Sign in to follow this  
hev

money,money,money

i am in charge of all the finances etc in house and i would love to save but i find if im in a down mood i go and spend,only food shopping mainly but its stuff i dont need and its really mounting up,i tend to pay with my visa and it aint seeming like real money if that makes sense,its like i get a buzz and it lifts me for a bit then im back to square one,i still pay rent,bills but i would like to control my spending,any experiences please,love skint of kent!!!

Sorry Hev, no advice here i am the same SKINT row here. I am desperate for a holiday and have been looking on the net for a villa somewhere i dont care where as long as its got a private pool, this body is not censored so dont want others having a peak at it...

But i dont know if we will ever get there, its seems like we are always working and no playing!!!! Same old same old. My dad has a fav saying Same Sh*t just different day - its just the depth that varies

I need to hit the lottery and i promise i will get you out of skint row..

Justamom

Hi Hev,

Try keeping a money diary for a week. List everything you buy, no matter how small and total it up at the end. When you look at what youve spent and what youve spent it on its quite an eye opener. You can spot blips and weak spots in your spending and hopefully try and moderate your spending.

Can you leave your card at home and carry a bit of cash and write cheques for a while? Its so easy to lose track of your spending with a card. I always get to the end of the month with my fingers crossed!

Lorainex

Hi Hev

Am interested that you posted this because I'm exactly the same. I had it when I had PND after both kids, and am still the same, if I'm having a down day I spend - a lot of the time buying stuff for the kids on the assumption that if I buy them stuff I'm a good Mummy. Other times like you, just buying junk food and stuff that we dont need.

I know thats not logical, but thats my mindset at the time when I'm in that place. I did the bit where I kept track of what I spent and it was fairly embarrasing so now I'm working on it. Its hard to control though :-(

Lynne

I d what lorry suggested when I find myself 'wasting' cash, I write every spend down, I take a small diary with me everywhere, and even write down the 50p for a coffee, 20p somethings etc. Makes it all very real. Everything in our house is written down, every bill listed and dated, and even what we spend on extras is listed, then if I have a bit extra thats my maximum spending. I chopped up credit cards last November, then if I don't have it I don't spend it, and I haven't looked back. Finally getting some of the huge debt we got paid off. It seems OTT/sad but we were living on borrowed ? all the time and doing without essentials previously. If you don't want to chop the cards leave them with someone, someone you have to ask before spending, I have my partners cash cards and he has mine so I can't spend without his ok and he can't without mine.

Nearly forgot about this one, a friend of mine used to email me daily what she spent and what on and why, as she didn't buy things if she felt she had to justify it (knowing she couldn't justify another pair of shoes when she had over 50)

Suppose all this is about the same thing, accepting what is spent rather than oh it is just plastic.

Edited by lil_me

>:D<<'> I do save a bit, but i spend like a woman with no arms as my mom used to say - what the heck does that mean?. so im no help am I lol :blink:

Hev

Im exactly the same.

With me it isnt food but buying clothes,shoes ,earings hairdye makeup.Half the stuff i dont need or ever wear.Like you it gives me a boost when im fed up and down.

I cut up the credit cards years ago almost 4 years now we paid them off cancelled them and said never againe.And we should that be i havent since.

Instead we run an agreed overdraft at the bank.It currently stands at ?800 or there abouts overdrawn.Not too bad i guess in the scheme of things.

The bills ect are always paide,Theres always food in the cubboards so i kinda convince myself i aint a problem.I try to resists and walk away but its not easy at times.

I dont smoke though never have neither does my husband and we dont go out much so you think hey its our only vice.

Peter kay the comedian once said dont die leaving any fun left in the bank :D Think of it like that Hev.Or like i do in that ive all me life to pay it back.

Thing is if wed to live with in our means after bills ect wed have no cash for food let alone clothes.Wages are sh*t totally cr*p and dont reflect the basics in life no wonder were all skint.

Hiya. I know what you mean about buying stuff on VISA because it doesn't seem like real money - i do that all the time! It's really bad though because it means I lose track of what i've actually spent.

I think i'm pretty similar to yourself in when you spend - i buy in order to lift my mood, and then get in a bad mood because of how much i've spent, and so the cycle continues...!

I found the only thing I could do was to set myself a realistic allowance per day - so for every day I would be allowed to spend say no more than ?10 for arguments sake, then I knew how much I could and couldn't spend. If i was in a good mood one day then i usually wouldnt need to spend all my ?10 and so if I was in a really down mood the next day, I could afford to exercise my spending habbits with the extra budget on top!

I know that might sound a bit confusing and also if your going over budget some days, what's the point of a budget you may ask....I know it's ridiculous but it has actually helped me and might do the same for you! It makes some sort of wierd sense in my head anyway!!

:D