Viper

Why does he do this?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Let me try to explain. Ben has to have a reply to everything he says.

for example, he might say "I am just going to the toilet" If I don't reply he will keep saying it until I do.

He can't understand that not everything we say needs a reply.

The main problem is the rest of the family don't answer him all the time, they don't seem to notice that he won't stop until someone replies so I end up answering him for them. I also find that when people are here, like the kids friends he will talk to them and expect an answer every time but the things he says don't always need an answer.

I don't know if you get what I mean.

Another example. He will be playing a PS2 game and giving a running commentary, as he does, and whoever is getting the ear bashing has to answer him or he will just keep on and on until they do.

Hope you understand that ramble but don't feel you have to reply. :wacko:

Viper, I know exactly what you mean. William and Luke have always done this, and like you I am often answering not just directly but on behalf of others.

Lauren

Yep, exactly the same here.

My daughter is 12 and I've tried to explain exactly the same to her over and over again but she fails to understand - it is very very frustrating.

If you find the answer let me know.

Take care,

Jb

Me too, totally understand it. A says it and repeats it until he gets an answer and gets louder and louder until he gets the answer, eventually lashing out or screaming if he doesn't. Must admit I also tend to answer him just to prevent the behaviour.

Im also with you on this one.My son does exactly the same right down to the running commentary on the PS2.

I also find myself answering for others who dont realise he wont stop repeating stuff untill hes acknoledged.

When my son was younger hed repeat the same thing over and over until you repeated back to him what hed actually said.His poor Grandad once spent an whole day with him saying the same thing over and over againe id forgotten to tell him to always repeat back what hed said else hed never shut up.

The small boy in this house is the same.

He is making great progress with making sounds v close to words, hurray you might say, but now I have to repeat what it is that he has said each time. Get it wrong and ..... trouble!!!

The problem is I don't want to spend my life stuck in front of the computer or the tele, never mind i'm sure it will pass, in maybe 10 or 15 yrs :lol:

My son also gives a running cmmentary on everything he does. He also persists saying something till he gets an answer. As annoying as it is, I have come to accept that's just what he does and it's his personality.

yep thats my ds,today he wouldnt move just sat on the ground and kept repaeting saything about his float i brought hima few wks back.whatever i replied it was the wrong answer after 45 mins he decided to get up.my fatel mistake was not to take his buggy up to the sch with me.

Same problem here Viper. Ds says things over and over until someone replies whether a reply was really needed or not. I wondered if it stemmed from the fact I repeat myself over and over until I get some action from him when I ask him to do something so maybe he thinks that is the way things are done!

My son too (3yrs 4mnths)

Example..."Red car, red car, see red car. Red car, red car etc, etc,..." until I say "Yes see red car- well done!"

Ah bless! Is a conversation of sorts!!!

yes my son does this as well - i usually answer for him as well. it can be annoying at times but now accept that this is how my son is - im glad to hear that other children do it as well

my youngest son(7) does this and it's soooooo annoying. He will not shut up until he gets an answer, that's fine when it's me, but other kids at school and even his AS older brother don't realise and can end up getting on the receiving end of one very angry and aggressive boy. He is suspected of having AS as yet not diagnosed, could this be a trait worth mentioning to professionals? that's if I can muster up the energy to go through another onslaught of appointments etc, it took years to get the dx for older son, I often wonder if it was worth the aggro and stress!

I wonder if my "problem" fits in the same category...some days I think I'll scream if I hear him say "mommy" one more time! Sounds bad but he introduces EVERYTHING he says with "Mommy? ....[insert sentence here.]" and then seconds later "Mommy. ....[insert sentence here.]" and so on...

When my dh comes home after just a short time he'll say HE'S sick of hearing it LOL!

I've tried to explain to ds that it isn't necessary because I know he is talking to me, but he'll say yes but sis is around too or something like that until I concede his point.

I'm so grateful to be his mom and I waited so long to hear him say it, I feel horrible for complaining about this one!

I wonder if my "problem" fits in the same category...some days I think I'll scream if I hear him say "mommy" one more time! Sounds bad but he introduces EVERYTHING he says with "Mommy? ....[insert sentence here.]" and then seconds later "Mommy. ....[insert sentence here.]" and so on...

I get this too. He also asks whether he can ask me a question - Him: "Mu-u-u-u-m, can I ask you a question?"; Me: "Yes, of course ....."; "Mu-u-u-u-m, can I ask you a question?" Me: "Yes, please go ahead and ask me the question ...."; "Mu-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-m, can I ask you a question about football ....." and so on.

I think I could reply in my sleep now, but there's no doubt it does irritate his brothers and other children. Even though I explain it's not necessary, he doesn't generalise it - for instance, now he knows he can ask me a question about football now, today; but apparently tomorrow it doesn't have the same permission (or it isn't the same subject) so we go through the whole thing again!

:huh:

Temple Grandin, mentions this very same thing in the short film A is for Autism in which she say?s ?I would say to mother that the street lights were coming on, mother would reply yes they are, then it would be repeated over and over again because it was pleasurable to hear the answer, then other occasions if a subject was of interest it would be talked into the ground?.

I can relate to a lot of what Temple Grandin says because for most of the time I do not always find a common starting point for conversation, I often find it difficult to keep a conversation going. The repetitiveness could be actually calming for your children, on the other hand my son Taylor does this and when I ask him why he does it he says it?s because he needs to hear the answer.

Steve..

Edited by Steve_colour-se7en

Temple Grandin, mentions this very same thing in the short film A is for Autism in which she say?s ?I would say to mother that the street lights were coming on, mother would reply yes they are, then it would be repeated over and over again because it was pleasurable to hear the answer, then other occasions if a subject was of interest it would be talked into the ground?.

I can relate to a lot of what Temple Grandin says because for most of the time I do not always find a common starting point for conversation, I often find it difficult to keep a conversation going. The repetitiveness could be actually calming for your children, on the other hand my son Taylor does this and when I ask him why he does it he says it?s because he needs to hear the answer.

Steve..

Yep..Samuel our only boy does this until we are stark raving bonkers-inwardly we scream!...Hes 4 & 1/2,but my wife refuses to think that he has traits as I have-As my post the other day Im at the stage where i feel i need to sort my own identity out-Again my wife doesnt see the point as I ve got this far & whats it going to achieve.Also u cannot leave the room without knowing exactly where u are going in the house or what we are doing in that room-He screams & wailes if we walk down the stairs without him or in the wrong order to what he wanted.Is this just signs of a spoilt only child-i think not as its so intense it really hurts him inside obviously.Apparently I would act the same when i was a child my mum says if she walked ahead any distance & she still has to listen intently to every word i say & I need her to answer so I know shes listening comletely to me & I know Im communcating properly-Otherwise I get very angry & people say 'Theres no need to talk like that',but I cant help it.

Yes M also expects a reply every time he speaks.

Br grateful it is only the replyyou have to give, because I apparently don't 'talk in the right voice when i answer him' sometimes and then I have to repeat myself several times until it 'sounds right'!!! :wallbash:

mum22boys

Jomica - I get this too alot and at times i could scream - he says mum mum all day long but its very interesting what steve_colour_se7sen says that its calming!! Never really considered this as an option but it makes alot of sense for me!! Still very annonying though!!