phasmid

Parent Partnership Services Experiences

Help!

I am writing a section of my dissertation covering PPS. I need some views on PPS from 'service users' (thats you guys).

Have you have had a rough run in with yours. I need a case study of a parent with a bad experience of PPS. You won't be identifiable in any way. If you are able to show, for example, that information you gave PPS in confidence was fed straight back to the LEA / school (without your permission) I need your input.

To offer a balanced perspective I also need a shining example of a good service from a PPS. Has your gone that extra mile to assist you when you have had a problem with either your childs school or LEA? I need you too!

All details will be removed so you cannot be identified in any way whatsoever. The reference will simply read along the lines of : Parent D (2006) Private correspondence (2006)

Can you help....please? If so please PM me with your experiences. I only need two and unless the particular replies chosen indicate they wish to know if they have been used or not I won't respond other than a swift thank you acknowldgement.

Thanks all Phas

***I should have stated above that my research covers from the start of primary school (5 yrs old) to the age of 11 only***

Sorry!

Phas, wish I could help you, cos you done such a fab job of helping me when I,ve needed it, but alas, I,m neither a bad or shining example, somewhere in the middle.Good luck with it Suzex

Phas, it's not exactly a major problem. But here is my experience of pp.

I've contacted them several times in the past and they never get back to me. I once rang and asked if I could have someone come to a meeting and they didn't get back to me even though I gave them plenty of time.

In January our LEA officer got one to come to a meeting at my home; which left me wondering who they were representing. The lady who came was really nice and supportive during the meeting. However, I rang them over a week ago and told them about the problems William had at school in the last week of term. Someone was supposed to ring me back at the beginning of last week. I never heard from them at all, but our LEA officer rang last week to say pp had rang her and told her of the problems William was having. What I was puzzled about is that they seem quick to communicate with the LEA but are fairly unreliable when it comes to contact with the parents. But when they do show up they are very supportive and sympathetic.

Lauren

Phas,

I never miss the opportunity for a good old rant about PPS, but unfortunately we're outside your age limit.

Good luck with it, :)

K x

:D phas my contact with pp has been positive.They advised me when my son was 6 and under-going dx for dyslexia.They helped again during the statementing process.The last time they helped was a month ago, I phoned and left a message on the answering machine.Someone phoned back and noted the details of my query.Then someone phoned at a given time(when it suited me) to go through my problem.They helped with a letter and aso offered to attend a meeting with me.They phoned back again to see how things had gone on.They also send out termly fact/info sheets on whats happening within the lea regarding sen, and they have workshops for parents, with advice on HS transition, statementing , and SA, SA+.

Suze

For my own information, I would be very interested to know if the PPS is bought in by your LEA or if it is an employee of the LEA.

Our PPS told a parent not to bother putting her choice of school on the statement as she wouldn't get it anyway!! She told her to name a particular school otherwise the places would all be gone there! This is definately not what the government intended and is outside the remit of PPS!!!!! Oh by the way - she is employed by the LEA!

HelenL

Hi Phas,

not too sure if this could be helpful as thyere were not realy any chance to develope some form of partnership with PP.

My experience of PP is the following last year after puting pressure on the school to get more support for my son without much result I had been advice to ring the PP which I did a young lady ask me quite few details on the phone my son name, my address, his school, his age and if I had a DX and from who, she then told me that she was just taking details and they would call back to give me an appointment.

I was call back the day after and the persone at the phone gave her name ask me briefly why I had been calling them, then told me that my son according to the school was coping well and I should accept and follow what ever the school had decided to do for him.

I was not given any opportunity to meet anybody or to show the report from the medical team and it was obvious that they had contacted the school (behind my back) and given credit to their side of the story without even bothering to meet me.

That was the end of it. I never contacted them again instead i contacted the IPSEA.

Good luck

Malika.

Our local PP is absolutely useless and to be honest is giving inappropriate advice to parents it would seem. Ive just surveyed local parents and most had had no contact and if they had found them to be of no help. As a result I contacted other ares PP and read the repot by the DFES. Im aware that our lea are looking at PP. They will I suspect not opt for an independent service. I would really welcome others views on ow the service is operated. There seems to be a few ways:1) - completely independent and operated by a voluntary group 2) Lea operated but at arms length 3) Lea employee who has in my opinion conflict of interest. Thanks

Edited by madme

Hi Phasmid - I've always steered clear of our PP service. The only helpful thing they've done for me is to send me a brochure about autism almost five years *after* diagnosis. Added to that, they share an office with the Children's Services Authority SEN team. How "independent" is that then??

Hi I am new here but my PP has been absolutely fantastic and I wouldnt have got to where I am now without her. She has fought S's exclusion, we got a statement , she comes to all meetings and usually comes to my house and hour before to discuss. She is always on the end of the phone whether I need a good cry or moan or have goodnews and she cares for my son too. I thought they were all like that!! Feel free to use me if needed. x

Suze and Trance - you have got to let us know whether the PP person is employed by the LEA or whether they are 'bought in'

Please let me know - I really am interested!

HelenL

Hi helen, how would I find out for you?.........they don,t work at the same office as the lea, some are volunteers, I think they are just employed by the local council.

Hi helen, how would I find out for you?.........they don,t work at the same office as the lea, some are volunteers, I think they are just employed by the local council.

Blimey! Not working in the same office's as the LEA is how it should be - and it doesn't happen often!

Suze and Trance - you have got to let us know whether the PP person is employed by the LEA or whether they are 'bought in'

Please let me know - I really am interested!

HelenL

Same as Suze here, mine are employed by the local council as far as i know, they share offfice space with the pupil and inclusion people but are independant from them. Its actually useful as they get info for me from bacin etc and have access to the head of sen.

Hello. Ive asked our PPS people for help on several occasions. The first time the lady advised me to start the ball rolling with the statementing process as she told me if I left it to the school we could be waiting forever for them to even fill in the relevant information. This is exactly what happened the first time I filled out the SA1 form. On the next occasion I needed support from the PPS was at a governing body disciplinary hearing, when my son got excluded from school for his heightened sensory issues (he covered his mouth and nose with his school sweater when the TA sat close to him after having smoked a cigarette, was told it was rude and not to do it, he refused, was sent to head for disobeying and hurting the TA's feelings when he said her mouth stank), back to the main issue. The PPS guy told me he had the school phoning him and he was told he could not attend to be my advocate. I had to find someone else. It was not until I attended an autism workshop, that had guest speakers, I met the same guy I spoke to on the phone. He told me the head had threatened to call the police if he were to attempt to enter the building to support me. I was flabbergasted! Because, in my eyes he showed the cowards way out and did not attempt to overide her ridiculous decision, I decided I would never bother to ask them for any help or support again. They are also based in the LEA building, Southwark London.

Edited by Lautre

our PP activley discourages parents from from using the sevice. when parents ask for an IPS, they are told that PP does not work as an advocate and will not attend meetings. I called them on this in a public meeting they were holding and questioned the exact circumstances in which an IPS would be provided. They were not happy at that. I also showed them a copy of that document I posted a while back - and asked if they were aware of it and if they could tell me more about it. PP was VERY upset that I had something they thought I should not have (even tho it is freely available on request) and since then I have been removed from their mailing lists - strangely my DH has not...