Canopus

Worst town

Didn't a national poll find Hull as the worst town?

I have not got around this country enough to have seen enough bad and good places,but from my limited experience,I vote for Salford,it's a crime ridden tip,and it's one of the reasons why those who live under the Manchester City Borough Council [which I think,is North Manchester] have such high council rates as Salford is a part of the borough,even though it's classed as a town of it's own.

i think you get good and bad things in every town so its hard to pinpoint one,some people might love the town others hate it,my fave town at mo is dartford in kent,i would go their all time if i could,its a train or bus ride away from me

The worst town I've lived in has to be Skelmersdale - 1 pub for over 20,000 people and the only shop for 5 miles was a concrete bunker with no windows, a reinforced steel door, only opened 12-4 and only allowed 2 people in at a time. :ph34r: Otherwise it was a half-hour bus ride out of town for the nearest shops.

However this was in the early 80's - hopefully it has improved since then!

The worst town I've lived in has to be Skelmersdale - 1 pub for over 20,000 people and the only shop for 5 miles was a concrete bunker with no windows, a reinforced steel door, only opened 12-4 and only allowed 2 people in at a time. :ph34r: Otherwise it was a half-hour bus ride out of town for the nearest shops.

Nemo, it sounds like that town out of the 'League of Gentleman'... Very very scary :o:lol:

Lauren

Didn't Luton or somewhere like that beat Hull last year, I remember reading it somewhere.

Our village is pretty poo for shops etc, one little shop, post office (which we've been told will probably close soon) WMC, and a chip shop thats rarely open. No park or anything like that.

Edited by lil_me

The worst town I've lived in has to be Skelmersdale - 1 pub for over 20,000 people and the only shop for 5 miles was a concrete bunker with no windows, a reinforced steel door, only opened 12-4 and only allowed 2 people in at a time. Otherwise it was a half-hour bus ride out of town for the nearest shops.

I vaguely remember visiting Skelmersdale in the early 80s. Most of the houses were grey concrete boxes with no windows. Did Skelmerdale result in the "little boxes on the hillside" song?

the town i live in actually has a place in a book called cr*p Towns: The 50 Worst Places To Live In The UK ,it is a dive but on the other hand there is alot of supprt in place as its such an under priveliged area,so its not all bad,schools are pretty good too.

Here is the full list of 50 cr*p towns. Highly subjective, of course, but very interesting.

I've only lived in 2 places in the UK and they're both on the list! :o:lol:

K

Well thanks for your apology in advance Canopus - sorry unable to do quotes. It's not often I get riled but this time I did.

There is a story about a traveller who was entering a town after a long journey, he saw an old man sitting by the side of the road just outside the town. "Old man what is this town like?" asked the weary traveller. "What was it like where you came from? replied the old man.

"Just fantastic" said the traveller "there was a great spirit, people cared about eachother, there was a community spirit and it was a place of joy"

"It will be much the same in this town" said the old man

Later another traveller approached the town. "tell me old man" he called "What is this town like?"

"How did you find the last place you were?" Replied the old man

"Terrible, the people were bitter,narrow minded gossips. Nobody had time for others, there was enmity and malice"

"It will be much the same here" nodded the old man as the traveller entered the town.

Kat

Having lived in quite a few places in England and a stint in Scotland I really think a place is only as good as the people you know there. I lived in a beautiful small town in Wiltshire for three years when I was first married and for the first two years I hated it because I didn't know anybody. I've also lived in some relatively run down places where I've been really happy because of close proximity to good friends and/or family.

Lauren

Canopus

I think the real issue here is the amount of pent up anger you appear to have inside you. I know and like several of the places you mention, I live i one, have lived in others.

I wonder if you know these places at all, or you are working off what other people tell you?

All of us here have suffered to a greater or lesser extent from people taking a little knowledge about Autism, adding prejudice and coming to the wrong conclusions. I find it sad and disappointing that you spend so much time criticising people and places that you have no more than a superficial knowledge of, you are treating these people and places in the same way as so much of society criticises Autistic people.

The whole point of the 'cr*p Towns' books was light hearted satire. Sadly your list has taken an altogether darker turn and I don't like it at all.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

I have visited all these towns so I have first hand experience of them. I'm sure there must be other bad towns in Britain that aren't on the list and this is because I have never seen them. Notice how none of the towns listed are in Scotland or South Yorkshire. This is because I am not familiar with these places.

Canopus, I have deleted your post above. Apart from being extremely offensive, many of your comments were overtly racist.

If this discussion is to continue at all, please keep it lighthearted.

Kathryn

Well, actually I rather like Keighley... and Liverpool... and Hull, where my uncle lives... and even Barrow-inFurness, where the hospital staff kindly stitched up my bro-in-law's head after I'd split it open, and never batted an eyelid!

