Emma21

Case study of a dyslexic parent!

Hi all,

As you may be aware I am a student at the University of East London and I am currently in my final year!At the moment I am involved in carrying out my dissertation and I am also undertaking a module called dyslexia. As a part of this module we have been set an assignment where we have to carry out case study research on a child/adult who has a statement for dyslexia. I was just wondering if anybody would be willing to take part in my research? My research would involve me carrying out semi - structured interviews via the internet and then you can send the completed interview to my email address? The case study research would also involve me asking you questions like when were you given a statement for dyslexia? How were you taught to read? (e.g. analytical phonics, look and say or synthetic). A copy of your statement for dyslexia would also be required.

If anybody is interested in taking part in my research then my email address is emmawood2001@hotmail.com ( I have msn messenger).

Thank you for your valuable time.

My daughter has a diagnosis of severe dyslexia but not a statement of special educational needs because she doesn't fit the criteria because she achieves average

any good?

Z

Im a parent and dyslexic but have nothing in writing as diagnosed as a young child. I was in a sn shool for a bit but went to mainstreem for last few years

my son has a diagnosis of dyslexia but never forefilled the need for a statement. I think you will find very few children with dyslexia have a statement as the support can normally (in terms of LEA opinion) be provided by the school with a little more help

Jen

My youngest son has a dx of dyslexia and is waiting to find out if he has dyscalcula. He doesn't have a statement, but he meets the criteria and I'm just embarking on the bumpy ride of requesting one. Before I do that I want to have meeting with the school's HT and class teacher but they are being very evasive every time I request a time for meeting. I have just sent them a letter asking for a meeting and will give them two weeks. If they don't organise one I will make a parental request.

So don't know if pending stat assessment counts, but I'd be happy to help if I can

Lauren

Hiya,

Thanks for your message! I have informed my lecturer of my plans etc and I am waiting for him 2 get back 2 me. The case study would involve the questions being formulated for your son and he would then answer the questions etc. Do you think this would be ok? My lecturer has already said that responses by email are fine so would that be ok with you?

An example of some of the questions are..

How do you feel about having dyslexic?

Do you feel different?

Do your school do anything to help with your dyslexia?

How funny is that! My lecturer just responded to my email saying my plan sounds great!

Do you think your son would be happy to fill in the semi - structured interview questions?

I will probably have them ready for you the week after the 13th of March?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

My youngest son has a dx of dyslexia and is waiting to find out if he has dyscalcula. He doesn't have a statement, but he meets the criteria and I'm just embarking on the bumpy ride of requesting one. Before I do that I want to have meeting with the school's HT and class teacher but they are being very evasive every time I request a time for meeting. I have just sent them a letter asking for a meeting and will give them two weeks. If they don't organise one I will make a parental request.

So don't know if pending stat assessment counts, but I'd be happy to help if I can

Lauren

Soo much to doo and so little time!!!!!!

If anybody is dyslexic or has a child who has been diagnosed as having dyslexia then any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just found out that I have got 2 broaden my case studies of dyslexic people! STRESSED!

PLEASE HELP IF U CAN X :crying:

Hiya,

How funny is that! My lecturer just responded to my email saying my plan sounds great!

Do you think your son would be happy to fill in the semi - structured interview questions?

I will probably have them ready for you the week after the 13th of March?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Emma, He probably would, but he couldn't. His learning difficulties are so severe, and because he also has ASD related language difficulties he wouldn't understand the questions. I could answer them for him, but if you need a child who is able to answer the questions themselves he couldn't do that. Sorry.

Lauren

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I will email my lecturer to ask him whether that will be ok, then I will get back to u?

Thanks

Emma

Emma, He probably would, but he couldn't. His learning difficulties are so severe, and because he also has ASD related language difficulties he wouldn't understand the questions. I could answer them for him, but if you need a child who is able to answer the questions themselves he couldn't do that. Sorry.

Lauren

My son attends a school for severe dyslexics and dyspraxics. He is not dyslexic but most of the children there are and they nearly all have statements. I would suggest that you write to a few school to see if they have parents who are willing to help. Go to the BDA website as it lists such schools. My son took part in some research about dyspraxia and the school were fine about it.

I noticed someone was waiting for a dx of dyscalculi - my son has recently been dx as such - it was quite difficult getting a dx. I would be interested in hearing how and who they saw.

Good luck with your research