carrieq

Hot Red Ears

OMG I cant believe that anybody else's children have this my son gets this all the time, but only 1 ear!! I don;t know what its caused from... strange but glad somebody else get this.... he often buts a flannel on his ear to try and cool it down...

A hot red ear (one or both) is one of the signs to look out for when deciding if your child may be reacting to Gluten and casein.

Lauren

justamom. Sorry I don't really know much more. There is a check list of possible symptoms which may indicate sensitivty to gluten and casein. There are many here whose children are following this diet and will be able to tell you much more than I can. Luke has all the symptoms and I am supposed to contact the CP when I am ready to try him on the GF/CF illimination diet. At the moment I just can't face it because I will have to try it with William too (who has some but not all symptoms) but I must do it soon. Hopefully some knowledgable :notworthy: person will be along soon.

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

You've got it in one, Lauren - it's an indicator of food intolerance

For more info I would recommend the ANDI website which was set up by Lisa Lewis and Karyn Serroussi, authors of 'Special Diets for Special Kids' which was the very first book on diet intervention and autism I read.

http://www.autismndi.com/

Have a look at the FAQs if you don't know where to starts. Lisa and Karyn are members of a forum I'm also a member of.

I get red ears sometimes too, not so much now as I used to, but we made pancakes today (my friend told me it was pancake day and I didn't check so we had pancake day a week early!) and the thought of not being allowed pancakes any more... or pizza... well lets just say that me and a special diet probably wouldn't get on very well. :blink:

My nephew often gets one really red ear, and I have mentioned it to his mum but she doesn't think it is connected to what he eats.

he is 5 and I think totally hyper ( he exhausts me, and both my boys are hyper !) She did take him to the doc when he was around 3 because he was, and is, quite demanding. the gp just said he was naughty !!

I have been looking into low salicylate diets for my younger son, and I wonder if this problem could be the cause of my nephew's red ear and his hyperactivity ?

wac

Com's red ears are a strong indicator of stress levels reaching critical - staff in school know that it is the last sign before meltdown and they have to get him out of a situation quickly as soon as they see red ears

Zemanski

My son S gets red ears, usually they take it turns to burn so its one at a time. :rolleyes:

There doesnt seem to be any connection to food ( but I am on the case now and will check next time it happens)

We call them (the flamming ears ) his Gamecube ear, or his Simpsons monopoly ear! As they always go red in times of competition ( stress I suppose!)

Cant believe this is a feature of so many!

Wow!! Interesting. I had thought on diet but am not ready to tackle that one just yet!! I will look more closely now as to when it happens. It would be great if it was a meltdown early warning system but last night he was really calm.

Carrie

My son gets them when he's stressed, still got them when he was on GF/CF. One of the tell tale signs a doozy of a meltdown is on its way, sometimes I can intervene if I notice it happening and can figure out if there is a reason. My partner gets it bad aswell, his glow like a nigthlight lol

Edited by lil_me

Could be several causes but I would maybe use a diary

My aunty used to get them, her partner who was a pharmacist told her it was because she took ibrufen. Could be caused by eczema, psoriasis, ear infection, other infections or just being too hot, aswell as many other things. If you are concerned I'd get a gp appointment just incase. My friends hot ear then ear pain was a spider inside her ear :sick:

Edited by lil_me

my ds j gets really red and very hot ears but weve never put it down to anything before other than it just being him! i would like to try the diet but i think that everything that he eats wouldnt be allowed .

Yes, hi I posted the original thread about this topic that was mentioned on here. My son is still getting red ears (usually just one) and we all go around the house shouting "red alert, red alert whoop whoop etc" and making a big joke of it. I have looked at food intolerance - most likely gluten because all he eats is bread and toast, and some cereals. Fact of the matter is if I took those foods away from him, he would starve! Worth noting though. Something I will look into when his fear of new foods subsides (if ever).

Oh cr*p, whilst I was writing this, my toddler has covered my dining room carpet with a brand new bottle of clinique foundation (he had to pick the good stuff)! Great!

Stephanie -- off topic, but I can sympathize with the cream-on-carpet incident!Have you got it off yet? My smallest DD decided to draw toothpaste patterns all over the floor the other day. When I found her and exploded, she put her hands on her hips and said witheringly, 'Oh for good-er-ness sake Mummy, little ones can't remember everything you tell me not to do!'

If she's like this at just 4, heaven help me when she's a teenager!

I dont mean to be judgemental and I know I'll get hanged for saying it - but I cannot see why you all think the diet is so hard..is your childs health not worth the effort?????? How can you justify not giving it a go - it could be a major help with all your childs conditions...

There I have said it so I guess I will upset a lot of people who cant be bothered to have a go! I am a lazy old cow- and my son only ate bread and cakes too - but I have done it, and it has made a BIG difference. Of course it is very hard work...but my son is worth the effort - and I cannot bear to think of children suffering such symptoms unneccessarily.

