Sign in to follow this  
debbie28

Smarties and a.d.h.d

Hi all just wondered if anyone else has had any problems today my daughter sophie is 8 she has aspergers and a.d.h.d. unfortunatley she was given a smarties easter egg and when i explained she wasnt allowed the smarties she flipped big time.they send her completley of the rails and she gets herself in a right mess..she now thinks im unfair and that i shouldnt take her things of her its not the case at all but as you may all well know smarties and a.d.h.d dont mix well at all...she now hates me and wont talk to me..and i feel so cr*p its allways speacial events that bring these problems out with her as she is so restricted to what she can and cant have..anyway if anyone has any suggestions on this one i would be most greatfull...

HAPPY EASTER TO YOU ALL..

What about offering her an alternative?

Guest hallyscomet

Hi, >:D<<'>

I had the same problem with my son with any type of chocolate, especially Nestle.

What I found was White Dairy Milk Easter Eggs and little white chocolates also like Milky Bar worked best. My son could eat those without the change in personality "WIRED TO THE MOON" I call it. :wub: His reaction to chocolates just wasn't worth the grief, his reaction was really severe and he could harm himself and others, it was quite a shock to see this change, if this is what you are experiencing with your child, it is hard when people don't listen...... some kids have really strong reactions. >:D<<'>

It got to the stage I had to tell everyone only buy white chocolate for both kids, and I would slip a few secretly of the other variety to my daughter that was able to have any type without a reaction.

We learn the hard way and its hard when you see how much your child reacts to these things (triggers)

Better luck next year. Always have to stay one step ahead of them dont we :lol::lol::lol:>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

H.

Edited by hallyscomet

:(

Thing is shes kicked of now because shes seen the smarties and isnt allowed to have them.

I know you say she goes of the rails when she has smarties but id just think sod it and let her have them.

My son isnt allowed fizzy pop or highley coloured stuff either becasue it makes him agressive.We avoide it like the plague.But on the odd occasion like easter time people buy things hes not meant to have its kinda if he doesnt get them he kicks of and if he does he kicks of so yer cant win.Hence i think sod it let him have them and put up with the fall out.

I realise this approach might not be appropriate as all kids react to differing degrees and the reaction to haveing the sweets may be far worse than the agro because theyve not had them.

Good luck with it.

My 2 do get more hyper with a few things, but as long as I have nothing I need to do like a trip into town etc I let them have them as an occasional treat. They've had smarties this morning, which I haven't noticed a reaction to since they took some of the colourings and changed them and we're only going to Chester Park this afternoon so won't matter too much if they do get a little over excitable.

:(

Thing is shes kicked of now because shes seen the smarties and isnt allowed to have them.

I know you say she goes of the rails when she has smarties but id just think sod it and let her have them.

My son isnt allowed fizzy pop or highley coloured stuff either becasue it makes him agressive.We avoide it like the plague.But on the odd occasion like easter time people buy things hes not meant to have its kinda if he doesnt get them he kicks of and if he does he kicks of so yer cant win.Hence i think sod it let him have them and put up with the fall out.

I realise this approach might not be appropriate as all kids react to differing degrees and the reaction to haveing the sweets may be far worse than the agro because theyve not had them.

Good luck with it.

HI...I DID THINK PERHAPS IT WAS A BIT HARSH SAYING NO SO I DECIDED TO LET HER HAVE THEM BUT I TOOK ALL THE BLUE AND ORANGE ONES OUT...WHICH I THOUGHT WAS FAIR..ONLY SOPHIE THOUGHT OTHERWISE AND TOLD ME I DONT LOVE HER LIKE I DO MY OTHER KIDS OR I WOULDNT HAVE TAKEN HER SWEETS FROM HER...YOU JUST CANT WIN...I HAVE KIND OF PREPARED FOR THE BIG HYPE THAT IS SURE TO COME SOON...IT JUST SEEMS SO UNFAIR ON THEM DOESNT IT..

You could try green and blacks, a bit expenisive but they are organic so the risk of her 'getting in a mess' slightly decreases....and tastier too!

I take out the blue ones and eat them myself .....

Then we're both on the ceiling together!!!!!!

But seriously, we got a Smarties Easter egg too. I shall be replacing the Smarties with something else as my little fella is seriously bouncing already this holidays without the added impetus of Smarties. Thankfully he still lets me unwrap things for him, so I'll just replace them unnoticed - it will prevent the backlash.

Hi Debbie,

Poor you >:D<<'> . It's always us parents that get blamed isn't it? My son is 7 1/2 and he has AS and ADHD too. I have given him smarties before as an "experiment", but he didn't seem any more hyper than usual. Saying that though, i try to avoid giving him anything like that.

I'm sure he would have reacted in the same way as your daughter if i'd tried to take something off him.

Try not to beat yourself up about today. I think you should just put it down to experience and maybe next year try to filter out any "bad eggs" before Sophie sees them. You could ask family to buy her alternatives like a small toy or something?

Loulou x

Hi ...yes i will be doing that next year for sure...its kind of strange as it was my sister who sent the smarties egg down from lincoln i think she must of forgot the effect it has on her...anyway i told sophie that because she couldnt have the egg that she could come in to town with me and buy herself a little toy to replace it...but next year i will be telling everyone no SMARTIE easter eggs please...its weird how some foods affect kids and others it dont...sophie cant have fish fingers or beans or any other coloured food so it makes it quiet boring for her. but im glad that health officials are now seeing this and are providing alternatives for these children to eat...theres hope yet...ha ha..

Most of the organic and kids orientated foods have no colourings etc now, even some places doing gluten free fish fingers aswell as free from other addatives.

My mum's a teacher and she blames the introduction of the blue Smartie for many of the world's problems.

So it would seem you're not the only one to have noticed Smarties affecting children.

When T was 2, he was given an easter egg that had just orange smarties inside it. He only had a few, and he was bouncing off the walls. The effect was really startling - we have avoided Smarties ever since.

Karen

My son can have smarties and they have no effect on him whatsoever ...

However, give him one of those smarties push up lollies and he goes completely crazy, absolutely do-lally and hyper, shouting, screaming etc. (normally he is very reserved and well behaved).

He had loads of smarties eggs too ... shame he doesn't react ... I could eat them if he did! :lol: