madmooch

Bus Pass

Henry has one, it means he and I if I am with him can travel anywhere in the county for 35p, we can also use it on local trains.

T is 6 and I just applied for one and got accepted. Waiting for it to be delivered in the post now. :D :D

Thanks to the people on here of course, otherwise I would never have known he was entitled.

I get to go free also when he is with me travelling.

There is a new section (E) on the form that applies to people with social etc difficulties and that's the one that applies to our kids. It was never there (an option) before but has recently been added. :D

PS - You have to get your GP to sign and stamp it also. :)

Edited by Tylers-mum

I didn't know about this.

Where can we find out about it?

It would probably benefit us too.

Daisy - I went to my local bus station office and asked there, then got pointed in the 'Council - Here to help' direction which was luckily across the road. That is where I picked mine up, failing that, call and ask for one to be posted out to you.

Henry has one, it means he and I if I am with him can travel anywhere in the county for 35p, we can also use it on local trains.

Tensing, mine allows both T and I to travel FREE throughout Wales.

We live in London, and children over 5 can apply for a freedom pass for buses, trains and tubes if they receive higher rate dla, or if they have no speech, and it will be automatically awarded. Otherwise, you can still apply but you have to make a case as to why you should get it, and be backed up by medical evidence. You apply to your local authority transport division, and quite often can download a form from their website

Speak to your favourite SS lady :) and she should be able to help you. SS will need to stamp a form for you and decided how severe the disability is. We managed to get a pass for David no problem however have not treid yet for Matthew but I might just give it a go.

Carole

I was informed by a social worker that I may have been able to get a bus pass due to my condition that would help me get to the autistic centre for support.

I have trouble with public transport I find it appresive and too enclosed with no way to get out if I need to, I'm not so bad when accompanied but in rush hour or buses with lots of people on I find it too much to cope with especially on my own.

Does anybody else have similar concerns about public transport.

I do, and they're getting worse. I too am entitled to a bus pass, and my support worker is shortly going to arrange for it. It would help a lot when bringing back heavy shopping. If I'd known I could have had one years ago. At present I only use buses and trains for my journeys into Yorkshire (usually weekly and very expensive). As these last about 4 hours each way, there's no way I'd be able to cope with them alone. Accompanied I could. I've found that by taking one of my cats with me - all excellent travellers - I have something other than myself to focus on and to be responsible for. Whenever I feel a panic attack coming on, being able to have a cat on my knee, and stroke it and hear the purrring greatly reduces stress. It works every time. :)

Edited by Mihaela

That's a very good coping mechanism it's good you have found something that works for you. I have tried a number of different tactics but unfortunately they don't appear to work for me but I've never taken an animal with me. I can see the logic in needing to care for the cat would be a distraction but if another cat lover began talking to you about the cat a shared interest i would find that a challenge to especially if it deviated from the subject onto small talk which I find particularly difficult to deal with.

That problem can be easily solved too. I just say: "Pare rău, dar eu nu vorbesc limba engleză" or " Извините, но я не говорю по-английски". It always works. Useful when approached by undesirables in the street too. :)

PS - But don't forget to make sure you don't speak to the animal in English. :D

Edited by Mihaela

That problem can be easily solved too. I just say: "Pare rău, dar eu nu vorbesc limba engleză" or " Извините, но я не говорю по-английски". It always works. Useful when approached by undesirables in the street too. :)

PS - But don't forget to make sure you don't speak to the animal in English. :D

That's inspired I would never have thought of that its a good way if you don't speak the language conversation is out of the question. Learning a lot about coping mechanisms here