Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Walking on Toes

I know it is a common trait for ASD children to walk on their toes - my 5 year old ASD son does it slightly, more one foot than the other (I can tell because he has lights on his shoes!!!)

I have another son who is 15 months who I am watching like a hawk for traits ... and have noticed he too is walking on tiptoes .. he has been walking 4 months. Is this a normal toddler thing? He shows no traits so far - very different to my eldest, points, gestures, talks etc.

Maybe I am just being paranoid??

Hi Stephanie,

My 3yr old daughter does this all the time and I've been worried about it on and off - in fact more often than not her toes are bruised because she does it on hard flooring etc (my eldest girl is 12 and AS). I've worried terrible that she may have something (she's also very literal, fussy eater etc) - but she is so different in other ways, very social and aware of her surroundings etc.

I know it can be a trait but I do think lots of kids do it anyway.

Jb

Hi

I would say all kids do this to an extent my non Asd daughter age 7 does this from time to time more so than my 4 year old ASd son.You will know the signs to look for just keep an eye on little one but it's prob very normal.

Lisa x

I agree with zemanski most toddlers do this for a while.i worried about my son when he first started walking as he was doing this and it frightened me after what happened with my daughter.However much to my relief he settled down and he is fine walks perfectly okay now.

Hope this helps.

I also worried if he span round, looked at his hands, spun the wheels on his toy car etc etc.When we know the signs we can over analyse everything and worry often unneccessarily.

I am sure all will be fine >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

My asd son nearly 5 walks on his toes alot, Mainly when he has no shoes on and my daughter 21/2 has done it since being able to walk i'm sure she's copying him.

Clare :dance: