Guest Frangipani

The feel good thread

Guest hallyscomet

Hi,

Found this story "How did you feel when your child was first diagnosed with Autism" its a positive story, hoping that we could use this thread to post positive things like this one, and other support group feel good stuff, that you experienced and would like to share.

http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/article4.php

Thought I would start a thread

Hailey

Edited by hallyscomet

Guest hallyscomet

Hi,

I think why I posted this story, http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/article4.php

is I like to read the "positive stories" of ASD children those that have had some success and have found something that is working for them.

I was wondering if this thread could be used like a place for these types of 'feel good' stories, giving us hope and a sense of community spirit, and even about some of the Support Groups you have attended, anything positive you have taken from those.

I remember one support group I attended - they started the meeting by playing the song "The Greatest Love of All" by Whitney Houston, there wasn't a dry eye in the room.

Recently it was my birthday; and my kids know I love George Benson well thats one CD they gave me for my birthday and it has George Benson -Original Version of "Greatest love of All" he is the best. You have to sit and listen to this song, and reflect on our ASD child/ren and NT children.

There was something wrong with the link so I have copied the Lyrics to "The Greatest Love of All"

The greatest love of all - George Benson

I believe the children are our are future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Everybody searching for a hero

People need someone to look up to

I never found anyone who fulfil my needs

A lonely place to be

So I learned to depend on me

Bridge:

I decided long ago never to walk in anyone's shadows

If I fail if I succeed at least I'll live as I believe

No matter what they take from me

They can't take away my dignity

Chorus:

Because the greatest love of all is happening to me

I found the greatest love of all inside of me

The greatest love of all is easy to achieve

Learning to love yourself it is the greatest love of all

I believe the children are our future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Bridge

Chorus

And if by chance that special place

That you've been dreaming of

Leads you to a lonely place

Find your strength in love

Can we share some feel good stories like these >:D<<'> and any stories like the above, thanks for sharing. >:D<<'>

Love Hailey

Edited by hallyscomet

That whitney Houston song hero ,something like that the line then you look inside youreself and the hero lies in you.Something like that makes me cry.

When my son was 5 and attending mainstream school it was horrid.When i siad to the head that i was removeing him and hed attend a special school she said to me why bother,itll make no difference,he cant read,write hell never amount to anything.

Well he can read,write,hes the star of the woodwork room,he can do maths and last year he did a sat test for science and gained a 3.Im so so proud of him.

I used to attend a special group for pre school kids with special needs.Theire motto was small steps.Our kids take small steps but the direction is the same and they get there in the end.I try to remember that when it all seams hopeless.

Guest hallyscomet

Paula, >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

"Hero" is a beautiful song

That teacher needs reporting - its never too late.

Look at your boy now - he's lucky to have a wonderful mum, lovely story Paula, you must be soooo proud of him

H.

Guest hallyscomet

WELCOME TO HOLLAND by Emily Perl Kingsley.

c1987 by Emily Perl Kingsley. All rights reserved

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to

help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how

it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You

buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo

David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very

exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you

go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says,

"Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed

to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must

stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full

of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language.

And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after

you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin

to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about

what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's

where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream

is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be

free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

=================================================

Just have to add Jonathan's response here as it was beautiful :)

JONATHAN: *puts on clogs and dances among the tulips* :)
Edited by hallyscomet

hallyscomet

That sums it up it realy does.

I spent years crying over what id lost and not seeing what i had.Every now and againe i slip back to that place but its a sad one so ill stay in "Holland" cause its on the select few who get to come to this place.

Great idea for a thread.

This site is great for getting info and sharing things, but all too often it is parent/carers needing info and support to get throgh rough times or to fight for the rights of our children. I am not knocking that, it is a great service that people on this site porvide to give each other the support.

But I am v keen on any positive stories, as you said to give hope, comfort and support. Help us thro some of the rough days by having a reminder of the good things that can happen.

