Sign in to follow this  
call me jaded

More problems with vaccines

Vancouver neuroscientist Chris Shaw shows a link between the aluminum hydroxide used in vaccines, and symptoms associated with Parkinson?s, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, or Lou Gehrig?s disease), and Alzheimer?s.

?No one in my lab wants to get vaccinated,? he said. ?This totally creeped us out. We weren?t out there to poke holes in vaccines. But all of a sudden, oh my God?we?ve got neuron death!?

http://www.straight.com/content.cfm?id=16717

Ummmm....

that looked like a thoroughly dodgy article from the scientific point of view.

Take this, for instance: "To test the link theory, Shaw and his four-scientist team from UBC and Louisiana State University injected mice with the anthrax vaccine developed for the first Gulf War. Because Gulf War Syndrome looks a lot like ALS, Shaw explained, the neuroscientists had a chance to isolate a possible cause."

ALS? You what? ALS is Lou Gehrig's disease, a kind of motor neurone disease, it's what Professor Stephen Hawking has. I don't recall any Gulf War veterans complaining of progressive paralysis or being faced with a choice between suffocating to death or living on a ventilator for the rest of their days.

The article says the research isn't published yet - why? Good medical journals (BMJ etc) are not reticent about publishing high quality, high interest pieces of good research.

It is also worth pointing out that the mice sample used was ludicrously small (24 mices according to the article) - it would be a bit like me feeding one pet mouse bird seed and the other cat food for a month and then if one of them died declaring (in the press, not in the Mouse Health Annual journal) that cat food must be poisonous.

On a closer-to-home note, does autism have any features at all in common with ALS, Alzheimers or Parkinson's? Is neuron death implicated in autistic spectrum disorders? I don't honestly know but I seriously doubt it.

Dr Paul Shattock used the IAG test on Gulf War Veterans after spotting similarities with some aspects of autism. This test is 80% positive with autistic children but 95% positive with GWVs. I've heard Brian Hooper speak on GW syndrome. It is a very debilitating illness.