opal

do any of you carers

I have a non diag AS son and just wondered how many of you suffer from Anxiety and panic attacks. I think my has got gradually worse over the years with the stress AS brings on a family also other things have triggered it.

opal, without going in to too much detail the answer to your question is; Yes I do. I have a 12 yo with AS, a 9 yo with ASD and dyslexia, and a 13 year old NT daughter who I have strong reason to believe is self harming herself both physically and emotionally. I have suffered from depression on and off for the past few years and am always working hard to keep myself funcitonal but I'm recently feeling more and more like I'm losing that battle. Life can be hard; but then when I see other people in worse situations than me that makes me feel guilty and self indulgent, which then makes me feel worse. It's a vicious circle, I don't know how to pull myself out of it, I really don't.

Sorry if that sounds depressing :(

Lauren

Hiya,

Yep, just about the same as Lauren. I have my son, (7, AS), and my mum (schizophrenic) whom i care for. Plus my own battles with health. It can be very difficult to 'keep my head above water' and has been much harder recently :( . I don't suffer from panic attacks, but i do have days when i find it hard not to spend all day in tears :tearful: .

>:D<<'>

Again without going into too much detail me to. My panic attacks tend to come and go in cycles (sound familiar) and tend to happen when I am out alone. It's not that I am afraid of being out alone because I often crave solitude, so it is strange that I do have these attacks when I am alone. I have decided it could be because if I do get the chance to go AWOL I am worried the whole time I am out that one or the other of the boys are kicking off. Although Terry is well able to take care of Matthew but David is another matter.

I also think it's because we 'ALL'live with so much stress 24/7 that it has to come out somewhere.

Carole

Mine is a left over of PND, but has never been given the chance to completely go away.

Like with most people there is more than one 'issue' bubbling away which takes its toll.

Yes, I also have panic attacks. Mine also usually come on when I'm out. Find it very difficult to go into a shop without having a panic attack, but like Carole I'm not consciously panicing about anything.

Fingers crossed things have been alot better recently, but as others have said they do tend to come and go.

I have a son (6 HFA) and I do suffer from anxiety, I'm a worrier and I have bouts of depression but I'm too darn stubborn to get any help or meds. Oneday maybe!! :huh: I've also had 1 panic attack (a few months ago) which scared the life out of me, hopefully it was a one off. :pray:

Edited by Tylers-mum

I've been getting depression and anxiety since having my first son who is now 7 yrs old . This comes and goes but recently over the past 3 months I've had quite a few panic attacks when I've been out with my 1 yr old. I panic about crosssing roads, supermarkets and was really bad on the train one day thought it was gonna crash. This has improved lately as I've started to make some me time (almost impossible in my house)and practice some self help techniques like deep breathing, and being more aware of my negative thoughts before they spiral out of control. Anyways glad to say it has improved as dont wanna go down the route of meds again....yes they do help but always feel kinda numb to everything on them.

i found after son's diagnois i felt okay and just got on with it , moving from one school to another and all the stress i thought i was okay untill every thing settled ie special school and having baby then in october i started having panic attacks and anxiety , i thought i was cracking up never had anything like this before and went to doctors , he said all the stress from the prevoius year had caught up on me , i then went on anti depressent and beta blocks and i do feel a lot better don,t really like the idea of being on these but at the moment it's whats needed and when i feel stronger will come off them at the end of the day if i'm not 100% it affects all the house not just me lainey

I suffer panic attacks and anxiety ever since I separated and started a new life alone with my son in another part of the country. It's like a physical reaction when things get too hard to cope. Panic attacks come and go but most of the time I'm fine. Lately I've been having them again due to a lot of pressure at work. My son's problems at school or worrying about his future cause me also lots of anxiety and sleepless night. I take St John's Wort and I find that it helps me a bit.

Curra

I have a non diag AS son and just wondered how many of you suffer from Anxiety and panic attacks. I think my has got gradually worse over the years with the stress AS brings on a family also other things have triggered it.