I have just started a Hanen, More than Words course, so I'll hopefully be able to give some positive stuff from that once we get going.

Hailey,

Thank you for this especially welcome to Holland. Was already a bit teary but this gave me that nudge over and had a wee cry...THEN a lovely smile at the end........Wonderful :D:D:D

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> hallyscomet >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

*puts on clogs and dances among the tulips*

:D:dance::D

:o ...............Johnathan.............handsome fella is that you in your Avatar :dance: .My son is several years behind his peers as he is dyslexic as well.But he is clever in other ways , he races quad bikes.......and won his first race last week.He was in a class of 100cc, 150cc and over, and 250cc.His bike is a 125cc, all the bikes race in one big race, he won his group but only 3 others out of the whole group did more laps than him, so we were very proud.The race is an indurance race over one and a half hours, up the side of a moutain, with mud, streams, trees, rocks etc to contend with.He now has a lovely big cup displayed in his room :D .

:bounce: Yep, it's me though my face looks fatter in the avatar than in the pic it's meant to be of :balloon:

Matthew was born by C-Section while I was listening to M People's 'Search for the Hero Inside Yourself' Seeing as Matthew was to be diagnosed with HFA I think it was probably the perfect tune to be born to.

Carole

Edited by carole

hailey,thanks for the link to the george benson song,i havent heard that version in years,its a lovely song,i find it uplifting and sad at same time.

something nice happened to me today,steve walked in gave me a big cuddle and said ive missed you mouthy!!he meant it in a nice way,he does make me laugh :lol: and :crying: !!

Guest hallyscomet

Hi All above >:D<<'>: >:D<<'> thank you, for sharing, thats the spirit :wub:

I just read Daisy's story in my post about those videos I found. I have asked her to copy her post here, it certainly belongs here. Please Daisy, both posts especially the second, I love it :dance:

H.

Edited by hallyscomet

>:D<<'> Thanks for sharing the story and the song. >:D<<'>

My son is a very special person as he came when I was 44 when I thought I would never have a child. He was also born with C-section. His whole life has been so far a wonderful story! He is a miracle in my life :wub:

Curra

Guest hallyscomet

Quote: Curra. His whole life has been so far a wonderful story! He is a miracle in my life

Thanks Curra My sister had a child later too, a lovely time to have a child as all the worries of starting out are usually already organised and in place so you can really enjoy your child. >:D<<'> Do you have a song that comes to mind when you think of your child, let me know and we could put it on our list. :) Love Hailey xx

Keep them coming please......

HALLYSCOMET: Found this story "How did you feel when your child was first diagnosed with Autism" its a positive story, hoping that we could use this thread to post positive things like this one, and other support group feel good stuff, that you experienced and would like to share.

http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/article4.php

Thought I would start a thread:

HC:I was wondering if this thread could be used like a place for these types of 'feel good' stories, giving us hope and a sense of community spirit, and even about some of the Support Groups you have attended, anything positive you have taken from those.

I remember one support group I attended - they started the meeting by playing the song "The Greatest Love of All" by Whitney Houston, there wasn't a dry eye in the room - George Bensons original is beautiful copy above for you to hear :D

Hailey

Love this place to be our place of experiences, personal stories what I love about ASD, ASD and proud of it stories, poems, art, favourite pictures, music, especially scrapbook stuff from support groups, feel good stuff. :gather::wub: Keep them coming!!!

What do you think, perhaps we could give the thread a better name???

Thank you

H.

Edited by hallyscomet

My posts from the video thread, because Hailey asked so nicely.

Post 1:

If I wasn't autistic I wouldn't be me. If you took my autism away you wouldn't get a not-autistic person, you'd get a non-person. It is in every aspect of my life, the good things and the bad things, and all of my friendships, a lot of which are with people 'different' from who you would think a 20 year old woman would be friends with and I think my life is all the better for having friends who are in their 30s and 40s and 50s and 60s.

People call me clever and talented and caring and affectionate and, yes, autistic and obsessive and sometimes quite anti-social and all of those things are part of who I am.

I am doing a degree at a really good university and I passed my driving test first time and I got four A stars in my GCSEs and my grade 8 in music when I was 15. I don't know if I would have done any of those things if I wasn't autistic, they're better than what either of my not-autistic younger sisters have done so far even though they're more independant and more confident in new places and have much more 'normal' friends and boyfriends and things like that. Are they 'better' than me just because they're not autistic and I am? Thats what frightens me about all this 'treatment' stuff, which I think is not currently a real possibility anyway, I don't think you can honestly make someone un-autistic.

and Post 2:

Thanks Jonathan, Jill, asereht, I was only saying what I think and how I understand myself.

Jill your signature really made me laugh... friction burns!

I go on holiday every year with two much more disabled friends and their mums, one of them 'Emma' (not her real name either cos I don't have her permission to talk about her) has really really severe autism and learning disabilities and she is always reminding me that even though we are as different as two autistic girls can be we are also the same because what we both need most of all is just for people to accept that we are perfectly good human beings in our own right and do not need to change to suit how someone else thinks we should be.

Hi Halley' >:D<<'>

Thanks for sharing the song and the "travel to Holland" I remember the last one very well as I read it somewhere but was unable to find it again I now copied and paste it (with the author name ) not to lose it again as I want to give it to one of my friend who is a secondary teacher even if not teaching at the moment (three little ones to look after).

And now my positive story :rolleyes: my friend told me that her parents and her have known a family who 's son has autism for many many years. >:D<<'> HE is now in his 30ies and use to love trains and time tables (she is going to meet them this week as her Mum his coming from France) and she told me that now he is working in a big train station she did not have too many details but said she would ask them plenty questions as she always keep H in mind >:D<<'> and my worries about the future.

I think that is brilliant it show that it is possible to direct people with autism to do a job related to what they like most. :thumbs:

Malika.

Guest hallyscomet

Famous people with Autism or are rumoured to have Autism are......

Bill Gates, 1955-, US Microsoft Giant

Jane Austen, 1775-1817, English novelist, author of Pride and Prejudice

Thomas Edison, 1847-1931, US inventor

Albert Einstein, 1879-1955, German/American theoretical physicist

Henry Ford, 1863-1947, US car maker

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, 1756-1791, Austrian music composer

Isaac Newton, 1642-1727, English mathematician and physicist

John Denver, 1943-1997, US singer/musician

Jim Henson, 1936-1990, creator of the Muppets

Andy Warhol, 1928-1987, US artist

Bob Dylan, 1941-, US singer-songwriter

Keanu Reeves, 1964-, Lebanese/Canadian/US actor

additions

Steven Spielberg, 1946-, US Filmography (biography on this thread)

If you know of somebody that should be on this list then send me a PM and I will add them to this list.

Edited by hallyscomet

I think this is a positive story (but I am quite soppy)

My son goes part time to a nursery where he is the only child with autism, all the others are NT.

Last night I opened his bag and there was a drawing in there from one of the other children.

She had drawn a picture of a little girl and a little boy sharing a cuddle.

She had written "at xxx (name of nursery) to N love from O".

She had noted the drawing with her name and my son's name - it was obviously a picture of them sharing a cuddle.

It was just so sweet. I know these children are pre-school (4 year olds) but to know that this little girl liked my son enough to not only share cuddles with him, but to also send him a picture of it. I just got a lump in my throat.

The picture now has pride of place in my kitchen!

On the subject of inspirational songs, I always find Proud by Heather Small uplifting. The refrain: "What have you done today to make you feel proud" reminds me to appreciate the small steps forward.

Yesterday L opened a packet of soup, heated it up and ate it for lunch when I was out. It's the first time she has done this, and she has now doubled her repertoire of meals she can make herself. :) (The other is toast and marmite). She was really proud of herself. If I told other people about this achievement they'd think I was strange - what's so great about heating a bowl of soup? - but I know you guys will understand.

