Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Bad day - was it the Happy Meal?

Took my son to McD on Saturday - he immediately had a red ear. Thought no more of it.

Today was his school play - he had a really bad day, totally switched off, tunnel vision, oblivious, deaf etc etc. Took him out to get new shoes after and he just blanked the shop assistant (he wouldnt normally).

Normally he is very very high functioning, but today it was like he had regressed a year. I was really worried about him.

His teacher said he had an off day and kept saying he was tired.

I am trying to think what he has had to eat, I think maybe the McD nuggets meal (and McD jelly) are the only things he has had different this week. It might have been the Easter play/assembly today but can't be sure.

He has changed toothpaste ... flouride?? Someone mentioned that on another site.

Are happy meals known for sending your kids do-lally and how long would any effects stay in the system?

During half term week I took my son(ASD) to MACD (normally he goes 2 or 3 times a year). Next day my older son took my son (ASD) to the shops and they stopped and got a MACD but I was not aware of it. For the whole week he was terrible he was short tempered had meltdowns and concentration was poor. Needless to say we will not be visiting there again even for a treat.

Jen

hiya stephanie,

Just a thought, but try checking the e-numbers in mcD's jelly. they don't put the info on the packaging but they normally have leaflets in-store or the may have it on the web-site. unless the flavouring is natural, jelly's usually packed with them and the mcD's ones are pretty artificial tasting!

I'm quite lucky as c seems immune to e-numbers, and the only things i've found that set him off on one is honey-nut ch**rios and flapjack, though i'm not sure why so if anyone can explain i'd be v-grateful (he's fine on sugar so i suspect it's got more to do with the oats???)

hope that's some use to you and soz i can't be more helpful.

kinky j

My son is not allowed fizzy pop,or processed food if i can help it at all.He likes it but his behaviour is markedly altered if he eats this type of food.Hes all angry and volitile.

what drink did u have ?

both my 2 boys [ones nt] go berserk when they had them purple fruit shoots so i never buy them now-if we go for odd treat i get them the milk with the happy meal .

ive noticed to they sell them fruit shoots in nearly every venue for kids/or where kids play ie; wacky warehouse ect.....and the other alternative is fizzy pop which also dose the same-so when i go out i usually take my kids a drink from home ......

If my son has a coke at any of these type of places, within minutes he is pounding off the walls.

He gets really very hyper after drinking it, needless to say we try and persuade him to have something

else to drink.

Brook

K loved coke and we have stopped all the fizzy drinks and there is a remarkable change in his behaviour - for the best. We also stopped buying crisp they make him hyper too

justamom

Yep both had purple fruit shoots!!! Although he has them sometimes at home and I havent noticed a reaction (but will keep my eye out).

I also have different bread this week ... different brand and am wondering about that.

What is it with fizzy drinks - the caffeine or something else??

I am a bit bummed if it is the MCD - he only goes about once a month if that, but it is his favourite place to go and the nuggets are the only meat he eats for that month - serious! And now I have discovered the sweet chilli chicken deli sandwich .. I want to go more often :P

The only thing I have previously seen him react to was a smarties lolly (oh my god - did he react!) apparently these are to be avoided at all costs. He seems fine with smarties though! Weird.

I never really believed the effect that food can have on behaviour until I observed it myself. But yes, you're describing exactly what I used to see happening to my ASD boy: eat food, perhaps get hyper, get fixated on something or be difficult to manage, the next day go into withdrawal. Alternating between a Tasmanian Devil and the Blob. Glad we don't go through that anymore.

McDs is my emergency backup food - my ASD boy can have fries and Sprite (or is it 7Up they sell?). He is fantastically grateful for a break from my home-cooking and chomps his way through two large fries. I just can't cope with the rest of them being horrific for the rest of the day so we don't do it unless desperate.

Yep both had purple fruit shoots!!! Although he has them sometimes at home and I havent noticed a reaction (but will keep my eye out).

I also have different bread this week ... different brand and am wondering about that.

What is it with fizzy drinks - the caffeine or something else??

I am a bit bummed if it is the MCD - he only goes about once a month if that, but it is his favourite place to go and the nuggets are the only meat he eats for that month - serious! And now I have discovered the sweet chilli chicken deli sandwich .. I want to go more often :P

The only thing I have previously seen him react to was a smarties lolly (oh my god - did he react!) apparently these are to be avoided at all costs. He seems fine with smarties though! Weird.

Stephanie,

We have H***s bread, but my mum uses K****M*** if my son eats any bread when we are at my

mums the affect is instant, he really cannot keep still.

Brook