Sign in to follow this  
Steve_colour-se7en

Pesticides blamed as autism rate soars!

The number of children diagnosed with autism has almost doubled in seven years. Liam Byrne, the health minister, said that 6,170 children under 16 had been diagnosed in England last year, compared with 3,100 in 1997-98. The number of cases including adults rose from 4,220 to 9,170 in the same period.

Some campaigners talk of an autism epidemic and blame factors such as pesticides or childhood vaccinations. However, the Government and bodies such as the Medical Research Council believe that the increase can be attributed to better diagnosis and changes in the way autistic spectrum disorders (ASPs) are defined.

For example, many children previously diagnosed as having attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are now being defined as autistic.

For the rest of this article please use the link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../25/ixhome.html what are your thoughts on this?

Steve..

The number of children diagnosed with autism has almost doubled in seven years. Liam Byrne, the health minister, said that 6,170 children under 16 had been diagnosed in England last year, compared with 3,100 in 1997-98. The number of cases including adults rose from 4,220 to 9,170 in the same period.

Some campaigners talk of an autism epidemic and blame factors such as pesticides or childhood vaccinations. However, the Government and bodies such as the Medical Research Council believe that the increase can be attributed to better diagnosis and changes in the way autistic spectrum disorders (ASPs) are defined.

For example, many children previously diagnosed as having attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are now being defined as autistic.

For the rest of this article please use the link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../25/ixhome.html what are your thoughts on this?

Steve..

Hi Steve, funnily enough, Linda and myself were discussing this subject the other day with other parents at our kid's School. We live in a small village deep in rural/agricultural Norfolk. We are surrounded by farms and fields and in our primary school there are just 73 pupils, out of which there are 3 diagnosed with ASD's and at least 15 who are 'in the process of'. We thought this was a high number for such a small group and the only thing we could come up with was pesticides in the air or in the water. Myself, I take anything given out by the Government or govt departments with a VERY large pinch of salt, but how can we be sure that they (or us) are right or wrong? It's a nightmare at best!

In the US the mercury in vaccines (thimerosol) theory is getting a lot of airtime, probably because the CEO of NBC has a grandchild with autism. Here's Don Imus (maverick presenter, married to Deidre) talking with Senator John Kerry:

KERRY: ?I do. And let me tell you an amazing story. During the early days of Katrina, UPS very, very kindly, and so did FedEx, put together a couple of planes to fly stuff down. So I flew down to Lafayette to take the UPS down there and deliver it to those folks. And the UPS driver, I rode in the truck with the UPS driver, just he and myself, all the way to Baton Rouge, and he was talking, just started to talk. He tells me that he's got twins, and one of the twins got sick. The doctor says, well, we've got to give him a vaccination. They give him the vaccination while the kid is sick, and within days, this kid starts changing and showing symptoms. Low and behold, these are identical twins, same DNA, same (INAUDIBLE), the whole deal, same egg. And that child who was vaccinated has autism today. And this family is struggling with it. And they believe, they believe as deeply as they can, it's the thymerasol that caused this reaction.

This is -- you find this all over the country. You and Deidre have been terrific on this issue. And yet, we still have mercury in vaccinations around the country. It's absurd. I don't get it. We ought to stop, and we ought to pass that bill. ?

IMUS: ?Well, the Combating Autism Act actually does provide some funds for research, because we really don't know. We know that thymerasol is a neurotoxin, and that it's ethyl mercury, and it's 50 times stronger than the mercury we'd find in fish for example and so on. There's all kinds of statistics. But there really hasn't been -- despite what people say. And believe me, I've talked to a lot of them. There's been no definitive determination whether in fact there is a link between autism and thymerasol .?

KERRY: ?That's absolutely true. That's absolutely true. Look, If I were a parent and I knew what I know just anecdotally from across the country, I wouldn't want it, and I wouldn't want to put it in my kid. And I think...?

IMUS: ?Well, the CDC said...?

KERRY: ? ... parents ought to have that choice and that right. In fact, they do. Many of them are saying they're not going to do it, but a lot of them don't know about it.?

IMUS: ?The CDC in fact says that now. But the Combating Autism Act really is primarily to build these centers around the country, to provide these parents with the ability for early detection, with therapy and some financial support and that sort of thing, and there will be some research. But to think of it as a thymerasol bill, it isn't that. I mean, maybe...?

KERRY: ?Well, it's to try start down the road, Don.?

IMUS: ? Exactly.?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9877519/

The Imuses were also on Larry King live and got asked about it too.

I think it's down to better diagnosis, and a better understanding of the breadth of the Autistic spectrum.

I just keep coming back to my dad who is nearly 77 and was diagnosed last year...

Bid :bat:

Having said that, I don't under-estimate the impact of environmental triggers like MMR...but I think they are triggers rather than causes.

Bring back old fashioned methods of farming and growing food. Adding chemical is not good for us.

Jen

I've borrowed this from elsewhere:

Since "autism" is a "causeless" psychiatric

disorder and not a medical diagnosis, it

cannot be "caused" by anything.

Thus, any "possible cause" cannot, by

definition, cause "autism"...

I've racked my brains for anyone in my family who could be remotely considered autistic. Nothing until this current generation, then my son, a niece who is ADHD, dyspraxic and dyslexic, and I now hear that two of my cousins children now have a possible dx.

There is definitely a log-jam on diagnosing, but I do not believe it is solely down to better diagnosis and greater awareness.

BTW UK figures are now 1 in 100 and I fully expect it to get to 1 in 50

With you on the chemicals, jen. My NT lot had 'junk' yesterday and were horrific.

I think pesticides will give the body poisons to deal with that we are not meant to deal with, although maybe we adapt like the pests adapt to them, and they have to keep finding stronger stuff to destroy them .

I absolutely believe that autism is genetically within my family.

I absolutely believe that environmental factors are impacting on genetic factors and in many cases they are the factor that tips the scales.

I can not believe that it is just down to better diagnosis We are living, eating and breathing a molotov cocktail of chemicals from before conception. This is impacting on genetics and impacting on our children is a massive way. It's not just autism because I believe that environmental factors will produce a different affect and impact on everyone and their genetics in a different way. By this I mean our environment is probably tipping the scales in many different directions and resulting in many different condition.

In short we are the victims of our own scientific and technological success.

Carole

I absolutely believe that autism is genetically within my family.

I absolutely believe that environmental factors are impacting on genetic factors and in many cases they are the factor that tips the scales.

I can not believe that it is just down to better diagnosis We are living, eating and breathing a molotov cocktail of chemicals from before conception. This is impacting on genetics and impacting on our children is a massive way. It's not just autism because I believe that environmental factors will produce a different affect and impact on everyone and their genetics in a different way. By this I mean our environment is probably tipping the scales in many different directions and resulting in many different condition.

In short we are the victims of our own scientific and technological success.

Carole

Hi Carole, you have put it far better than I ever could, I agree with you entirely. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I agree with Carole.

Plus, part of me wonders whether it's down to being more successful with "difficult" deliveries.

I had a problematic labour - very overdue, induced with pessary / waters broken / drip - then, after a protracted labour, emergency caesarian.

I wonder sometimes if these difficulties caused problems within his brain that ultimately resulted in the ASD. Not so many years ago I suspect that The Boy wouldn't have survived the things that happened.

I'm not saying ALL ASD is caused by this, but I do wonder if some is - babies that a few years ago would have been stillborn are living due to medical developments / better care, but having problems as a result.

It's probably a midge modge of chemicals (as per Carole's post), genetics and higher survival rates at birth I think. So, in a way, like Carole says we are "victims of our own scientific and technological successes."

Don't get me wrong - I'd much sooner have The Boy with an ASD than he'd died at birth! But I do wonder sometimes if that was the cause. I guess it's all moot really, he's here and has an ASD, he's still my lad.

Hello everyone,

My opinion is I believe personally, that ASD's are genetic in their causation and as such gentic autism will always have a part to play within the great debate. However enviromental autism, which I also feel to be present within some people also has it's part to play as a causation itself. We are exposed to various chemicals and toxins which must at some stage, have an adverse affect on the body so therefore be at least a contributing factor, along with the pesticides, these products must enter the water table and as such enter the body. Most people are quite able to excrete these by natural means but there will be a certain amount of us that may not, and the result may indeed be enviromentally caused autism this is my personal opinion, the whole debate is and always will be a complex one. Perhaps then the rise in numbers worldwide is a combination of these reasons and also because professionals now have a better understanding thus leading to a diagnosis. Whatever its causation, what needs to be addressed is awareness of the condition, enabeling a better understanding and acceptance of ASD's as a whole by the majority of people.

Steve..