Viper

OMG Ben has selective toilet phobia.

I was watching the "Help me to speak" programme and realised Ben suffers the same thing only he can't wee instead of talk.

The bit they were saying about the kids being fine at home but when in public or at school they were too tense to talk, that is the same problem with Ben and toilets. One thing that struck me was when the little boys mum said people think he is just being stubborn and deliberately refusing to talk. As if he is manipulating people. That exact same thing was said to me about Ben. The continence nurse even said we were colluding with him to keep him in nappies.

If you took out the mutism and put in toilet phobia that programme would have been about Ben to a tee. All I have to do now is get someone to understand and believe me.

Am I making any sense here? This is a real big thing for me to realise what the problem is, how do I find someone who will listen and not make stupid suggestions on how to make him go?

>:D<<'>

I beleive you.

I dont know who can help you though.I hope you find someone who can.

DH (who shows several traits of an ASD though not enough he thinks to put him on the spectrum) hated using public toilets and even now will avoid them if possible.

sounds feasible to me, wonder if u cd google it and come up with something?

As you know my little lad has the loo phobia aswell, he's 7 now, and even when we got him out of nappies, he still refuses to go and holds it in instead, but we are now having some progress B) taking a lot of time/effort but we're getting there.

When ever I go into a public loo, I wonder if I'm the only person in the world that notices the smell, the unidentified colours and textures stuck to surfaces and cogniscience of the fact that this facility has been often used since the last time it was (inadequetely) cleaned.

What I do like doing is going to the bathroom and squirting some Flash on a mark and watching the grease dissolve just like in the ad. Dettol works but doesn't have the same flavour.