Sign in to follow this  
tmf

I have DLA forms now what??

Hi,

I have just received my application forms for dla, blimey i was told they were long, certainly didn't expect 40 pages!! :wacko:

Anyway i have had some advice to get some help filling them in so they are properly worded to increase my chances of obtaining dla for ds. Does anybody know who the best person is that i can ask for help?

Thanks in advance

tmf

xx

Hi TMF,

Can't offer any advice - haven't got a clue. I've been tempted to ring for a pack myself but put off so much by the amount of pages and info they need - all seems too complicated.

I'm sure someone will come along soon and offer some great help for you.

Good luck,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

Hi,

I used the money advisory unit. they sent someone round who helped fill in the form. It took them no longer than an hour so well worth getting them round.

mum22boys

Hi Tmf,

The first thing to do is to put your head in a cupboard, SCREAM LOUDLY, them get on with the forms. :lol:

The best people to help you are those who've done it themselves. If you browse the two DLA threads at the top of this section you'll find loads of useful tips, and we can help answer any questions you have. I found the NAS information sheet particularly helpful, but check out the other links too.

The worst questions are the ones that ask you to quantify how much help your child needs - you have to be a bit inventive here! Just think of the worst possible day you are likely to have with your child, and describe it - that's the advice I was given. You may find you repeat yourself but it doesn't matter. I found it helpful to write my answers in rough before putting them on the form.

Take your time - the money will be backdated anyway. You can fill in part one, which is fairly straightforward and send that off first before tackling the more difficult second part. If you feel you need someone to go throught the forms with you, is there a local autism support group nearby you can ask? I think the CAB and other local carers groups can help too, but it's a good idea to find someone who has particular understanding of ASD as well as experience in DLA reqirements.

Don't be daunted - I did the whole thing myself with the help of this forum, and got it, so it is possible.

Jb, don't be put off by the form, it is a bit of a slog, but it can be done. :)

K x

There's a DLA guide on Cerebra's website here: http://www.cerebra.org.uk/ which gives step by step suggestions as you work through the form and is very helpful.

Generally you should work on a 'worst-case scenario' when filling out the form. Avoid references to 'good days' and strategies you have for coping, stick to the negatives. This is why so many people find it hard to filil in DLA forms - it often brings it home to them just how severely affected their child is and that can be tough to take.

It's worth bearing in mind that the clerical officers who assess the form don't have any medical training whatsoever - they're pen pushers who only have around ten minutes per form so they won't have time to wade through reams of details. It can help to bullet point each heading with key difficulties and the additional time and effort spent managing them, then give a more detailed account below with key words highlighted for better scannability.

I'm told that the DWP assessors use keywords themselves when reading the forms, awarding points as they go for frequency of use. However, I'm not sure how that works - eg "X rarely sleeps through the night" is saying exactly the same as "X wakes frequently in the night" but whether they score 'frequently' or 'rarely' higher is a matter of speculation. They're also trained to be very pedantic and if something is ambiguous they'll err on the positive side, so check and check again everything you say.

I actually didn't fill much onto the form itself but copied the headings into Word and handed in a typed document, referring to it on the front page of the form. They do advise that if you haven't got enough room in the sections you're given to write more at the back or on an additional piece of paper, but that can lead to confusion and your claim might not get as much attention (bearing in mind that you only have ten minutes) than if it's all in one place. You will, of course, have to use the form to state frequencies - again you should err on the negative side if possible.

You can also include with the completed form additional evidence from other people - I've had reports from J's out of school sports activities, doctors and Health Visitor, friends etc and sent them in. I also included a dated list of appointments I'd attended as a result of J's condition.

Remember that what you're aiming to do is prove that your child needs significantly more care and attention than a same-age peer, so whatever you can contribute that shows this is relevant. Diagnosis carries no weight, it's the amount of care that matters.

Start today if you can, do it a bit at a time so you don't get brain-dead, and keep at it. Good luck!

Karen

x

Similar question, really -- I've had my forms sitting around for two weeks as I just can't see how to fill in all the 'how many minutes?' sections. C needs a lot of help most days, but every day it's for something different! Some days sleeping is the problem, sometimes that's fine but he's desperately anxious about one of his currrent fears, sometimes I spend ages in school revising IEPs or accompanying school trips -- I kept a diary for a month, and any one thing averages out fairly low, but the total 'extra' time is still high.

Any suggestions anyone? Or do I just pick a bad week for each thing individually, and average those?

