Flora

Article in the Daily Mail

Apologies if someone has already posted this.

Dr Robin Pauc has written a book with claims that he can 'cure' ADHD and other behavioural difficulties.

This is a quote from the article in the Daily Mail (today's copy page 48 double page spread)

' Thousands of parents will be horrified to hear I agree whole heartedly with those experts who say dyslexia does not exist as a distinct condition.

And I would say the same about dyspraxia, ADD, ADHD, OCD and even Tourettes. But I also believe that by focussing on the common problem, they can all be cured'.

:angry::o

I haven't finished reading the whole article because I nearly choked on my sandwich when I got up to that part.

Lauren

yes, nearly choked too!. he describes adhd, add,dyspraxia, autism in terms of certain minor ailments which can be aleviated or sorry 'cured by simple exercises. The man claim to be a neurologist. Publications and articles like these do not help the perceptions that some members of the general public, or indeed certain so call professionals have about 'hidden disabilities', etc .

Hi Lauren,

Won't be able to read the Mail til I get home from work - is he saying that he can 'cure' autism/ASD or is he just talking about ADD, ADHD, OCD & Tourettes.

Jb

Hi Lauren,

Won't be able to read the Mail til I get home from work - is he saying that he can 'cure' autism/ASD or is he just talking about ADD, ADHD, OCD & Tourettes.

Jb

They are all mentioned... autism, ADHD, tourettes.

I'm going to go and finish reading it. I'll post a bit more about it when I've finished.

aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!

i have an aunt who is convinced that bens autism is in my mind and by not giving him milk it will cure him.

in her words re ben not being able to ride a bike "we would have riding a bike within an hour"

she believes every single word in the mail as though it is the truth so no doubt she will be spurting this cr*p at me when she sees me at the weekend.

articles like this just make our lives so much more difficult.

I've read it a couple of times and at best it's very 'woolly'. He writes as if he's discovered something brand new. His 'cure' consists of:

Ascertaining which area of the brain is affected (how on earth do you do that?)

Tailoring exercises (which are similar to many of the braingym/ot/vision therapy exercises which have been around for a few years, and which have some affect but certainly not a cure.)

Nutrition - supplementing with omega 3 and 6. DUH!!!!

Diet - cutting out additives and artificial sweetners and eating a diet high in protein. Very innovative :huh:

I may be cynical, but I'm willing to try most things (within reason) to help make things easier for my boys. But reading this article, which ok isn't his book, I think he's just trying to make himself a bit of money.

The mention of autism in the article is very inconsistant. It begins by saying he can 'cure' most learning and behavioural difficulties, and lists autism as one of these :blink: . Then throughout the article when it says what his programme helps, autism is not mentioned. It's an eye catching article which can only do damage to families who are desperately trying to get someone to take their problems seriously. No doubt LEA's, teachers and some health professionals the length and breadth of the country will be raising a power salute to Dr Robin Pauc, as he as now armed them with another stick to beat us with.

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

I'm beggining to believe I have an eating disorder. Everyday I binge food, cramming it all in. Then I open a random page in the Daily Mail to induce violent and sustained vomiting through sheer nausia.

At least it isn't claiming that Jasper Carrot is allergic to food like the Sun did.

The article made no mention of studies proving ANY of it's assertions, it does however mention the author's book and retail price. The signs of a quack at work. Many cases of ADHD will certainly contradict the supposed cure methods because I've seen a lot of kids swap hands for tasks like learning to do tricks with a yo-yo in the left hand(as suggested) which is related to their difficulty in telling left from right.

why didnt i think before by getting ben to stand on his left foot brushing his teeth with his left hand would just sort him out and cure his autism????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

never mind the fact that he has sensory problems so even trying to get a toothbrush in his mouth would be an achievement in itself!!!!!

