Sign in to follow this  
Tylers-mum

Anyone know of a plasterer??

My room was finished yesterday but it still needs plastering, and the ceiling needs artexing. This room is 9ft x 10ft and had a quote on doing that and from the floor to 3/4 up the walls of my kitchen walls which is slightly bigger than the other room.

I about fell over when he gave me the price.

Hold on tight now, you don't wanna fall.

?425. thud.gif How Much??????????

Needless to say, I'm STILL looking for a plasterer! :wallbash:

Edited by Tylers-mum

Hi TM

?425.

thats a bit steep isnt it??? Im really sorry i cant help you. i hope you find someone who doesnt charge the earth very very soon.

Take care

shaz

:huh: ?425 ?????????????? :angry:

Try asking local people if they've had work done, only downside is if you pay cheap you might end up with one of those cowboys like you see on the tele.

Wish I could even find a plasterer that will give me a quote. It seems that I'm doomed to live with a sitting room ceiling that looks like a patchwork since it fell in 2 years ago and got patched up at the time. No one even wants to quote on it becuase it's "not a big enough job to bother with" :angry:

Mind you the way my boys are going at the moment the job could grow to include all the dents in walls thanks to various items being thrown :whistle:

Can I recommend you visit the Federation of Master Builders website

http://www.fmb.org.uk/

There is a find the builder section and it is excellent for finding someone local. This is where we found the guy who built our extension and he was superb - their attitude was "no job too small or too big" - they'd do everything from fix a few tiles or patch up a ceiling to re-building an entire school.

My sister's now getting her extension built by him and since we used him loads of people in our street have used him. Well worth getting someone reputable, even if you do pay a little more. Our guy wasn't the most expensive or the most cheap.

Good luck

Perhaps I should have become a plasterer. I think career prospects in building trades are better than in electronic engineering.

Please don't say that my partner his doing his degree now.

But yes there is a lack of proper tradesmen now, computers seems much more fashionable.

Our kitchen is about 7' x 13', (plus the ceiling) with that and a little porch ceiling to plaster - about 5' square, we have been quoted from ?250 - ?385. So i would say your quote is possibly a little high but not necessarily exorbidant!!! We have the partner of someone we know, who I know is a good plasterer, coming round tomorrow to give us a price. To be honest , even if he is a little more expensive i think I would rather go with him because I've seen his work. Most selfemployed builders charge about ?200+ a day for labour plus materials etc - it's not cheap! Love Kat

OMG, i cant believe the price of the plasterer... A while ago i posted jokingly if anyone knew a good plasterer because K had "accidently" kicked a hole in his wall, while spinning up in his room. Either he is extremely strong or its shoddy brick work.. we still have not had it fixed and at those prices it looks like it might never get fixed...

Gosh i never knew it might cost that might...

justamom

Justamom,

If the hole isn't too big, you can get a plaster patch kit and repair the damage yourself. My dh did tihis after a chunk fell out of one of our walls - it was about the size of someone's head.

He did a reasonable job even though DIY is not his strong point!

K

I spoke to my sister today and she said that my BIL can do it. I didn't know he could plaster although he is a handyman (not through work but with their own home).

He is coming tomorrow to have a look and quote me a price. :D Failing that, I have another guy visiting tomorrow whom I got the telephone number of via a nice repair man that came today to fix an air block in my heating system.

I'll probably go with my BIL though b/c he is handy. :)

Will keep you posted.

:pray::pray::pray:

Edited by Tylers-mum