Viper

Retching/ heaving at smells.

Ben seems very sensitive to smells. If someone farts and it stinks he can't stay in the room, he almost throws up. I think this could be his problem with using the loo. Anything to do with poo and he just starts puking, :sick: even at the sight of his own poo. :o

Do anyone else's kids suffer with this problem?

Viper, A has this problem. He's 14 now and we still haven't resolved it. I find his sensory issues are the most disabling thing he has to cope with. Sometimes we can mask the smell he can't tolerate with a smell that relaxes him because we can use scent both ways, but it is unusual for this to work consistently, one day it will the next it won't. I'm interested to see if anyone has a consistent resolution to this problem.

With regard to the toilet, we always have an expensive air freshening in the bathroom that A can tolerate. He chooses it. The current one is an orange fragrence by l'Occitaine. It is ?12 a bottle but worth the money for the melt downs that it prevents. I'm also thinking of trying that metal disc that QVC sell that is supposed to neutralise odours, sorry can't remember its name.

Edited by Tez

Hi Viper,

My AS daughter (12yrs) is extremely sensitive to smells, regularly retching.

When her little sister (she's now 3yrs) was going through the potty training thing she was terrible about it, also if anyone is sick or even has phlegm etc she starts to retch.

Jb

My NT son has this problem and to a greater extent. We have to eat anything which he does not like while he is out and then make sure that the smell has gone before he comes home. If, for example, we eat fish then we have to clear the smell lomng before he comes home. Even a tin of Tuna can make him vomit - quite funny actually as my ex is a Fisherman (it's not funny for Rob though) Any smell can trigger a vomiting attack. We can be sitting eating one minute and Rob can be heading for the Loo the next.

Did I say that he was NT :wacko:

Carole

J will gag at the sight of anyone eating sloppy food like porridge or mashed potato.

He is finally learning to ignore mashed potato, but it's taken a while.

S

TOM IS SENSITIVE TO SMELLS BUT TO BE FAIR HE IS THE ONE DOING THE FARTING AND THE REST OF US CANT STAND THE SMELL!!. POOR BOY IT MUST BE HARD FOR YR SON.

:P my son hates smells too

he can smell everything really strong

and when we r out hes always questioning me as to what "that" smell is -he hates the pet food smell in shops and starts shouting ugghhhh-poo and all sorts .

he dose it with most smells and food.

i remember when i was pregnant i could smell everything real strong so it must be like that for them.....and certain things made me retch.....i could even smell dog wee in the grass when i was walking along the footpath......... :wacko:

OH, Yes K is the same - he cant stand certain smells, like the poo he cant even stand his own smell and certain houses or shops he says have funny smells. If we go into a particular shop in the high street he says its smells and he will go into it but talks through his nose while in the shop. I avoid the shop now...

In the mornings he cant stomach any smells, breakfast is a nightmare and cant look at a plate of cereal or porridge he has popcorn for breakfast...

Justamom

Yes M is very sensitive, the other week we had been to pizza hut and he had eaten his pizza-plain of course with nothing on it!

When we had finished and we walking out we happened to pass the salad bar, all i heard was "thats disgusting" and off he ran to the toilet and threw up everything he had just eaten. :o

He said there was some pasta on the salad bar with vinagrette dressing on it and this had made him feel sick.

He has done this since he was a toddler.

Hello everyone,

Nellie the Zilo Smellkiller from QVC is great, both Taylor and myself find smells sometimes really too much gagging and stuff, we even have the family hunting around trying to find the offending smells then they get stressed in the process while we also get stressed trying to describe it, I think my partner is overjoyed at finding this, it helps quite considerably, given the fact that we can both smell an unwrapped chocolate from two room away at home! it works wonders .

Steve..

Steve,

Many thanks for the feedback.

I can smell chocolate from a great distance and I'm not normally sensitive to smell!!!

Nellie xx

Ben seems very sensitive to smells. If someone farts and it stinks he can't stay in the room, he almost throws up. I think this could be his problem with using the loo. Anything to do with poo and he just starts puking, :sick: even at the sight of his own poo. :o

Do anyone else's kids suffer with this problem?

My lad hasn't this problem he seems immune to many smells that others find dodgy, he can handle poo and not be bothered at all ! I, on the other hand will throw up if a cigarette is being smoked, enter a toilet that's recently been used (Public), see vomit (I don't have to smell it !), some Beer/acohol smells, and I can't even enter some shops myself for the pongs, the only way is to block my nose to avoid it, as I get older, it gets worse too :huh: Perhaps I am developing an allegy ?

Edited by Melow

AS son won't come near me if I've had orange juice because of the smell, and lately he won't touch metal because it leaves his hands "smelly."

But no retching thank goodness, that comes from my NT daughter who used to throw up every night when I was cooking dinner because the smells bothered her (this is the child who only eats about 4 things). She is getting better at controlling the vomiting but still gets The Look and has to run out of the room.

What's funny is that neither one seems particularly bothered by really smelly things like dog poo, just fruits and other food!

J and I were just talking about this, while he was smelling my feet :unsure: Apparently he likes strong, dirty smells, which is why he smells my feet at the end of the day (I'm pretty clean, honest, but it's strong to him!), armpits etc. He even likes to smell friends' bottoms :sick: but funnily enough he never seems to notice when one of us has used the toilet before him and there's an aroma in the air - and I'm pretty sure he'd mention it if he did notice, such is his affinity for such things.

When he was very small (he's seven now) he would retch at certain foods but he's a lot better now, although it does still happen occasionally. I've done a lot of work on him about food sensitivity, mostly to expand his diet but a side-effect has been that fewer smells bother him now - basically his fear has been reduced and he's more accepting now. Having said that, he does still ask "What's that funny smell?" when we're out, long before anyone else has noticed it, and can get a bit miffed when we say we can't smell it - he can so obviously so should we.

He'll 'help' me to cook occasionally but if something really offensive comes up, like garlic or onions, he'll have to leave the room and I do it myself. But then, he says he really likes the smell of cooked onions, just can't bear them raw.

Funny old business, innit?

Karen

x

is a major problem for us too. posted few weeks about our trip to Disneyland Paris. M was major stressed about the characters and his senses went off the scale. He was throwing up all over our 4* posh hotel at the slightest smell.

Is a bit better now not stressed but still a huge issue for us.

I wonder if we will ever get solution. Might ask my OT for any ideas.

Elaine

Will be giving demo of changing smell sensitivity using vison in lectures in Bedford in May and the Reading area in July.

For info of tickets for Bedford contact bernadette.henderson@luton.ac.uk

Edited by Ian Jordan

This topic is really fascinating, my son has always had these problems with smells,he also won,t come near me if I have eaten anything he does,nt like, retches at gloopy spills, a baby,s dirty bib,and won,t let you use a knife to cut his food if it,s had a bit of potato on it :rolleyes: .Ian I,m really interested in the concept of vision playing a part in this.Viper...........the only thing I have found to help this retching etc, is for the child to suck a mint around the pong, so if my son was going shopping with me and we went in the butchers, sucking a very strong mint has helped.........not a complete cure though.

hello do you find that they smell something before anyone else has my daughter says whats that smell and i cant smell any thing than there it is and allso looking at food on the tele makes her sick all the best jill

i am sensitive to smells as well i cant stand trhe smell of potato as it makes me puke also i i cant stand the smell of dog poo either