:angry:

I don't read the Daily Mail but is this from the same house that believes you can cure dyslexia by running up and downstairs with your eyes closed ........ good job it's not a cure for dyspraxia eh? ;)

I really hate asd being described as a behaviour problem I thought autism was a communication and social disorder and the problems associated with that can lead to behaviour problems, my sons behaviour problems when younger were always resolved by finding out what was causing the problems, althoug it is more difficult now and i find there is less outburst if I'm not involved, because we both can't communicate effectively with eachother and it makes me depressed and anxious and him agressive

I looked at his site and it didn't mention asd, but add dyspraxia and dyslexia and tourettes, I'm interested in learning processes myself and neurology and how the brain works and my opinion is you can improve things, as any nt person can too, Iwas tested at lindamood bell learning processes and dx with mixed receptive expressive language disorder, many people with asd have this, comprehension which is about conceptualisation no recollection of story for 5 year old, because I have no imagination or memory of what took place, but photographic memory for facts and chart though.

They were the only people who understood how these difficulties affected my life, ie routines obsessions and explained why and it made sense, and I was grateful and the report eventually contributed to me being dx with asd most professionals would understand the report as being related to asd difficulties. They do claim to put in programmes that can help and therefore reduce symptoms, althoug h very intensive 4 hours a day foor 6 months and would cost about ?20.000 but less effective if you are an adult, but I believe if I had had this as a child I would not have the level of difficulty I have now, but I wouldn't want to say it cures because i don't believe that it cures it just helps I think this type of stuff should be in the education system, although on the other side of the coin is I can get to the answer, Ijust can't demonstrate it in the way it supposed to be, so that others understand how I got to the answer, and usually sombody else proves it 20 years after I first had it, basically i process information differently to how the education system says I must process it and that is what gives rise to all these problems, well that is what I think, i don't mean to upset anyone who doesn't agree, and we all have to believe what makes sense to us.

I suppose it is always possible that I don't have an asd and my symptoms just mask an asd, I have considered and am still considering that, but I don't think so I have hyperlexia read fluently at 2 and I have had the ADOS test ecently too as a research volunteer, and was confirmed on the spectrum by professor

Edited by florrie

I've read it a couple of times and at best it's very 'woolly'. He writes as if he's discovered something brand new. His 'cure' consists of:

Ascertaining which area of the brain is affected (how on earth do you do that?)

Tailoring exercises (which are similar to many of the braingym/ot/vision therapy exercises which have been around for a few years, and which have some affect but certainly not a cure.)

Nutrition - supplementing with omega 3 and 6. DUH!!!!

Diet - cutting out additives and artificial sweetners and eating a diet high in protein. Very innovative :huh:

I may be cynical, but I'm willing to try most things (within reason) to help make things easier for my boys. But reading this article, which ok isn't his book, I think he's just trying to make himself a bit of money.

The mention of autism in the article is very inconsistant. It begins by saying he can 'cure' most learning and behavioural difficulties, and lists autism as one of these :blink: . Then throughout the article when it says what his programme helps, autism is not mentioned. It's an eye catching article which can only do damage to families who are desperately trying to get someone to take their problems seriously. No doubt LEA's, teachers and some health professionals the length and breadth of the country will be raising a power salute to Dr Robin Pauc, as he as now armed them with another stick to beat us with.

Lauren

I've read it since I got home and would agree exactly with what your saying Lauren. Nothing is consistent - the heading and one other sentence mentions the word Autism - it also says that they are all behavioural problems and doesn't mention any social or communication problems.

It mentions diet as well - but basically I think we're all aware that additives don't help kids on the spectrum and I know loads of people on these forums swear by CF/GF diets so he's quoting nothing new there.

As for the brain exercises I asked my daughter to close her eyes and walk up three steps with her arms by her sides and she did nearly fall over into the wall first time - after quite a few goes yes she did slightly better at it. I can believe that maybe things like this may help with her co-ordination (although I'm assuming this is only similar to what OT do?).

Although this article is quite vague in certain areas it still mentions the word autism in a round about way as being one of the 'symptom's he can cure.

I can imagine loads of people reading this and being totally mis-informed (as if they're not already!!!!) and mis-led because he isn't specific in certain things that he says.

I can't find it on their web-site to post a link - I'm in the middle of re-typing it if anyone wants it posted.

Jb

Here's the article (apologies for any typo's or missing words)..........

Yes, we can cure ADHD

Around one in five children in the UK suffers some sort of behavioural problem. But neurologist Dr. Robin Pauc is offering new hope for them. Here, in an exclusive extract from his book, Dr. Pauc explains his theory ? and the mother of one of his patients tells her story??

?As a neurologist my task is to study the brain to understand how it functions. My breakthrough with ADHD and related disorders came at my Hampshire clinic when I made a link between a problem in the production of the child?s brain cells and a spectrum of supposedly distinct behavioural problems.

The good news for parents of the two-and-a-quarter million children in the UK with behavioural problems or learning difficulties is that something can be done to help. By combining a programme of brain-stimulating exercises and putting the child on a healthier diet, I have achieved what I believe to be a near total solution. Over the past 20 years the medical establishment has tried to diagnose and label learning difficulties and behavioural problems.

The labels used are: attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), attention deficit disorder (ADD), dyslexia, dyspraxia (a co-ordination disorder), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), autism and Tourette?s syndrome, which is characterised by tics ? involuntary, rapid, sudden movements.

However, I believe these labels are of little use because all the disorders named above are symptoms rather than conditions ? in fact, symptoms of a wider underlying problem. When I see a child with these symptoms, I don?t think: Ah, that child has ADD, I think: that child has ADD symptoms, which means they have an immaturity in the brain. Let?s find out where it is in the brain and treat it.

Thousands of parents will be horrified to hear I agree whole-heartedly with those experts who say dyslexia does not exist as a distinct condition. And I would say the same about dyspraxia, ADD, ADHD, OCD and even Tourette?s. But I also believe that by focusing on the common problem, they can all be cured.

When a child is assessed properly, they are found to have a mixture of symptoms ? including dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADD and OCD. It may sound awful, if you thought your child just had ADHD, to find out that?s not the only problem. But actually this discovery helps enormously in treating the child. The symptoms, and to what degree they are shown, will help pinpoint where in the child?s brain the problem lies.

This is the first step towards finding an effective treatment. One way in which humans differ from other animals is that when we are born, our brains are nowhere near completely formed. That is because if we waited until the brain was more mature before giving birth, we would have to give birth to toddlers of at least 21 months ? not a practical option.

So babies are born after nine months in the womb even though their brains are incomplete. One missing element is the spindle cell. Apart from humans, spindle cells are found only in the brains of animals that we think of as being most like us ? bonobos (pygmy chimpanzee), chimpanzees, orangutans and gorillas. However, orangutans have only a few spindle cells: gorillas, chimps and bonobos have more, but still not that many. By contrast humans have tens of thousands of spindle cells.

They develop in humans after birth at around four months and move to the very front of the brain. Animal studies have shown that only humans suffer from learning and behavioural difficulties, so it makes sense to look at the brain cells that make us uniquely human. Spindle cells are found in a small area of the front of the brain, the prefrontal cortex. This is involved with attention, pain and fear, and also in modulating the workings of the autonomic nervous system, which controls all the things we don?t ?think about? ? heart rate, blood pressure etc.

The prefrontal cortex gives us our humanity, permitting us to live harmoniously in highly structured and regulated societies. It also gives us amazing concepts such as time and thereby the ability to plan events far into the future. An absence of spindle cells results in autism and the attendant inability to become a part of society and interact with others. Under-functioning spindle cells cause ADD and ADHD.

Furthermore, all areas of the prefrontal cortex must work together for us to develop normally. So, why do some brains have an absence or lower level of spindle cells and therefore developmental problems.

Although being born prematurely is the main cause, there can be other reasons. It is thought that if the mother?s oestrogen level rises during pregnancy, it may affect a developing male brain, while a developing female brain remains unaffected. (This may explain why many more boys than girls are affected by developmental delay).