Sorry to offend!!!!!

non taken OTE Im not lazy my son only eats gluten rich foods and a small amount of broccoli. i have tried him on gf substitutes, which resulted in him not eating for nearly a week, i thought this extremly frightening, he also complained they tasted "foreign" (dictionaries bah!) and refused to eat till i got him Proper food. I know the diet can be extremly useful as i have a nephew on a cf (or is it gf shell? never can remember which!) and it makes a HUGE difference with his behavior, so i am not dissing it whatsoever but please do remember it isnt for all.

Oh and tricky does get "jammy ears" just before meltdown!

we haven't adjusted Com's diet but that's for other reasons (although he was cf free till 3 years) and he is actually quite a low gluten eater preferring salad and cornmeal to stodge, he takes very little in the way of milk products. He has never had any bowel problems (that's the rest of the family, Dot - NT - is being investigated for coeliacs, she will almost certainly have to go gf and I suppose we'll try Com out when she does). Diet (like most interventions for autism) only works for some children, I would have no hestitation if I thought Com was one of them but I really don't think he is.

He only gets red ears when very stressed - a useful indicator.

I'm not offended, OTE, but we all have to make our choices based on what we understand about our children and their needs

Zemanski

The main problem I have with having a ds with an "invisible" special need is people who know nothing about him and our situation judging and passing comment without accepting they need to see the full picture before advice can be given and surely a board like this should be about support from people who know what we are going through.

As a family we have our reasons for not trying the diet. My dh is a Paediatrician and medically has yet to see conclusive evidence it will work. It is not down to laziness, it is down to knowing my child inside out and knowing what is best for him at what time.

Carrie

I dont mean to be judgemental and I know I'll get hanged for saying it - but I cannot see why you all think the diet is so hard..is your childs health not worth the effort?????? How can you justify not giving it a go - it could be a major help with all your childs conditions...

There I have said it so I guess I will upset a lot of people who cant be bothered to have a go! I am a lazy old cow- and my son only ate bread and cakes too - but I have done it, and it has made a BIG difference. Of course it is very hard work...but my son is worth the effort - and I cannot bear to think of children suffering such symptoms unneccessarily.

Sorry to offend!!!!!

My first thoughts on reading this were that it's not worth replying to, why would I let a few crass, careless, and deliberately provoking words of one person offend me? Well it's not your words that offended me, it was the admission that you knew what you were saying would 'upset a lot of people' and yet you still posted that comment. People come here for support; many of the members of this forum are dealing with some really difficult situations; many of us feel guilty by default. Why would you deliberately post something which, by your own admission, you KNEW would make people feel worse?

Lauren

I don't want to get into heated debates about whether a certain post was offensive or not. It seems to me that we all "come to" things when the time is right for us as individuals, and that is the best any of us can do.

We all have totally different factors affecting our lives at any one point. Sometimes, there are just too many "possibles" to implement at any one time? So long as one reads, listens, digests and ponders that, in my mind, is ok. Often people have not taken my "advice", but it is always, nevertheless, interesting to see how their lives pan out. Sometimes they come back and teach me a thing or two that I wasn't aware of at the time. Everything is simply too "big" with too many variables for any one thing to be THE right answer for everybody. And nobody has enough time or money or knowhow to do it all "right now" anyway?

I don't think anybody on this forum is remotely lazy or negligent or they wouldn't have taken their (precious) time to join in the first place. We need to be kind to and patient with ourselves and each other if we are going to survive with sanity intact!

Back to the main thread... I've just got back from Brussels where everything I ordered "sans fromage" ended up coming "avec fromage" (is my French really that bad?!) I used to love cheese pre-CF, but , like a good girl, I scrapped most (well, ok, 90% of it) off. Within 20 minutes I had red ears with tiny fluid-filled blisters. By day 2 I had a sore face (had to raid the bar for a cold tin of beer to roll on my face to take the pain away) and the beginnings of sore fingers. Definately casein causing my red ears then! Back to normal now on a strictly CF diet. Had a great time in Brussels though.

VS xx

I cannot bear to think of children suffering such symptoms unneccessarily.

Sorry to offend!!!!!

Um, is your ears going red such a terrible symptom? Oh dear, I had better not talk to boys I like any more cause my ears go red then too. And if I'm laughing a lot. Or running around when it's very cold, especially playing snowballs with my cousins.

Daisy

Having her pancakes and eating them too.

If I hadn't have changed my sons diet because it was too hard and difficult he would still be a tranced out child with constant bloating, bowel problems and hyper uncontrollable moods, sleep problems and regressing daily...oh and red ears!! And for someone who didnt cook (hence my I am a lazy cow comment) it was very hard and difficult!! Plus I have an 18month old and two tween-age step kids (10 and 12)

I didnt want to offend - just too point out that sometimes just saying- "I would like to have a go but it is too hard" could be an excuse for not bothering with something that could make a difference for your child....And I knew that would offend some people.

Daisy - obviously if red ears is your only concern - then you would not be on this website

XXXXXXX

Pardon me if I have understood something wrong, but we are talking about red ears, aren't we?

Not tummy upsets or meltdowns or being hyper.

I was trying to make the point that red ears is not exactly a life-destroying symptom.

Because it's not, is it?

