Sign in to follow this  
k9ruby

Severe allergies and ASDs- is there a link?

Are you sverly allergic to anything, as well as having a ASD?

I have severe dyspraxia and a anaphylatic nut allergy (my throat closes if i eat the tiniest trace of a nut, plus i have severe skin reactions from touching them) and have to carry epis with me everywhere i go.

my ASD son is allergic to Ampicillin its cause internal blistering needing hospital admission. His mother is allergic to lots of drugs. One allergy has caused asthma. I wonder how many more children or parents have severe allergies

Jen

I'm also mildy to moderately allergic to an antibiotic (not penicillin!) which i cant remember the name of, dogs, cats, dust, grass, pollen and horses!

K, is allergic to milk(can have milk in small quantities - it causes him to bleed from the bowel)fish, sulphur - he ended up in hospital on oxygen for this allergy he was very poorly .

He had a reaction to local anthestic during a dental treament, he had to have testing for allergies for that 17needles in his arm (poor kid) and he is now allergic to anethetic with peservatives...

He is very sensitivity to any kind of medication I panic giving him anything new.

I have recently had allergies to shell fish, my face swells and it takes a good 4/5days before i come right.

Justamom

My grandson Nyran has ASD and ADHD, he is severely allergic to peanuts and has to carry an Epipen everywhere. He is also allergic to horses, cats rabbits and dogs. Not sure about anything else yet. Teresa

My AS son has asthma, but no other allergies...

But my two youngest who are NT, both have severe, life-threatening multiple food allergies :(

Bid

Are you sverly allergic to anything, as well as having a ASD?

I have severe dyspraxia and a anaphylatic nut allergy (my throat closes if i eat the tiniest trace of a nut, plus i have severe skin reactions from touching them) and have to carry epis with me everywhere i go.

I'm a bit allergic to shellfish and mango (!), but so is my aunty and she's not the slightest bit ASD-ish. I've never had particularly bad hayfever, am fine with cats n dogs (they make my mum wheeze dreadfully though), and can eat peanuts with impunity.

My daughter L (age 17, ASD) gets severe hayfever every summer: it will begin very soon and carry on for months. There may be other allergies we don't know about - she has the occasional rash which can't be traced to anything.

K

My AS son has rhinitis (like hayfever, but all year round, reacting to lots of stuff not just pollen), but it is not severe as in needing medication. He just sneezes all over the place, giving everyone a 'shower' on a regular basis. :lol:

PS

He is sitting beside me and asking why there isn't a sneezing smiley :P

Mine has hay fever, mainly affecting his eyes.

If we go to the cattery he ends up all swollen eyed but he is fine with our cat. He is also allergic to my brother in laws guinea pig.

I think there are food intolerances but I need to hunt them out.

Fawziah Marra has just published some research which shows that having at least one dose of anti-biotics before age one doubles the risk of asthma, concluding that we need to be exposed to a number of bacteria and infections from a young age for the immune system to develop. We're just too darn clean, apparently.

Neither of my two seem to have any allergies so far. I have hayfever and am allergic to elasoplast and nickle but nothing too drastic.

Lynne x

I'm allergic to Fur, it makes red patches appear all over my skin to the touch, and also makes me sneeze alot. I have asthma and get heyfever also, but I don't think Ive had any allergic reactions to medicines.

I have heard this too and find it fascinating.

My Aspie daughter was born with milk and egg allergies (needed an epi pen for anaphylaxsia with eggs) but out grew them both. An interesting point here was that her consultant at the time told us that children who display allergies under the age of two CAN grow out of them.

She now has Asthma / eczema etc.

My son doesn't have an ASD or any allergies.

Hi,

My son has chronic asthma and eczema. He also has really bad rhinitis and has a runny nose every day and sneezes about forty times every morning (poor boy)!

I recently got him allergy tested on the NHS (they were reluctant but i forced them!). Turns out he is highly allergic to house dust mite, pollen, cats (oops we have 2) and food produce mix. Now we have to find out which food he is allergic to, although i suspect it's cow's milk because he had lactose intolerance as a baby.

Loulou xx

J is allergic to flea bites, they swell to trebble the siz3, we dont have pets but local cats come into our house, he is allergic to plasters and cheese is a great NO NO as well as lots of Chocolate.

I had to recieve emergancy treatment yesterday as an insect bite was severly swollen, I had tingly lips and my face swelled.

I was having an allergic reaction to an insect bite, It got better as the night went on and this morning its swelling has reduced, but can I say that I am allergic to insect bites?

I am also allergic to penacillin, and medications, so I didnt take anything for the allegic reaction to the insect bite incase I was allergic to the medication.

JsMum

This is interesting I never knew there to be any type of link. I do have allergy to most animals, and plant to the point I have been in the hospital a few times. I do animal rescue so not having animals around is out of the question. I am also allergic to cow's milk and onions.

I have an allergy to peanuts and an epipen. I think it may have lessened as the years have gone on (I used to be ill if someone had previously had peanuts in a room hours ago) Also bog standard allergies to animals with fur, eczema, asthma, hayfever.

Ds#1 did have a peanut allergy when younger (picked up through skin prick tests, not by eating one luckily) but outgrew this at 6. He's allergic to animals with fur, asthma, severe eczmea (though that's improving) and hayfever (improved also).

Ds#2 (nt) had a milk allergy as a baby. He has quite nasty hayfever too and mild eczema.