Research shows that foetal distress predisposes a genetically susceptible child to developmental delay, as do certain forms of interventions such as forceps or ventouse, when a vacuum suction is used to help deliver the baby. Another reason for the poor development and maturation of spindle cells is a diet containing additives and E-numbers and too much salt and sugar.

Children put on a diet excluding these elements show an immediate improvement in their behaviour and performance levels. Similarly, a lack of certain essential fats and nutrients can cause a delayed development of spindle cells. The brain has to be fed properly to work properly. Essential fatty acids ? particularly omega 3 and 6 ? are absolutely crucial.

There is also a genetic element. The chances of genetic problems being passes on in one or more offspring are in the region of one third if the mother has a behavioural or learning problem, but this rises dramatically to more than 70 percent if it is on the father?s side. The fact that one or both parents have had developmental problems does not necessarily mean their offspring will be affected, but the predisposition will be there.

If there is a problem with the development of spindle cells, something called diaschisis occurs: one area of the brain under-functions and this causes another, often distant, area of brain to under-function as a consequence. Think of it as though you were making a car. If the factory that supplies the seat for the car goes on strike, eventually the factory that produces the cars grinds to a halt, too. That happens with the brain. They symptoms displayed in children depend on what area of the brain starts to under-function, and to what extent.

So what can be done? Quite simply, a series of brain exercises and a change in diet. If you exercise your muscles, you will keep in trim. So, too, does exercising the brain, keep it in good shape. To boost spindle cell development, you must use it or lose it. The treatments I suggest range from simple yet specific exercises at home, designed to open up neural pathways to the area or areas of brain found to be under-functioning, to much more sophisticated computer-generated exercise programs.

Some children might have to walk up and down three stairs with their eyes closed and their hands at their sides. Others will be asked to brush their teeth with their left hand while standing on their left leg. The treatment has to be tailor-made for each person. The exercises are repeated regularly and a rapid improvement in the task performance is usually seen within weeks.

I also tell the parents to change their child?s diet. Until the late teens, the nervous system is far from fully developed. During this process, the nervous system obviously needs a balanced diet to provide all the building blocks needed. But it particularly needs certain essential fats for the material myelin that insulates fast conducting nerve fibres and helps them to work properly. And the nervous system needs fuel ? oxygen and glucose ? but not too much. Children who are fussy eaters insidiously create their own diet, often based on nothing but carbohydrates and pure sugars, which floods the system with fuel.

This triggers a specific area of brain, ?the pleasure centre?, which then craves the next ?high?. Mothers are often duped into fuelling the cravings by feeding the child with crisps and high glucose drinks. As the brain in this situation is already struggling to develop and the network of spindle cells are still maturing, it is essential to avoid anything that may slow down the process still further or indeed potentially damage these cells.

Unfortunately, this child-driven diet often contains levels of stabilisers, colourants etc which the immature brain cannot cope with. Aspartame, used in many soft drinks, would appear to trigger a cascade effect where excessive amounts of glutamate (an excitatory neurotransmitter) are liberated, resulting in hyperactive and often pointless destructive behaviour in children.

So you need to give your child a healthy, high-protein diet, supplemented with essential fats.

Extracted from ?Is that my child: Exploding the myths of Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Tourette?s Syndrom of Childhood, ADD, ADHD and OCD? by Dr. Robin Pauc.

Brain Exercises that could help your child.

� With hands by the side, head in the neutral position and eyes closed, walk up and then down three stairs, three times, three times a day.

� When you can do it perfectly, do five repetitions, then seven, then ten.

� Once you have mastered forward stairwalking, do it backwards, with the same progressions.

� Once you can stairwalk forwards and backwards, start forward stair walking again but this time carrying a tray with a plastic tumbler full of water on it.

� Each day when brushing your teeth, use your left hand and stand on your left leg.

