Sign in to follow this  
justamom

The family with 27 kids!!

Did anybody see the programme on Channel 5 about a family with 25 children all with Special Needs???? The family had 2 biological children who help with the child care of the other 25 children (mainly downs). They have adopted all of the children who are from mothers that used drugs during pregnancy or rape victims...

Mind boggling i tell you, they are a very dedicated family!

Justamom

yes i just watched it one boy had downs and developed autism in his teens.

i had such a crappy day today with my boys and i snapped at them alot[think its stress of 2 weeks of school]

but watching this made me feel ashamed of myself and all the moaning i do.

had tears in me eyes watching it :wub: very special couple indeed :wub:

yes i just watched it one boy had downs and developed autism in his teens.

OK, excuse my ignorance here with this stupid question but umm, how can someone develop ASD in their teens??? :blink:

I too missed it and hopefully it'll be repeated so we can all watch it! :D

I think as it is a developmental delay and when there is another condition Autism can sometimes be missed or it can be pressumed the traits are part of another condition.

I missed this but think I've read about them before in a magazine, people like that I have such admiration for, the time and effort they put in to improving the childrens lives is amazing.

Edited by lil_me

If i could be granted a 1/5 of the patience of this couple i would be a happy woman,truely amazing and inspirational parents and children.

tylers mum-

i thought that to but thats what they said on the tv-they did show video clips of him when he was younger and he had downs but was very bright saying different flash cards and then it showed him now-and he dose not speak ect....

so i presume the downs was masking the autism and it came out later on .....

They made me feel very inadequate! Makes me wonder how they'll cope in their old age though.

Elun

I know this is probably going to sound really off....but here goes anyway.....

It has got to be a million times easier to cope with a child/children when you consciously make the choice to take on a child knowing exactly what their needs are so inevitably also what is involved in bringing them up.

Although I have all the respect in the world for them for taking on such a job I dont agree it makes any of us less adequate.....

I'm sure they are plenty of people on here that not only have to care for their AS child but also other children, possibly a husband, hold down a job and keep the house running.

Anyone raising a child with special needs deserves a medal (and a holiday!!)

that family are soooooooooooo extreme......its like saying that you should feel inadequate for not being a supermodel or something!

I think your all wonderful, strong people who not only keep yourselves and your families afloat you also find time to come on here & hold others up too......

that'll do me for now lol....rant over :P

forgot about that, but i had read about them before. I dont know how they cope. I couldnt do it.