Similar question, really -- I've had my forms sitting around for two weeks as I just can't see how to fill in all the 'how many minutes?' sections. C needs a lot of help most days, but every day it's for something different! Some days sleeping is the problem, sometimes that's fine but he's desperately anxious about one of his currrent fears, sometimes I spend ages in school revising IEPs or accompanying school trips -- I kept a diary for a month, and any one thing averages out fairly low, but the total 'extra' time is still high.

Any suggestions anyone? Or do I just pick a bad week for each thing individually, and average those?

Lancelot,

I had the same problem with this. I would pick the worst possible scenario for each area of difficulty and describe that as if it was happening every day. Don't worry that you might be exaggerating or lying: it's impossible to predict when each problem is likely to arise.

K

if any one wants to pm i can email them a guide on how to fill them in,which they can print out but i warn you its long.

Hi All,

>:D<<'>

Thank you to all of you who gave me some very useful links. Will have a good read through later when kids are in bed. That is one job i am not looking forward to!

You have all offered such valuable advice and i will be listening to it all, so thank you all once again, most appreciated.

tmf

x

lots of luck - took me a while but i did it eventually.

For the questions that asked for minutes I put that i could not give a detailed time as each time was different and that it could be from x minutes to x minutes as a rough guide or when I got fed up with writing that I put "as long as it takes"!

Keep smiling :D

Supersec

xxx

Hi

First - read the headings on the DLA forms, get yourself a notebook, and then spend a week or two jotting down all sorts of thoughts about the difficulties of your daily life with your child. Our latest (successful) claim had 9 additional pages of information and examples.

Second - get some help. In our area, we have a great Welfare Rights and Community Liaison Service. We were able to get an appointment (all free) and chat at great length about our child, and how his needs fitted into the DLA application.

Here's a list of helpful tips, adapted from a talk the Welfare Rights gave to my local parents group:

-The DWP itself says that 20% of its decisions are incorrect in some way.

-The first job is to show that your child has care needs over and above those of his peers (having a diagnosis of Aspergers, or anything else, is not enough). Applicants must be able to detail the additional care needs (therapies, interventions etc.)

-The second job is to show that the extra care must be given frequently during the day - eg if a child can?t control behaviour, then you need to be able to demonstrate this and be specific about the supervision and extra attention that is needed.

-Assume the assessor is totally ignorant about ASDs - tell them everything they need to know about ASDs, you can send publicly available information/leaflets as evidence for the claim

-Consider asking the school or doctor to countersign the application, instead of writing a separate letter.

-Important: parents will often not see some of the support they?re giving as unusual (they're used to it).

-The DLA application form has questions such as 'how far can you walk before needing to stop?'. These appear simple, and indeed apparently irrelevant to AS. However, behind the question lies a mountain of legal case law. It can be really helpful to have an advisor to help frame the answers to best effect, and deal with the issues frequently rejected (incorrectly) by the DWP assessors.

-Further, for the question above: whereas the law asks for support that's 'reasonably' required, GPs can often give a clinical view ('I have seen the child walk'). An advisor can help ensure that the correct answer is supplied with evidence to back it up.

Here's a few extracts from our own DLA claim:

Ref.:Page 3, Walking Outdoors; and

Page 4, Support Outdoors

X is physically able to walk but needs support to make sure he is safe and can make good progress. The following apply both to familiar routes and especially to unfamiliar routes.

When anxious he cannot proceed safely unless closely supervised. He cannot be relied upon to notice traffic when crossing or walking alongside roads.

For instance, when setting off to school this week, as we approached our car (parked on the street) X became upset and agitated by something said by his brother. X then walked into the road without looking and opened the car door into the path of a passing car.

He needs to be closely supervised else he can be a danger to himself and others. He can change from 'relaxed' to 'anxious' in seconds, and then when anxious he simply will not notice the cars in the street etc.

He will frequently be distracted by objects and events which will stop progress unless under close supervision (by a combination of engaging with him on whatever is interesting him, and gentle, repeated encouragement to progress).

Despite his age (12), X will not undertake small walks on his own unless he is on very familiar ground (i.e. within 30 metres of home) probably due to anxiety and lack of confidence.

Also, as X's social and communication skills are impaired, he will not correctly interpret the motives of the other adults (and children) he might meet. Hence he is not capable of assessing stranger danger. For example, X may misinterpret a kind word from an old lady (causing him to run out into the street), and yet he's equally likely to not to recognise the risk posed by a more likely potential threat.

We had another 6 paragraphs like this!