� Teach yourself to use a yo-yo using your left hand. Learn as many tricks as possible.

� Trace mazes using your left hand.

� Stand on your left leg, sing a song and conduct an orchestra using your left hand.

(Related article by the mother of a son who visited his clinic)

Suddenly, my son can concentrate

XXX was diagnosed with dyslexia sas well as showing signs of Tourette?s and dyspraxia, a complex learning difficulty which impacts on a person?s ability to think out, plan and carry out sensory/motor tasks.

XXX says, ?Being dyslexic myself, I recognised the signs in XXX at a very young age. He had delayed speech and crawled late. As he got older, he wouldn?t attempt to read, couldn?t learn the days of the week and had a terrible memory. A great friend who?d come round regularly would be known as ?the lady with the yellow hair? ? he couldn?t remember her name. Last September, I took XXX to Dr. Pauc?s clinic. In the test for lack of mind/body co-ordination, he had to close his eyes, put his hands in his pockets and then walk up three stairs. He fell over. The clinic recommended we changed XXX?s diet (cutting out E-numbers and artificial sugars), do visual tests every day with him on a computer program and give him supplements such as omega 3 and 6.

A month later his concentration levels were much better and within two months he was confident, happier, and his ability (and eagerness) to read greatly improved.

But it was his concentration and memory skills that we most noticed a difference. XXX has always loved the martial art Tae Kwon Do. Unfortunately, he?s always had difficulty moving up grade levels because he can?t remember the sequence of movements. Just last month, however, he remembered everything, passing the grade with flying colours. It may sound a small achievement, but to XXX it was enormous.

Jb

Edited by jb1964

Perhaps the doctor has something useful to offer - for some conditions.

However, an improved memory is certainly not what my autistic son needs!

Autism is mentioned only tangentially: it doesn't seem to be at the core of what he is talking about; it looks like it has been thrown in at the last minute.

Y'all attacking the Daily Mail could take a step back.

The headline says 'controversial new book' and 'claims'.

The Mail doesn't pretend to be a scientific journal.

The Mail gives houseroom to controversial claims on just about everything, and that's actually a service of a kind. You happen to be senstive about this topic.

There's plenty of worse baloney on the internet.

What a badly written article. It is full of inconsistancies and baseless concepts. It wouldn't surprise me if that hypnosis specialist who had a TV programme back in the 1990s could come up with better "cures" than anything Dr. Pauc suggests.

The article is dreadful but the man is in the USA and in the USA they are light years ahead of the UK in all aspects of neuroscience and also all aspects of addressing people as individuals and tailoring learning and treatments to the individual instead of the other way round.

I understand him to be saying that ADD, ADHD, ASD,Dyslexia et al are the consequences of neurological differences not the condition itself. This is important because so much medicine is wrongly about treating the symptom not the cause. Sometimes the cause may not be curable - shrunken or twisted prefrontal cortex for example but the symptom can be improved by training different neural pathways to either work better or to work at all.

When people ask how can you tell that it is ADD or ADHD or whatever, it is really quite easy with the kind of brain scanning techniques now routinely used in USA.

Certainly it is true that each condition is a different constellation and our understanding of this is growing all the time.

The trouble is we are all too easily locked into the conventional wisdom - there is no cure for autism. But once it was believed that you could tell a murderer by what he looked like and that the earth was flat.

Science is making fantastic advances in ways that are going to make conventional medicine and psychiatry completely redundant and there is some hope that in a realtively short time some progress will be made with stem cell treatments that will quite literally grow and repair all parts of our body including the brain.

I understand the frustration that having to live with an ASD causes and the anger that meds and eds and SWs bring out in us all, but we must try to outwit them by our determination to demand as good as is available not by burying our heads in the sand.

We need a system to rebut articles like this one that simply give a half baked version of something and enable services to wriggle a little more to not do anything to help.And we need to articulate the need for universal standards in the treatment of disability not the fragmented and uneven services that are currently being delivered.

These "exercises"........seem to have the same base as bi-lateral integration and ddat.........my son improved doing similar kinds of things with his OT but it did,nt cure him.It,s good articles like this are written , it gives us something to ponder I was interested to read about the areas of brain thought to be affected.By son has ASD dyslexia and dyspraxia so I found it really interesting .Not convinced yet though.

The Daily Mail's journalists wrote this article using this Drs information so they and their editor do have some responsibility here for publishing something that is only going to make it that much harder to get the help our children need!

They printed this so will expect to get some response from the public, they need to hear BOTH sides of the matter afterall.

Journalists. What the hell do they know about AS and ASD. I thought journalists were supposed to report news rather than make news, but in reality they are often merchants of disinformation.

What a badly written article. It is full of inconsistancies and baseless concepts. It wouldn't surprise me if that hypnosis specialist who had a TV programme back in the 1990s could come up with better "cures" than anything Dr. Pauc suggests.

Paul McKenna?

He successfully helped /cured people with various conditions on a series he had on sky1 last year [?],including one person with tourettes if I remember correctly,so I'd say that theory is correct [that he could come up with something better].

There are a number of problems here.

Firstly he has gone about things in an inflammatory way. If he was simply claiming that he had devised a set of exercises that can help people with ADHD, Autism and related conditions then most people would at least have been wiling to hear what he had to say, even if the research to support his conclusions appears to be patchy to say the least.

What he has done is claimed success for his methods, based largely on anecdotes rather than serious research, then compunded the error by saying that he knows better than almost all the experts in the field and is able to assert that they are not life-long conditions after all but simply learned behaviours, a theory that was relegated to history when the 'refrigerator mother' theories were dismissed.

Add that to the fact he is flogging a book and is plainly one of the 'Curbie' brigade and I dislike him already.He presumably charges alot of money to parents who are desperate enough to give anything a try, bit in a rush to have maximum impact he is giving credence to discredited theories. The real tradgedy about this is that there are probably teachers, LSA's and LEA employees and all kind of other people one step removed from living with our children reding the article and thinking 'I told you so' before explaining to parents how they have cased the problem via inaction, poor parenting and bad diet.

:wallbash::wallbash::angry::angry::wallbash::wallbash:

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

This man was on GMTV this morning, claiming to have a cure for allsorts of "behavioral problems", as usual ASD was mentioned in his introduction but then no further mention made. His methods seem very similar to the DORE treatment, this possibly may help some people, but perhaps more so those with a good deal of insight into their difficulties eg dyslexia. I'd like to see any of these "experts" pin down my ADHD/ASD child and convince him !!!

I agree that these problems are developmental and neurological but spindle cells have certainly not been proved to be the root source of any of these neurological conditions nor have they been shown to explain or define humanity even though they are only found in primates.

For autism the areas that seem most promising in research at the moment are the amygdala and the fusiform gyrus which do have connection with spindle cells, but other areas are being explored too.

The amygdala and fusiform gyrus are both known to be involved with facial and emotional processing and there appear to be abnormalities in the development of these areas in people with autism but nothing is proven as yet.

It confuses me that he is using fairly current science to suggest the problems are neurological and then saying they are behaviour problems and should be treated accordingly.

Neurological problems can be supported with behavioural therapies (usually compensatory) - like teaching ASC kids to understand emotion cognitively so that they can function more effectively - and I assume you can alter brain function to some extent by using the brain in particular ways so that particular bits develop rather than others - practice makes perfect - but it is not a cure for any of these conditions and I would have thought that it is pretty hit and miss.

I find it hard to believe that Dot's severe dyslexia is behavioural, I am inclined to think that it is visual perception that causes her the most problems (probably a problem in the amygdala!).

