Steve_colour-se7en

NEW BOOK BOOST FOR CHILDREN WITH AUTISM

NEW BOOK BOOST FOR CHILDREN WITH AUTISM

A national health charity has today revealed it has teamed up with a leading publisher and entertainment firm to create a new fundraising book that aims to help children with autism understand facial expressions.

After scooping the support of a leading entertainment producer, the National Autistic Society has joined forces with publishers Egmont UK to create a new book featuring children's favourite Thomas the Tank Engine.

Hit Entertainment has paved the way for the charity to use the popular character in the new book, entitled "How do you feel, Thomas?", which is about facial expressions and their corresponding emotions.

And, chiefs at the company have agreed to donate 30p from the sale of each book to the work of the National Autistic Society (NAS).

The book aims to reach out to children living with autism who may have particular difficulty understanding emotions by connecting Thomas and his friends feeling happy, sad, excited, scared, angry and surprised with the corresponding facial expression.

for the rest of this article http://www.communitynewswire.press.net/article.jsp?id=271587

Steve..

Thanks for that Steve. :thumbs:

T has outgrown his Thomas phase now but I'll still get it when it's released in May b/c he will still be able to relate to the character. :D

Good on them for releasing what looks to be, a great book. :D

Edited by Tylers-mum

I know many children will enjoy the book, Thomas will have a big following among Autistic kids even though it's only because the NAS insisted there was and it became a self-fulfilling prophecy where I certainly didn't notice it was true before they started saying it.

I also know that it;s educational value is founded upon unproven assumptions though. The premise being that Autistic children(adults?) don't recognise others emotions, which I would turn around and say that NTs suffer the same problem often when dealing with Autistics.

I can go through a magazine off the shelf in WH Smith and be unsure of what emotions the models and actors are supposed to be displaying, but I have less trouble with real people, so judging my ability to read emotions based on pictures would be inaccurate. I think the same applies to most others.

Thanks Steve.

H was certainly Thomas fan for many years as many little boys I know. H had a very long video of it and kept watching it over and over again..

Lucas how many children from to 2 to 7 have you live with to get to know their favorite programe.

I agree a lot with this:

I can go through a magazine off the shelf in WH Smith and be unsure of what emotions the models and actors are supposed to be displaying, but I have less trouble with real people, so judging my ability to read emotions based on pictures would be inaccurate. I think the same applies to most others

even if I have notice that H has problems with facial expression (from me) which are not so straight forward.

Malika.

Another problem is that people think they are better actors than they really are. A person can ask me "What's does this expression mean" and pull a face at me that seems to be to be just a load of muscles contorting and they think they are recreating their normal face shape when they feel that emotion.

When a person is scared I will know, when they are suprised I will know, angry yes, happy yes, many yeses. But if I then asked them to show me what their face would look like if they felt a certain way, I would get a depiction of what they *think* their face is like, which doesn't mean it will be an accurate recreation of it.