Ref.Page 5, Keeping an Eye

Help during the day

Like other Aspergers Syndrome children, X's behaviour can appear normal when he is relatively unstressed. In practice X is under continual stress (of varying degrees) from everyday interactions: talking with other people, worrying about not completing tasks, being constrained by the needs of others, etc. He needs careful management and support to maintain his anxieties at a level that he is able to function normally.

When X's anxiety levels rise above his ability to cope with them he can suffer a rage attack. On these occasions X becomes irrationally agitated and disinhibited. His behaviour becomes very violent, including screaming, swearing, spitting, biting, kicking, throwing objects, hitting, destroying property and injuring himself and others. etc

His usual pattern is that whatever stress he has built up during the day is expressed in his behaviour in the first few hours after school. As a result, he needs very careful handling in this period to allow him to recover. We have found that he cannot be put into any kind of childcare, including after-school clubs, because of his special needs at this time of each day.

Changes in routine and unusual events (e.g. haircut, dentist, and holidays) have to be introduced with great care and preparation in order to be acceptable to X, and not trigger behaviour problems.

For instance, X has great trouble having his hair cut etc

I could go on and on, and indeed did do - I think I bored them into agreeing to let us have the DLA.

Good luck - and take your time

Elanor

Edited by Elanor

Thank elanor,

You have certainly given me a lot to think about......

we have just had to look into the triad of impairment (social interaction/language etc) And it was only whilst we were listing down his difficulties that we realised how bad he actually is.

Fingers crossed, and will take all advice in hand when filling out form, only got as far as looking at it...it scared me!

tmf

xx

Hi, after taking the plunge and thinking I'll start to have a look at this, I've spent 3 days of reading and reading and reading everything I can find on here, the NAS information sheets and the pack I received and I'm completely confused before I even get passed Part 5 - More about the child.

I haven't got a clue which of these boxes (if any) you're supposed to tick (obviously I know she's not blind, deaf and has all her limbs etc but it's the others like problems with speech - she can talk but has communication problems, does that count, also some of the others I just really don't know if AS falls into those categories).

• Is blind or partially sighted
  • Has problems with hearing etc
  • Has problems with speech or language etc
  • Is both deaf and blind
  • Has physical disabilities
  • Was born without legs or feet etc
  • Has a learning difficulty
  • Has a mental health problem
  • Has both a severe learning disability and severe behavioural problems
  • Has a long term illness
I've gone over and over the info on the NAS website looking for definition of things and they don't actually use any of that wording, they say that:

Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects the way a person communicates and relates to people around them. Children and adults with autism have difficulties with everyday social interaction. Their ability to develop friendships is generally limited as is their capacity to understand other people's emotional expression.

People with autism can often have accompanying learning disabilities but everyone with the condition shares a difficulty in making sense of the world.

There is also a condition called Asperger syndrome, which is a form of autism used to describe people who are usually at the higher functioning end of the autistic spectrum.

Although they mention learning disabilities they don't use the word 'severe', and they say that it is a developmental disability which isn't mentioned in the list.

I'm just scared of answering questions incorrectly and they suddenly say I've been trying to fraudulently claim or something.

I've read loads of the other things that help to try and understand what info to put in for each section but not for this page.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

Well, for what it's worth, I ticked:

Problems with hearing -

cos he ignores us - this could also apply for a child with sensitive hearing, it's not just about being deaf, it's any problem with hearing

Problems with speech or language

The Boy is non verbal, but I reckon this also applies if their speech is behind what you would expect for their age or if they reproduce huge chunks of language but without really understanding what they're saying

Learning difficulty

He doesn't learn like other kids - he has to have special approaches to teach him e.g. PECs or TEACCH. IMO any child who could not happily sit in a classroom and learn i.e. the "normal" approach to learning has a learning difficulty.

Mental Health problem (on the advice of my LEA - she said ASD is not really mental health, but it does affect mental reasoning)

As far as I am concerned, as long as you can quantify what you have ticked, then tick it. For e.g. "Has physical disabilities" could well apply to children on the spectrum if their co-ordination is affected and "Has both a severe learning disability and severe behavioural problems" could also relate to some.

At the end of the day, if there is a problem with something then tick it, mention it, mention it again and then put it in the summary just to make sure.

Think about the worst day you can imagine and quote that in there.

How can you be chosen for fraudulent claims when you have a disabled child & there are people out there claiming DLA and doing marathons? I know you'll worry - I did too - but at the end of the day if you can give examples of when the things occur then mention them.

Sending these >:D<<'> you'll need them to get through the form.

Then, when you've finished the form, have some of these :cheers::wine:

Edited by Jill

hello i have been reading the posts and you all make it sound so easy i wont know were to sart to fill them in you must all be brain boxs its had to do anything like that for me all the best jill

I found a glass of wine before filling it in helped. :lol:

I agree with everything Jill said.

You need to keep in your mind what an average child might be like in all of these areas and compare your child. Not a very morale boosting exercise, I have to admit. :wacko: If in doubt whether to tick something, tick it. Sometimes the definitions are broader than you might think, e.g. if you look at page 19, under their description of "mental health" it includes among other things, getting anxious or panicky, getting upset or frustrated, cannot cope with change to their daily routine. Most children of the spectrum will have some of these difficulties some of the time, and there's plenty of space to go into more detail.

I kept my copy of the DLA form and if you want to pm me any time I'm happy to tell you what kind of things I said on various pages, if it helps.

The funny (!) thing was after I'd spent HOURS filling the thing out we got a visit from one of their medical officers who was very sympathetic, but spent ages asking me EXACTLY the same questions and noting down my answers. :wallbash::rolleyes: (Don't panic, I'm the only one I know of who's had an actual visit and I think it may have worked in our favour. We got middle rate care and highter mobility).

K

Edited by Kathryn

Thank you for your replies - I'm sure as you say I need to keep an open mind about everything - the thing is I keep thinking how lucky I am that she can walk, talk, see and hear and feel that perhaps I'm over exaggerating her problems (although I know if someone asked me that on another day I'd have a different answer - she's been an angel this evening since I've come in from work!!).

Kathryn, I may just take you up on your offer if I get stuck. Thanks again.

Take care,

Jb,

Jill you have come with some very useful things. I certainly would never have even considred ticking those boxes! I really must start to learn to think outside the box!! :wacko:

Anyway somebody from the BAS has referred me to somebody who is an expert at wording and filling out these forms, so hopefully help will be at hand very soon :pray:

Then who knows, hopefully i can be one of 'brain boxes' as Board puts it and give advice instaed of seeking!! :D

Hi, hoping this is just a quick question to answer.

Still struggling with the form and wanted to know whether on part 4 - about the child's illnesses and disabilities - do you just put 'Aspergers' down or do you mention other things i.e. asthma or chronic constipation etc - or would this complicate things.

Many thanks,

Jb

jb,

Put it all down, I think. Err on the side of too much information.

My daughter also has physical difficulties which are not strictly part of AS, and I described these fully, although AS was the initial reason we went for the DLA.

K x

Having just been turned down again and now having to go to appeal I am searching for anything else. i found the info supplied on the NAS website really good. I wish i had read it before i applied.

mum22boys

Thanks all - will definitely put it all down now.

(Board - didn't know you could get it for Asthma).

Jb

I used these guides and got DLA on first application

http://www.bhas.org.uk/freeguides/dla_guides.shtml

The guides are down the right hand side as pdfs and they literally go through every single question step by step telling you what the best answer to give is.

As everyone says you just have to be negative, negative, negative - it really makes you think. And where the times are sometimes I just wrote between x and x minutes and other times I would write "frequently", "varies" etc.

Karen was right the people who make judgement on these forms are just admin folk, with very little medical knowledge and just look for key words. If poss get your statement from a professional and think about it now and send it to them now so they also have time to consider what to say.

I have heard of some people asking several folk to make a statement then choosing the best one too!

On 3/30/2006 at 7:15 PM, Kathryn said:

I found a glass of wine before filling it in helped. :lol:

I agree with everything Jill said.

You need to keep in your mind what an average child might be like in all of these areas and compare your child. Not a very morale boosting exercise, I have to admit. :wacko: If in doubt whether to tick something, tick it. Sometimes the definitions are broader than you might think, e.g. if you look at page 19, under their description of "mental health" it includes among other things, getting anxious or panicky, getting upset or frustrated, cannot cope with change to their daily routine. Most children of the spectrum will have some of these difficulties some of the time, and there's plenty of space to go into more detail.

I kept my copy of the DLA form and if you want to pm me any time I'm happy to tell you what kind of things I said on various pages, if it helps.

The funny (!) thing was after I'd spent HOURS filling the thing out we got a visit from one of their medical officers who was very sympathetic, but spent ages asking me EXACTLY the same questions and noting down my answers. :wallbash::rolleyes: (Don't panic, I'm the only one I know of who's had an actual visit and I think it may have worked in our favour. We got middle rate care and highter mobility).

K

pleade email md copy ur dla form kwillis152@gmail.com