Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Pear Juice

My kids are loving the pear juice (I took them off apple juice and orange juice on the advice of something I read somewhere or the other).

I cant find it in cartons but buy the Heinz Baby Pear Juice for ?1.80 a bottle.

They both love the taste and my ASD son seems to be somehow different .. can't put my finger on it, but will report back!

I noticed that Lidl (sp?) sells Pear juice, but in the 2 seconds I was allowed to look at it the other day, I did notice that it had sugar added.

Oh nice one, I went to all the top 5 supermarkets looking it for it in cartons and H&B ... but to no avail. Never been to Lidl's before ... I'm not so concerned about the sugar added. Better sugar than sweeteners in my opinion. I will go there and get some in bulk!

This sounds interesting? What does pear juice do/not do that the others do/don't? Sorry that sounds ridiculous but I didn't know how else to word it!!

I cut out all drinks with additives over a year ago but my kids still drink apple juice.

Also, for people looking for pear juice, some farm shops near us sell pear juice in bottles. It's pressed juice with no additives at all. They do apple juice too and it's the apple juice that I usually buy. Is there something bad about apple juice?

Just wondering what the reason was for the pear juice.

Lauren

Two reasons that I can think of.

1. Low phenols are a recommendation for a Feingold-type diet for reducing hyperactivity. As well as not tolerating gluten and dairy my son does not do well on citrus fruits and none of my children tolerate apple juice. There is an additive (can't remember what) which does not have to be declared, but it's in juice made from concentrate. Sodium benzoate, perhaps. Whatever it is seems to turn apple juice into rocket fuel for my kids.

2. The other benefit, from reading Jacquelyn McCandless, etc, pear juice although sweet does not create bacterial/fungal growth such as candida albicans or clostridia. Many people have these in their digestive tract without realising.

Thanks jaded, that's useful to know. I never buy juice made from concentrate, and my kids seem fine with apple juice. I can't give them any kind of orange juice though, they can't eat oranges at all... they come out in a nasty rash.

Thanks for the info.

Lauren

Hi,

We buy merdian (sp) pear juice which we buy in bulk from Goodness foods, another source of pear juice is Heinz baby pear juice. We have found the AiA helpful in understanding some of the reasons why the diet has been a success for our son.

Mary

Hmmm.... this is really interesting. I've been looking at my sons diet recently and he seems 'addicted' to apples in one form or another - and most of the other things he is happy to eat have pectin in.....I'm off to buy some pear juice :dance:

The Pear Juice from Lidl does have added sugar and other ingredients, it is quite thick (pulp), without bits but very sludgy. It tastes nice though but if you want to go for a natural juice the Heinz Baby one ticks all the boxes, however it costs ?1.80 for a litre, whereas the Lidl one is something like 60p for a big carton 1.5L I think.

I am adding water to the Lidl one to make it thinner.