Guest Frangipani

Jamie Oliver

Guest hallyscomet

Hi,

I was reading an article on Jamie Oliver and he said he would rather work and 18 hour day than spend time with his wife and kids, I know it was one of those trashy magazines. But I was also watching his tour of Italy program where he was turning 30 and he kept trying to call his wife to convince her to come to Italy to celebrate his 30th Birthday and she constantly kept saying to him "she wasn't coming over to Italy".

Do you think he is on the Spectrum, I do. Because as the Paediatrician was explaining to my daughter and I about her father being on the spectrum, he pulled out things that resemble the article I just read about Jamie Oliver hence, concluding that he is on the spectrum.

What do you think???

Hailey

Not really sure Hailey. Yep, he is totally work orientated but not really sure if he's on the spectrum or not. Guess I haven't really paid that much attention to him! :lol:

Hi TM

Would this classify as "Obsessive Behaviour" :huh:

Hailey >:D<<'>

Possibly!! :wub: But then there are workaholics out there that are not on the spectrum or that do not exhibit any of the other traits. My sister is one of them! :lol:

He does suffer from dyslexia. Which is one of the reasons he opened 15. He has done some wonderful things and he is still only young.

Jen

my boys peadatrition thinks he is adhd along with a few other famous peeps she named.he certainly has alot of energy

I don't think he is either, he is clearly able to grasp complex concepts and is highly organised most dyslexics are, many highly successful business people are dyslexic Winston Churchill Richard branson, Michael Heseltine to name few but asds and adhd aren't, all those recipes are from the mind of someone highly organised, I can only do about three recipes and it can take me from a week to a month to organise and by the time i've got it all together the first things have gone rotten.

He has also got a highly imaginative and a creative mind and i think is very socially adept and can organise a team of employees. My opinion is that asds would not be able to do all that

Edited by florrie

I would say no as simply having one or more Aspie traits isn't sufficient to say someone has Asoergers. The fact that he is so socially adept, constantly seeks out new things and doesn't seem to suffer from any social difficulties means that he does not have Autism.

Obsesive behaviour is NOT the same thing as Autism!

Simon

I would say that Jamie Oliver is one of the last people I'd of though of as having autism. He's driven, outgoing, and far too full of himself, quirky maybe but definately not autistic. I know he's very popular but I personally find him incredibly irritating and smug. JMHO. :)

Lauren

Jamie has done a lot for others and worked hard to get where he is so has a right to be smug. I persenly dont know him to say i like or dislike him but i think he should be proud of himself

Jamie has done a lot for others and worked hard to get where he is so has a right to be smug. I persenly dont know him to say i like or dislike him but i think he should be proud of himself

I agree he's achieved alot, with a lot of talent and a few lucky breaks. He's put alot of effort in to helping youngsters too. I also think that he's probably a nice bloke. That being said, and I don't take away from his acheivements, nobody has the right to be smug, no matter who they are or what they've achieved. I think he's done alot to improve school dinners, to help young people, and as a chef he's talented and entertaining. I just don't like 'smug', it goes hand in hand with being big headed, which I also think (probably justifiably) he is too.

Lauren

No I don't think so

Although I bet he could easily create some Multicoloured Mayhem in his kitchen .... probably starting with a small aubergine and some hundreds and thousands! :)

As an asd-individual, I am certain that he is. People don't know asd enough when they say an asd-person can't juggle many things and live a hectic life.

Whenever I suspect someone is, google, and find others have had the same suspicion, find little anecdotes/further proof about the person... that sets it. There is always a thread for those I "see it in". Never a thread for say Gordon Ramsey.

Edited by Swedenut
clumsy

I wouldn't rule out someone on the autistic spectrum being capable of being a TV chef. In fact, I could see how someone who struggles with social situations finding solace in the physicality of handling food and the rule-driven procedure of a recipe. Working in a noisy restaurant kitchen could be a challenge for someone with auditory sensitivities, but on the other hand some might find the blunt style of communication used by chefs easier than that used by office workers where you're expected to work out what people actually mean.

That said, I don't think Jamie Oliver is autistic. Not simply because of how he comes across as a presenter, because as Chris Packham has showed it's possible to develop a separate persona as a performer. I just think we would surely have heard about it by now if he were. Given how open he's been about his dyslexia diagnosis, it would seem out of character to keep an autism diagnosis secret. Nor do I think it likely that he would be autistic and unaware of it, because he would surely have learnt about it via his children. Although there wasn't as much awareness of autism when he received his dyslexia diagnosis in the 90s, I'm sure he would quick to notice if any of his children (how many does he have? 4? 5?) were dyslexic and be rooting for them to get all the assessments they need, including all associated conditions.