L

who has very bad taste

ps

it was a sailing accident, OK?

at least, that's our story and we're sticking to it!

Unfortunalty the place where i live has been described on chav towns as the sh*t in the slippers of huddersfield

You can read about it on chav towns under the place name bradley

[

Oh the shame. :(:( you gotta laugh it isnt that bad honest.

Edited by Paula

Interesting list. Wonder what the criteria was to make it on the list? I have lived in one of the places listed and it was the best place I've ever lived, hundreds of times better than where I'm living now which isn't listed. :(

Why remove the list just because a couple of people got uptight that their home town was on it? The list wasn't meant to be offensive in any way. All it is are towns that I have visited that I don't like or think much of, and a reason why I don't like them. My findings are that certain towns are blighted by urban decay, ugly architecture, too many roundabouts, arrogant or obnoxious people, and extremist politics. I think overtly racist is an unjustified description. Politically incorrect - yes. Racist - no.

I also disagree with Mossgrove's statement that the 'cr*p Towns' books was light hearted satire. Some of the stuff written in them is quite hard hitting or completely blown out of proportion, probably by people who have a long standing grudge against the town. Some of my explanations have a "dark turn" to them, but then I do not recommend venturing into certain towns unless you really have to.

Canopus,

I didn't remove your post merely because you were being rude about particular towns, or because of other people's reactions. You are entitled to express your opinion and others are welcome to disagree. I removed it because of the derogatory generalisations and insulting comments you make about particular cultural and racial groups.

I am not going to continue this discussion in public. If you still can't see why I deleted your post, you are welcome to pm me and I will point out the comments which I consider to be overtly racist.

Kathryn

I just had a look at the link list and must admit it seems an odd collection. I've lived at least 6 months in 8 of the named towns, 4 of which I thought were wonderful :P But then, as it says in the intro, it is meant as a joke.

Not sure about a town being as good as the folk you know there; I knew some great people in Skem, but the place itself was too intimidating, while when we moved to Scotland we immediately fell out with our friends there, the locals treated us like incomers for the first 5 years (till Com was born), but it was still a great place to live :blink:

As to cultural/racial mix, the more the merrier, imho, as it tends to increase acceptance of difference and variance from limited social 'norms'. Something we all need more of. :pray:

V :devil:

I love Edinburgh :wub: The place is truly home and the skyline as you travel along princes street is just amazing with it's castle and old buildings. I wish you could all live here!! :wub::wub:

Hi, I live quite close to, but not in Stoke-on-trent and was suprised that it wasn't on the list as a few years ago it was supposed to be the worst place in britain to live from some comparisons.I think every place has the same capacity for good or bad, there are certain places that I wouldn't venture in to and I hate to see boarded up shops and houses.Hanley, which is the major shopping area in stoke on trent has masses of shops, there are cinema's,bowling, swimming etc close by but I don't like to go to Hanley as I don't feel safe, sounds stupid but there you go.

oh lord i should never have mentioned the cr*p towns book :whistle: the town i live in is actually in the 2nd version of the book :lol:

I don't agree with everything written in those cr*p Towns books and find it difficult to understand why some towns have been included when they really are decent places to live. I think the cr*p Towns books are more of a populist but shallow (and possibly crude) piece of entertainment rather than a serious critique of the included towns. They are definitely coffee table books as opposed to suitable reading material for redevelopers or town planners.

I think everywhere has good and bad parts, some of my DPs family live in a gorgeous little area in Hull, I'd love to live there.

I don't agree with everything written in those cr*p Towns books and find it difficult to understand why some towns have been included when they really are decent places to live. I think the cr*p Towns books are more of a populist but shallow (and possibly crude) piece of entertainment rather than a serious critique of the included towns. They are definitely coffee table books as opposed to suitable reading material for redevelopers or town planners.

I agree with you- I think the main purpose of the book is to wind people up. Although my town is listed, it is actually on the tourist trail - people do day trips from London and there are walking tours of the town. I have to remind myself of that, as the bit I live and move around in everyday is very ordinary. I don't often venture into the picturesque bits where all the pictures are taken.

Living in such a place isn't that wonderful - all it does is push the house prices up and there are way too many antique shops and twee little craft shops.

K

Birkenhead has a large park and a view of Liverpool over the Mersey. I was in Birkenhead a few years ago and the town looked very downtrodden and neglected with lots of dereliction and urban decay. The economy of Birkenhead was originally based on shipbuilding and flour milling. At one time only Minneapolis milled more flour than Birkenhead.

yeah i live in Didcot and we are no 20 doing well last year we were no 5 have to say i do think it is a pretty c**p place to live

Dare i say it but i live in the number one cr*p place yes its Hull.I was born here its not that bad really like anywhere else it has its good and bad points :rolleyes: