Sign in to follow this  
Emma21

help required! laws on parents - school - lea partnerships

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any laws or pieces of legislation which says that parents with SEN children have rights and they must be able to form effective communication networks with their children's schools and LEA'S? I am currently in the middle of doing the conclusion for my dissertation and from the data I have collaborated it highlights that the government and LEA'S are breaking the law because parents are not being listened to and they are unable to form effective partnerships with educational services because they are often seen as pests and nuisances.

If anybody could point me in the right direction of some laws then I would really really appreciate it!!!!!!!

Thank u so much.

Emma

Emma the trouble I think that us parents find with the code of practice is that it is guidance, not law. Lea's and schools believe that they can interpret it for their own good. Look at my lists of schools from the LEA thread. This part is actually a law but the LEA still chose to put their own individual spin on it :blink:

anything in the CoP in a purple box is statutory and will give the law it refers to - usually the education act. Purple boxes are not guidance but legal requirement, There are also copies of the statutory instruments in the back of the CoP.

Another one to look at is the DRC code of practice for schools which has a section on relevant legislation at the back

Zemanski

Hi all,

I have nearly finished writing my conclusion and I thought you might want to see one of the last paragraphs I have come up with!!!!!

Some parts mite not make perfect sense as I have not proff read it yet.

Let me know if u have any comments.

Thanks

Emma

Although the Prime Minister, Tony Blair, stated that the government is ?committed to ensuring that the differing needs and wishes of parents and children with special needs are met appropriately." (Guardian, 2001). The results from this study and the literature review indicate that for many parent?s this is far from being a reality. As in the case of Maria Hutchings (2006) who challenged the Prime Minister live on TV in March 2005 about parent?s with SEN children?s, needs and wishes being totally ignored by schools, LEA?s and the government. Although, the Prime Minister promised Maria that he was going to deal with the issues raised by her in relation to parent partnerships involved in the educational system for children with special needs, in person, a year has since passed and Tony Blair has done absolutely nothing. (Hutchings, 2006).

Although, there are many LEA?S and schools which have formed effective partnerships with parents of SEN children and they provide effective support for families with SEN children, it could be argued that it is little wonder why many schools and LEA?s do not obey the law and form equal partnerships with parents of SEN children when the leader of their government out rightly breaks the law himself by not making sure parent?s needs, voices and opinions are listened to and acted upon.