts would be a waste of time. So you don't want them to be pushing a suggestion which he would not be able to cope with.

Bullet, I intend to make everything clear to them about what will and won't work. Dr Tanya Byron is a very good psychologist and I am sure she will have dealt with this kind of thing before. I think they will make a point of telling the audience that he has ASD, it is one of the things they were talking about addressing on the programme.

Hope you get on. It will be really interesting to see how they deal with the toilet issue. The food is ok with Adam it's more getting him to stop eating. Sounds good and it would be if he stopped eating his bed. Enyway my fingers are crossed for you

I hope you get on..............have you tried begging..........sometimes works for me :lol: .Rest assured you already have a huge fanclub here ready to cheer you on. :D

Good luck Viper.

Can some kind person please explain the format of this show to me as I've never seen it before?

K

Kathryn,

2 or 3 families stay together in a house for a week fitted all over with cameras where Dr Tanya can observe them interacting together etc. she then tries to target the specific problems each family are having and is usually pretty good at spotting 'triggers' etc.

Good luck Viper !

Looks like it may be interesting - useful for other parents in the same situation too :)

More power to your elbow - let us know how it goes :)

had a second thought.. which should be ignored but I had it anyway :blink: I was just wondering, how being on tv will be for the child? Not now obviously, but as he is older and hopefully all problems in the rear view mirror.. what will he think of having been on telly for these probs when he is more aware? I'm thinking long term obviously.. I was just doing an excersize in empathy ;) I was trying to imagine my 15 minutes of fame being my most embarasssing childhood moments exposed to the world. I really do see the spectrum as a delay in certain areas of development (and an advancement in other areas) - and I just wonder how it will be taken when the child reaches that area of understanding, that his mum put him on tv to expose things about him he wasn't ready to manage yet? :unsure: At the same time, as I said, it would be a benefit to myself and surely others, and if they give you a fair and educated treatment then I say go for it. :D They didn't have reality tv when I was growing up and I am not sure that the "sweep it under the carpet" attitude did any good anyway. :unsure:

I am sure you have thought it through thoroughly, so just ignore my 'second thought'. I would definately tune in and :thumbs: give support regardless. :)

Yes. I did talk to another tv possibility looking at the flaws shall we say in this approach ie it wont work with ASD adhd children. I think Strange Girl has made very valid comments. Im just wary of this bad child behaviour - regardless of the cause- bad parent link. Have they ever heard of ABA? Ive never tried but from what ive seen and a freiends home programme it does appear to have a result. Is this soethingf these so called tv psychologists would approve of?

I asked you about this on another post but don't think you saw it and then was going to PM you but figured you'd post if you heard. :D

Sooo pleased you ahve heard. Do you know when you'll find out if you are successful and when the show is being filmed and aired??

I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you Viper. :pray::pray::pray:

Edited by Tylers-mum

Strange girl and madme, I do fully agree with what you are saying and have thought this through. My situation is one of last resort, Ben is 5yrs and 4 months now and we have been through all the suggested procedures regarding his problems. The last option open to us is to see a psychologist, unfortunately we have no one in our area who can see Ben right now, there is a post available but no one has filled it, the job has been open for some time now and there is a waiting list for a psychologist that does not exist.

The way I look at it is, do I go on a TV programme while Ben is 5 and maybe get a solution, or leave things as they are and have him wearing nappies until he is 15 or longer? I think by the time he is old enough to realise what went on it will be forgotten about. Ben can't attend school because of his toilet problems so he won't be in contact with anyone that might see the programme. In the long run what will be more embarrassing, a mother who put him on a show when he was 5 or not being able to join the real world as a teenager or adult because he wears a nappy to poo?

This is something I have struggled with and if I could get an appointment with a psychologist then I wouldn't do it, but all avenues seem to be closed now.

To be honest, when I wrote the email to the programme I wasn't even thinking about it being on TV, I just desperately need someone to help. I have since wrestled with the idea and come to the conclusion that if I am in this situation then there must be many more people out there who are too and by seeing it on TV we may help others. It may also send a message to the powers that be that there is not enough being done to help families like us. I intend to make it clear if we get on the show that parents need more help with these things, whether they show it is another matter.

Thank you for raising the point, I appreciate your outlook on the situation.

T,M I really don't know any more yet, just that they are sending an application form. The lady on the phone asked all about his problems and his conditions, she asked if they can see his medical records and I told her we have a large folder full of all the reports we have had and she wants us to send copies of them too. I will make it very clear that they are not going to push him into any situation that he finds distressing and I want to know if Dr Tanya Byron has dealt with ASD kids before.

Hope it works out for you. Its ridiculous that you cant get the help locally. At our local hospital theyve had no psychologist for a few years. It seems madness that this government claim that waiting lists are reduced when the reality is that everyone never looks at the mental health waiting lists .

I know waiting lists are way too long and there are a lot of vacant posts and no help when and where you need it. I realise from reading your post you have thought it out clearly and you have a very good attitude towards what you want to get from it. I'm sure it will help a lot of other parents but I doubt very much whether the powers that be would get any message from it at all. I doubt even a sledge hammer could drive any sense into them. (sorry my sceptic again :devil: ) If this program can help then you have to go for it. Dr Tanya seems professional enough to handle it sensitively. It might also be helpful to raise awareness amongst other parents to what extra difficulties parents with SEN children have to go through..

Good Luck with it in any case. I hope you get on and finally get the help you need.