Hi im hays,

Im new 2 the group i suffer bad panic attacks since my 2 sons were dx 18months ago i have meds 4mine .

Guest hallyscomet

Hi,

Like all of the above, most of my anxiety comes from worrying about my ASD 18 year old son and my NT 16 year old Daughter who had Epilepsy, always in fear the Epilepsy will come back, she was on medication for three years. Those memories everytime I see an ambulance of how helpless my boy and I were when she had the first seizure, left her with no feeling down her entire left side. She got feeling back after a few days, but I still feel that pang of anxiety looking at her sleeping, hoping and praying she will be fine.

I find for me, as I am a very spiritual person; the best way for me move through my anxiety when it is getting too much (when I am worrying obsessively) I go to my favourite church when no one is there, and just sit and pass it all up to God, sit quietly, just knowing he is there with me, I feel this warmth all around me, then doing a decade of the Rosary is enough to say, thankyou for listening. I feel I don't have to say a word but just the our father. He knows the rest. I might sit there for half an hour like prayer and meditation, giving in to God and letting go of every thought.

It works, I feel those knots melt away when I walk out of there.

The other thing is, in our home we have a prayer area, a crucifix on the wall, and an image of Mary & Baby Jesus, I light a candle and sit and do the same here, even at 3am in the morning if I am having an anxiety spell, you know what it is like.........you are trying to sleep,and a million little and big fears are thrashing through your mind, and like you have to solve them all now.........lighting the candle and looking at the crucifix destresses me, along with a warm milk with vanilla, a naturopath advised me of this with no sugar, as the sugar will keep you awake. Often feel I dont need the milk after prayer, as I always drift off into the most lovely sleep.

I recommend this to any one; the important part is to clear out your mind, and know that, God knows your thoughts, your mind and all that you want to say to him, so just LET GO.....LET GOD......If you don't believe in God......replace him with a Higher Power or Universal Energy. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hailey

Edited by hallyscomet

think thats good halleys comet i recently have started going to church again, i used to go as a child but have started up again due to all the problems i have encountered in my life and with my son.

it is good to let go and trust god will guide you and help you,i have felt the need to get involved more with the church for me and my sons sake-am getting christened and confirmed in march.

also have problems with anxiety and depression-take medication for.

I have bouts really.

Sometimes I can go for weeks feeling like I can cope with anything life throws at me and then I'll have the "I can't do this any more" moments which may also last for weeks.

Like Smiley I also have my own health issues to deal with as well as my son's AS, the usual teenage problems with two other kids, a pre-adolescent girl and a Terrible Two Toddler.

I don't think it's easy for any of us really, otherwise why would we come to each other for support, friendship and laughs!

Here's some of these

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

The most important Smiley on the forum methinks!

Hi - I'm another who's had problems - I had a bout of depression after my son was diagnosed, and now I feel much less robust than I used to. The depressed feelings can come back quite quickly when we're going through a tough patch.

Thanks for all the replies. Now I feel better that I am not alone in my own problems of coping.

I know what you mean about coping for so long then a panic attack will suddenly come on.

We have to try to cope in our own way and not feel guilty when things get too much.

yup I get them too I have found my triggers and thats coffee and tiredness and then its really bad.. a shame as I miss the coffee but its not worth it as then the day after drinking it or even accidently having just a spot of the stuff left on a teaspoon and getting it that way and I am useless- think I am dying and then trying to cope with the everyday living stuff its really bad..

anyway I am tired now so I am off to bed thatis if i can sleep. :curlers:

I get panic attacks, mainly through feeling tired when I need to be awake. It happens the most if I have to get up and go out first thing in the morning, and when I have big nights out where I will be up late. Weirdly I have never had an accident or anything bad happen to me that has triggered these reactions so it's all very strange. Oddly enough I can cope with most things to do with my ASD daughter most of the time. I am on Prozac for depression, have been for years and that helps a lot, but it's very hard to cope with the anxiety.