Sign in to follow this  
Guest Frangipani

Welcome to Holland and

Guest hallyscomet

Hi,

Just Copied these two poems here for the new members on the forum.

H.

WELCOME TO HOLLAND by Emily Perl Kingsley.

c1987 by Emily Perl Kingsley. All rights reserved

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to

help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how

it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You

buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo

David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very

exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you

go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says,

"Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed

to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must

stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full

of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language.

And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after

you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin

to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about

what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's

where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream

is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be

free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

=================================================

Just have to add Jonathan's response here as it was beautiful smile.gif

JONATHAN: *puts on clogs and dances among the tulips* smile.gif

This post has been edited by hallyscomet: Feb 22 2006, 05:06 AM

--------------------

God must think you are very special, having entrusted you with one of Gods special angels.

I am on a different time zone - currently 9 hours ahead of you

16 yr old NT daughter 18 yr old ASD son.

IPB Image

User is online!Profile CardPM

Report PostGo to the top of the page

Edit Post+Quote Post

V Full Edit

V Quick Edit

MotherEve

post Apr 4 2006, 09:03 AM

Post #9

Kilimanjaro

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,050

There's a follow up to the Holland piece....

Celebrating Holland - I'm Home

A follow up to Welcome to Holland, by Cathy Anthony

a parent, advocate and Executive Director of The Family Support Institute in Vancouver

"I have been in Holland for over a decade now and it has become home. I have had time to catch my breath, to settle and adjust, to accept something different than I'd planned. I reflect back on when I first landed in Holland. I remember clearly my shock, my fear, my anger, and the pain and uncertainty. In those first few years I tried to get back to Italy, my planned destination, but Holland was where I was to stay. Today, I can say how far I've come on this unexpected journey. I have learned so much more, but this too has been a journey of time.

I worked hard; I bought new guidebooks; I learned a new language, and I slowly found my way around this new land. I have met others whose plans changed, like mine, and who could share my experience. We supported one another and some have become very special friends.

Some of these fellow travellers had been in Holland longer than I and were seasoned guides, assisting me along the way. Many encouraged me; many taught me to open my eyes to the wonder and gifts to behold in this new land. I discovered a community of caring - Holland wasn't so bad!

I think that Holland is used to wayward travellers like me and grew to become a land of hospitality, reaching out to welcome, assist and support newcomers. Over the years, I have wondered what life would have been like if I had landed in Italy as planned. Would life have been easier? Would it have been as rewarding? Would I have learned some of the important lessons I hold today?

Sure, this journey has been more challenging and, at times, I would (and still do) stomp my feet and cry out in frustration and protest. Yes, Holland is slower paced than Italy and less flashy than Italy, but this too has been an unexpected gift. I have learned to slow down in ways too, and look closer at things with a new appreciation for the remarkable beauty of Holland with its tulips, windmills and Rembrandts. I have come to love Holland and call it Home.

I have become a world traveller and discovered that it doesn't matter where you land; what is more important is what you make of your journey and how you see and enjoy the very special, the very lovely things that Holland, or any land, has to offer. Yes, over a decade ago I landed in a place I hadn't planned yet I'm thankful, for this destination has been richer than I ever could have imagined!"

This post has been edited by MotherEve: Apr 4 2006, 09:03 AM

--------------------

IPB Image

I live in South Yorkshire with my husband and my son.

My son is 9? and was diagnosed with ADHD at 4 and HFA age 6?

To effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with others. Tony Robbins

User is offlineProfile CardPM

Report PostGo to the top of the page

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful piece of work with us. It is so moving.

I will certainly will be "dancing amongst the tulips with my clogs on"

S*