zaman

article in yesterday's Guardian

What a great read...........I,m off to see what Urville looks like via google :D ..........they sound a lovely couple.

Edited by Suze

Really good to see something so positive that didn't try to avoid the day to day reality of 'conforming' too...

Also got me thinking about a local artist i knew years ago (dead now - too much wine women and song!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: thumbs obviously not for the fact he's dead, but for the way he enjoyed his life!!)...

He used to make his 'pocket money' bashing out very attractive scenes of Venice, and I could always spot one of his paintings in the gallery from a mile away, because the composition, colours, style were always very 'typical'... What always fascinated me, though, was that the angles, features, buildings, scenes etc varied enormously, but always 'fitted' geographically- as if he could see the whole City in his head and just walk through it until he found a place to set his easel. In recent years, of course, I've come to understand that he COULD!! :clap::clap:

L&P

BD

Lovely article

One quote sums up what I was trying to say to someone today

"We have learned not to make plans for him, but to accompany his progress instead of mapping his life."

Thats what I am trying to do for my son

Ah bless I liked the fact that they were in a relationship, sweet!

I hope my son grows up to have a nice relationship like that (not that I would let him ... or that any woman would ever be good enough for him mind!) :lol:

The quote that Lil me picked up on really humbled me when I read it. I was so impressed not just by the couple themselves, but by how cool his parents were. I think I need to learn how to accompany my son's life much more.

What a nice article thanks Zeman!!!!

Gilles was luckier than Catherine in that his autism was identified at age eight, when the Tr�hins moved to the US. Both father and son regard the States as far ahead of France in recognising and accommodating autism. "The French education system is disastrous for us," says Gilles, "there's no tolerance." He's concerned about the rights of all "people with differences", as his father points out, there's a wheelchair-user in each of his drawings. He and Catherine speak at conferences, in the hope of improving understanding. "I'm always anxious of boring people," says Gilles, but, given his formidable talents and open and engaging manner, I think this unlikely.

This however was not a surprised I have read a lot about autism on French websites and what is coming out is that most of children with autism do not go to school at all.... and their parents educate them at home the best they can.

Malika.