Stephanie

Annoying drawn out speech pattern ..

My five year old, who is HF and has had some minor speech problems, has started talking in this whiney drawn out tone, making the last word of the sentence last for ages. Really annoying!

He has the SALT in school next week so I will mention it but does anyone else have this going on?

Also he is babbling silly nonsense a lot, thinking out loud a lot, and driving me generally crazy with it.

I may be over reacting because I have had him at home over the last two weeks!!! School on Wednesday - woo hoo!!!

Hiya

Sorry can't really be of any help but I still talk like that and I'm in my thirties and what makes it worse for me is I'm originally from Lancashire and living near Portsmouth. I know I'm annoying. All I can really add is me and my son are monotone people. I tend to draw out the words when I'm concentrating. Could this be the case. I don't normally say what I wan't to say so when I am really trying the words get longer if that makes sence.

I'd mention it to the speech therapist but I havn't looked in the past for any advice. I'm sure they will have something up there sleeve.

Good luck

My son does something like that; it usually comes from his latest fave video but is exaggerated into a long, drawn out sound with a weird accent. If I say I don't understand, he'll say it again in a nice Home Counties accent, so he obviously is aware he's doing it. He's six, with ASD.

Lucky you, my lad was supposed to go back today but came down with the chicken pocks yesterday! WHAT A STAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Not quite the same but my son has been speaking like a robot today!!! Its been so annoyning cant wait for him to fall asleep but he is abit anxious tonight so i guess its a long night for me then!!!!

Justamom

I so didn't want to hear that this is normal for an ASD child. He has only started doing it ... he talks normally it is just the last word of the sentence like "mummy, can we go to the paaaaaaaaaaarrrrrk?" we are trying to make him think and say it quicker but he then shouts "park!" rather than says it normally. He sounds really whiney all of a sudden.

The SALT is in school with him tomorrow, but 4 visits a year isn't going to help him. Has anyone tried private speech therapy one to one. I have been told that it is not good for ASD kids as they need the social aspects and work in small groups better.

As this is a intonation thing, I think private speech therapy might work.

I have to nip this in the bud one way or another. I'm not one who accepts "that's the way it is".