Sign in to follow this  
Steve_colour-se7en

Growing success among children with autism

Hello everyone here is a little story complete with video for you to look over, what are your thoughts I have placed this on mine and thought it should be placed over here also. The Autism Society of America says it is one of the fastest growing disabilities nationally and that one in every 166 births, a child is diagnosed with autism, and it?s usually boys.

Currently about one and a half million Americans have been diagnosed with autism and about 500 in Kern County.

According to Kern Autism Network?s Bonny Hulsy, she says, ?It's just been going like wild fire in the last ten years.?

?And we don't why we're diagnosing it better because I feel that we're seeing more people affected with it,? she adds.

Overall, living with autism isn't easy for the person affected by it and their family.

But, Eustacia Cutler knows a bit about raising a child with autism.

Her daughter Temple Grandin as a child could not speak but she is now a gifted animal scientist who graduated from Harvard.

She gave words of inspiration to hundreds of parents and educators.

?I don't think autism is something we're going to cure, but what's much more important is that children be fulfilled,? Cutler said.

?She loves her life and she's good at her life,? she said. ?I'm so proud of her.?

C.J. Cullins hopes his son, 4-year-old Simon, will also prosper, as the family learns more on how to deal with autism.

?In the year, he's been in school, he's learned to talk a whole lot and now he doesn't just point at things, he'll actually ask and it's helped out,? Cullins said.

Though it has not been scientifically proven, studies are being done to see how much the environment or vaccinations may be impacting the rise in autism.

for the video story please use the link http://www.kget.com/mediacenter/?videoId=8965

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father

Interesting - although I do not like the way Americans tend to view autsim as an illness. I did like Temple Grandin's Mum - wise words from some one who knows and understands.

thanks for posting this

Carole

Edited by carole

Hello carole,

Personally I also do not like the way Americans tend to view autsim as an illness they often refer to is as a disease which angers me, another thing which can be annoying is when someone who finds out about my AS treats afterwards, then as a direct result, of their newly acquired knowledge it seems that t_h_e_y t_a_l_k r_e_a_l_l_y SSssssssssssllllloooooooooooowwwwww. I'm not stupid or hard of hearing, in fact totally the opposite to both, however one who always perks me up is Temple Grandin I feel she is an inspiration to us all.

Steve..

I think the boy means well but he is distinctly inclined to be inattentive......

Tutor of Winston Churchill to Lord Randolph Churchill,

Winston's father