Sorry again if I have now upset you!

Daisy

Pardon me if I have understood something wrong, but we are talking about red ears, aren't we?

Not tummy upsets or meltdowns or being hyper.

I was trying to make the point that red ears is not exactly a life-destroying symptom.

Because it's not, is it?

Sorry again if I have now upset you!

Daisy

Thats alright dear. I see that you did not understand my post, as I was talking about doing a gfcf diet...I forgive you...and you are right - red ears are no biggee, and can easily be diguised with a long hair do.

PeaceandLovexx

ears going red isn't a problem (in Com's case it actually has it's uses) it's just that, as OTE and others very rightly point out, it can be a symptom and therefore an indicator of a more serious problem with food intolerance which in turn causes lots of awful symptoms such as the bowel problems associated with ASCs.

If Com had other symptoms associated with intolerance it would be important to deal with the intolerance.

As always, every ASC child is different and the strategies we use to support them are different

having said that I do know of kids whose ears become painful and blistered with this which I would think is pretty awful in itself

Zemanski

I would love any advice on changing dd diet. It breaks our hearts when we look at her plate/packed lunch box etc.

Even when she was weaning on to solids dd would spit food out like a missile or vomit if we "coaxed" any food she did not like in her mouth :(:(

What puzzles us is she won't eat anything as bland as potatoe or as scrummy as a Twirl {but she will eat buttons and mini eggs- and they are all made by cadbury} but she will take 2 teaspoons of Eye Q oil everyday and doesn't bat an eyelid :o:o And I've tasted it its vile!!

I think most parents on this forum are bothered to help our children or else we wouldn't be taking parts in these discussions.

As I am one of the parents who are bothered to help change her diet I will take any advice on board as I am at my wits end :(:(

Tilly

As I am one of the parents who are bothered to help change her diet I will take any advice on board as I am at my wits end :(:(

Tilly

My son took time to adjust His favourite foods were biscuits, pizza, bread and chocolate and cakes (I expect he would still prefer to eat chocolate given the option) But over time I have found some foods he just loves on this diet, and of course a lot he wont tolerate. A lot of trial by error - but over time I have found that his cravings for gluten and casein food has subsided and he eats a lot more variation than before. The basic food groups are still available - meat, veg, potatoes and rice.

I hope this will be the same for you- I guess it is just a case of it being a very long hard slog - but I cannot recommend the results enough

PS - buckwheat pancakes are just as nice as normal ones

Perhaps I'm over reacting, and I'm fully prepared to hold my hand up to doing that sometimes, but I don't really like the way this thread is going. There is a THREAD running through this thread that seems to imply that some people can be BOTHERED to try the GF/CF diet, and the rest of us are just lazy and can't be bothered to give it a go.

Like I said, if I'm overreacting then I'm sorry, but that's what it seems like to me.

:(

Lauren

Even when she was weaning on to solids dd would spit food out like a missile or vomit if we "coaxed" any food she did not like in her mouth :(:(

What puzzles us is she won't eat anything as bland as potatoe or as scrummy as a Twirl {but she will eat buttons and mini eggs- and they are all made by cadbury. Tilly

My daughter has always had poor appetite and limited food intake. Pretty much the same as yours on the chocolate side - she will now eat maltesers as well as buttons and mini eggs (she's 12) - but would never dream of eating a mars bar or snickers etc, and mashed potato would always make her gag.

Most of her preferences with food are all down to textures and control of the food in the mouth - like you say about coaxing food - would just induce vomit. She got to a point where she had a sore throat that she became very 'aware' of (the feeling when you swallow) - until it got that she couldn't eat at all for 6mths (she lived off build up).

I think with any diet - be it for an AS child or not - you will have some that find it less (!!) difficult than others. When my daughter was little (and I'm talking of probably up to around 7 or 8yrs) she had no idea what the feeling of hunger felt like - if I gave her something that she didn't like she wouldn't eat it - she could quite easily go for a few days without eating (and drinking for that matter - she's never been a big drinker and regularly ended up in hospital because of dehydration) and obviously if you have a child with a very small appetite the less they eat the less they want to eat etc etc etc.

I also believe my daughter probably has some intolerances to certain foods (and I would guess wheat and dairy) and ideally would love to try this diet - but would have to feel comfortable first about her weight etc.

Edited by jb1964

Perhaps I'm over reacting, and I'm fully prepared to hold my hand up to doing that sometimes, but I don't really like the way this thread is going. There is a THREAD running through this thread that seems to imply that some people can be BOTHERED to try the GF/CF diet, and the rest of us are just lazy and can't be bothered to give it a go.

Like I said, if I'm overreacting then I'm sorry, but that's what it seems like to me.

:(

Lauren

You should not take it personally. If you know yourself how hard you are trying to help your child what anyone says should not bother you. I meant only to evoke some feelings in those who were teetering on trying the diet but felt it too hard. So again I apologise if you feel wronged. I really am very blown away with the changes in my son so I guess I am like a born again GFCF convert. My son is very little and I guess I have so much more control over him right now that I will have in the future.

Much Love xxx