Sign in to follow this  
loulou

too much medication?

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking alot lately about the amount of medication Kai is on and it's really bothering me. Does anyone else have children who are on loads of medication?

Here's what he takes;

Concerta (slow release Ritalin) 18mg daily

Risperidone 0.5 mgs daily

Melatonin 3mgs at night

Two types of inhalers for asthma twice a day

Steroid nasal spray for Rhinitis (daily)

Antihistamines for hay-fever

Steroid cream for eczema

I've tried him without the nasal spray and antihistamines but it makes his life a misery. It's not like he doesn't need the medication, because he does as he has chronic asthma, ADHD and aspergers. Without his Ritalin he is really impulsive and hyper and without his Respiridone he is really aggressive. I feel guilty for giving him so much medication.

Loulou x

>:D<<'> Loulou >:D<<'>

If he had epilepsy or diabetes you wouldn't feel bad about giving him his meds, would you? >:D<<'>

Bid >:D<<'>

Seeing as you are expressing concern (and I wouldn't venture this opinion unless you were)...

Don't worry about the melatonin: it's an enzyme that used to be available over the counter. Our children have metabolic imbalances and this is one of them.

But it's obvious that his immune system is under severe stress because of the last four items on your list, and this is something you can do something about. Has he ever had any testing for allergies? Would you pay ?60 for the urine test?

Three out of the six of us at home have severe allergies. Eliminating triggers can and does improve things like asthma and eczema. Obviously you can't remove all the triggers, but my NT daughter is such a nicer person when she's not on dairy. Ditto my ASD boy but he has more triggers.

If you manage to eliminate the worst offenders he could perhaps come off the allergy meds.

Hi call me jaded,

I've been to the allergy clinic recently and they said it wasn't worth testing for allergies, because he would probably be positive to all of them. I felt completely fobbed off to be honest. They would rather fill a child full of drugs than test for allergies. They also want to take his tonsils and adenoids out too, which i'm not sure about.

I think i'll pay for private allergy testing, if anyone knows where i could get it done could they PM me please? I've tried to minimise allergens in the house, but if i knew the main offenders, i could try even harder.

Thanks, Loulou x

Hi did you watch the programme on C4 on children who had severe ashma and the parent had to prevent all the allergies, including pets been rehomed, well for the trail at least, all children made an improvement, they all had test too and I would recommend that you have the allergy tests because at the end of the day you need to know which once produce the worse reactions.

I dont think the ADHD medication is that high and the risperidal is the lowest already so your not giving him too much anyway, It might all be down to the ashma and alergies, which I would be getting another appointment and getting him another medical, maybe his sprays need revaluating, and a full MOT like bloods and urine tests.

Ashma really takes all your energy and it could be that he is having a particular difficultie with spring on the way, at the end of the day he needs all his medication because of his disabilities, I would look at the testing the allergies, look at some blood tests and see the ashma clinic and have a review.

JsMum

I didn't do any testing, I just took things out of the diet and watched and learned. Someone here's done the Yorktest. I was all set up to go to the Allergy Show one year but childcare problems got in the way.

Agree that it's seasonal. The leaves coming on the trees is particularly problematic for my son. Oh goodie that's soon.

My friend has just taken her anaphylactic non-autistic son off all allergy meds and can't get over how good he's been. She's beginning to wonder whether he was allergics to the meds. Obviously seek what medical advice you can.

Edited by call me jaded

I have got really bad allergies, severe asthma, and eczema and abdominal discomfort and painful joints ,and allergies to cats and horses, and some other animals not all, where my eyes and throat swell up and itch.

I've never been tested for allergies but what I did that I found to my amazement really worked was cutting out gluten and dairy and reducing a lot of things, so my diet is quite restricted fruit and veg and nuts and seeds and the eczema has cleared up and the asthma is greatly reduced and is now very slight. I know the diet I follow is very restricted and not for everyone but it has really helped. The swollen joints went down too but I still have some abdominal discomfort not sure what that is.

I hope you manage to work out and get to the bottom of what is causing your son's problems, an allergy test could be worth it.

Edited by florrie

Loulou, you may have already done this, but when I put special anti-allergenic covers on ds's bed (mattress and pillows) his rhinitis improved no end. He was about to go on meds, but didn't need to after that.