K

Guest hallyscomet

Thanks Malika, Jill & Kathryn

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> stories like these warm the heart

Jill, sound like that pictures worth framing in Gold

Malika Jill & Kathryn -proud Mums "Proud" what a beautiful song, we need a list of these songs, as we often forget these songs that really touch the heart. We could put all these songs on a page coming in....

H.

Guest hallyscomet
HC:I was wondering if this thread could be used like a place for these types of 'feel good' stories, giving us hope and a sense of community spirit, and even about some of the Support Groups you have attended, anything positive you have taken from those.

Love this place to be our place of experiences, personal stories what I love about ASD, ASD and proud of it stories, poems, art, favourite pictures, music, especially scrapbook stuff from support groups, feel good stuff. Keep them coming!!!

Hailey

more more more >:D<<'>

Guest hallyscomet

Our Feel Good Song List

1. "The Greatest Love of All" - George Benson / or Whitney Houston requested by Hailey

2. "Hero" - Mariah Carey req.by Paula

3. "Proud" - Heather Small req. by Kathryn

4. "You are my destiny" - Lionel Ritchie req.by Kirstie

5. "Search for the Hero Inside yourself" - M People req. by Carole

6. "Anything of Laura Brannigan's" - req. by Rays son

7. "Dont stop thinking about tomorrow" - Fleetwood Mac - requested by DaisyProudfoot

8. "You are the sunshine of my life" - Stevie Wonder - requested by Curra

9. "As" - Stevie Wonder - req. by Gromit

10. "High" - The lighthouse family - req. by Hev

I will keep adding your favourites as you post them in. In no particular order of preference :)

HC x

Edited by hallyscomet

Guest hallyscomet

Hi Researchbuffin,

Thanks for this link, looks really good. I just tried the order link and it doesn't seem to be working, can you check.

Thanks again

I am sure from everyone who read this. :D

H.

Let this thread :gather: to be our place of experiences, personal stories what I love about ASD, ASD and proud of it stories, poems, art, favourite pictures, music, especially scrapbook stuff from support groups, feel good stuff. Keep them coming!!!

:groupwave::wub:

:tearful: This thread is making me all tearful!!

I have a song that i love. It's called you are my Destiny, by Lionel Ritchie. The words are so relevant to me.

Many of you will know that i had such challenging times with Lewis while he was attending mainstream nursery. The teacher said he was a danger to himself and others, he was unteachable and possibly he would need to leave!! :tearful::sick: Now my boy is in a language unit and he is doing amazingly well. He is thriving there and his strength is Maths. He has loads of friends, when i go to his school (the unit is attached to a mainstream primary school) i hear shouts of "Hi Lewis!" everywhere we go! It's great, it really warms my heart. :wub:

Just recently we attended research project on prosody in aspergers. This is headed by Lewis's consultant. I had his results back in the post about how well he did with expressive language etc etc. well he has well above average scores for non-verbal tests ie matrices. :D I thought this was great, untill i read the report on the findings on the website and it said (amongst other things of coarse) out of (approx) 48 asd children tested there was one child who scored over 115 on the matrice testing :o I looked out lewis's report and he scored 125!!! Isn't that excellent. I am so proud of him. He has come such a long way and i love him to bits. Now we get invited to Birthday parties and he has friends, neither they nor their parents judge him and it is great to know he is finally accepted and Mothers in the playground aren't dragging their kids away from him anymore. :D

Guest hallyscomet

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Thanks Kirstie >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

KIRSTIE: I am so proud of him. He has come such a long way and i love him to bits. Now we get invited to Birthday parties and he has friends, neither they nor their parents judge him and it is great to know he is finally accepted and Mothers in the playground aren't dragging their kids away from him anymore.

Beautiful :wub: Kirstie, B. went through that too, not being invited to Birthday parties I imagine there are parents reading this - going through this stage too, this is reassuring; that it does get better down the track, it did for B too. Thanks Kirstie for sharing.

Edited by hallyscomet

Guest hallyscomet
MELLY: Great idea for a thread.

This site is great for getting info and sharing things, but all too often it is parent/carers needing info and support to get throgh rough times or to fight for the rights of our children. I am not knocking that, it is a great service that people on this site porvide to give each other the support.

But I am v keen on any positive stories, as you said to give hope, comfort and support. Help us thro some of the rough days by having a reminder of the good things that can happen.

:gather::groupwave:>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> love to see ALL your contributions. awww don't be shy :wub:

Edited by hallyscomet

Had college review yesterday. Glowing reports from all son's lecturers, they say he's really popular, and sociable, and he's getting on really well at his work experience at woolworths this week. And they say that in September he'll be ready for his first proper qualifications and he''ll be doing a BTEC course in IT and Hospitality & Tourism. Chuffed to bits.

Rock on Alex!

Now if we can just get him over b****y laura brannigan, and find him some friends outside college....

Jane Austin autistic? One of literature's finest observers of social nuances? NO WAY!

I don't want to spoil the feel-good factor of this thread but there is a response to the Holland analogy called 'Holland Schmolland' which I found when my son's behaviour was at its very worst (so bad I've blocked most of it from my memory) which did actually raise a smile in me at my darkest hour

If you really love the Welcome to Holland one, don't look here:

http://groups.msn.com/TheAutismHomePage/schmolland.msnw

Guest hallyscomet
RAY: Had college review yesterday. Glowing reports from all son's lecturers, they say he's really popular, and sociable, and he's getting on really well at his work experience at woolworths this week. And they say that in September he'll be ready for his first proper qualifications and he''ll be doing a BTEC course in IT and Hospitality & Tourism. Chuffed to bits.

Rock on Alex!

Now if we can just get him over b****y laura brannigan, and find him some friends outside college....

:dance::dance: Ray but I love Laura Brannigan too :lol::lol::lol: Will have to add this to our songlist :lol::lol: Rock on Alex - you rock :dance::dance:

CALL ME JADED:I don't want to spoil the feel-good factor of this thread but there is a response to the Holland analogy called 'Holland Schmolland' which I found when my son's behaviour was at its very worst (so bad I've blocked most of it from my memory) which did actually raise a smile in me at my darkest hour

:lol::lol::lol: Holland Schmolland :lol::lol::lol: I am sure we can relate to those feeling :D

Thanks Jaded, love it :lol:

Edited by hallyscomet

Hi Callmejaded, I did enjoy the original Holland version, but this one tells it more like it is. And that's not a bad thing. It smacks more of acceptance, somehow, but is no less affecting. Thanks for that.

One other thing, it IS possible Jane austin had AS - my daughter (AS)is extremely astute and very very good at social commentary ie she understands very complex emotional issues and behaviours caused by them, but mostly when its on tv or film (as an observer) she is however, not often able to 'act' out this understanding in her own life. This is one of the things that has always baffled me about her. She knows what's acceptable and what's not and what causes offence or upset, (it can be extremely sophistocated stuff and beyond her years if she were nt, let alone AS, but still she is so perceptive) and she can spot who dunnit a mile off! She was only dx just before xmas at 13 yrs age it took so long to get to the bottom of it because in so many ways she is so intelligent and sensitive to nuances many nts aren't.

This is an aspect of AS I find fascinating, and devastating, but I don't know how common it is.

Sue

xx

Hi call me jaded, >:D<<'>

I love Holland because it tells me to accept life as it comes and makes the most of it. :rolleyes:

and I love Schmolland because it tells me that you can build a home or country even on rubbles :) and that it is all right to be different and can be quite fun too. :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for sharing it's great. :thumbs:

Malika.