First, she has no behaviour problems (well, not more than most, and probably a lot less than some), second, she has no attention problems, her 'freedom from distractibility index' is in the 90th centile, way above average and she concentrates for hours, often on books and writing of her own accord, and third, her diet is poor because of her bowel problems, healthy fresh veg and friut, or additives to give her what they contain usually cause severe diarrhea, I'd like to bet the doctor couldn't manage her diet any better than I can without making her seriously ill (she takes fish oil for her motor coordination, anything more is just too much for her system)

It is the way people like this make such sweeping claims that gets me, it is totally irresponsible. If his science is good then he should be telling us about it properly, but what he is doing is grabbing onto some current hypotheses to justify his methods without any proof, he has not done any formal research, he has written no papers and has not had his work peer reviewed. If you want to know about the role of these areas of the brain in autism then look up Geoff Bird and Robert T Schultz - both well known in their field, one in the US and one in the UK. Neither of them suggest they are anywhere near using their research into the function of the brain to develop strategies and treatments, the role of these areas is still only just being explored.

Zemanski

I don't know why anyone would get upset about what the Daily Mail publishes. It's just trash aimed at a readership that considers itself one step beyond the Sun or Mirror. Pseudo intellectual bull. Hence the article written by this journo to stir up popular feeling within it's readership.

As a paper it's well known for its campaigns that tug on the family heart strings, it's an opinion but not mine, so I don't read it. Prefer my news and social comment in black and white, so I can make my own mind up, that's why I'm a Times addict. Maybe that's a case of snobbishness and perhaps I've upset every Mail reader here.

Newspapers are a very personal thing, like crosswords, you get to like the style, printface, content and become attached. Once you're comfortable and a regular reader, you are open to manipulation - just what Editors like because it keeps you hooked into buying.

Scary. In my opinion, the Mail is a very right wing rag that masquerades as a humanist paper and should be avoided like the plague.

Sorry folks if that's negative, but I have strong feelings in this area, manipulation of the masses and indoctrination during tea breaks is surely no way of getting a universal understanding of humanity.

No one outside or on the verges of "Mail mainstream" can hope to survive while papers like this are so important to so many.

Bunkering down for flames.

R :ph34r:

I'm not so worried about the mail as I am about his book and clinic and the number of parents who may be misled and the children who may be badly let down

Z

Edited by Zemanski

I don't know why anyone would get upset about what the Daily Mail publishes. It's just trash aimed at a readership that considers itself one step beyond the Sun or Mirror. Pseudo intellectual bull. Hence the article written by this journo to stir up popular feeling within it's readership.

I think many would disagree about it being one step beyond anymore it's got so bad in recent times.

The Daily Mail is a populist newspaper targetted at Essex Man. Allegedly most Daily Mail readers are of fairly high intelligence and hold high moral standards. It isn't a newspaper popular with chavs. The Daily Mail is certainly a popular newspaper in my part of the country and it isn't Essex. A good way of determining the popularity of newspapers is to visit a petrol station in the evening and count the newspapers left. I find that the Daily Mail is almost always sold out but there is a big pile of Guardians and Mirrors.

Y'all attacking the Daily Mail could take a step back.

The headline says 'controversial new book' and 'claims'.

The Mail doesn't pretend to be a scientific journal.

The Mail gives houseroom to controversial claims on just about everything, and that's actually a service of a kind. You happen to be senstive about this topic.

There's plenty of worse baloney on the internet.

I agree. It does not offend me at all. In a lot of cases with some children (including non autistic and non adhd children) it is blindingly obvious that a change in diet could help calm a hyperactive temperament. My autistic son is on a strict diet but the slightest over indulgance of sugars or any other infringement changes his mood massively and affects his concentraction and eye contact. Do other people not find this with their children???? I see it in my friends children all the time. A lot of us are aware of these things all ready, but if this article makes any one re-think thier childs diet and elimate some of the cr*p going into them and look at ways of improving concentration with brian stimulating exercises (a perfectly logical theory)is not such a bad thing. It may not cure everything but it could help.

The Daily Mail is a populist newspaper targetted at Essex Man.

I think that's a bit harsh on people from Essex :lol: