Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Unusual speech pattern.

Hiya :) ,

Difficult to go into details, but, i have a child i care for (work) who is going through the process of assessment for various things..... I'm having some difficulty explaining the childs speech pattern. There are definitely signs of semantic and pragmatic difficulties as well as intonation.. The bit i'm having difficulty getting across is the way things tend to be pronounced..... I'll explain..

The child tends to speak very phonetically - ie; bLack, bRown, I wEnt for a waLK(and has also begun to stammer). Would this come under difficulties with phonology???

Ta xx

Hiya,

I've already had a moochy through that site - and a couple of other SL ones..... annoying thing is - i'm certain i read about this kind of speech ages ago...... Just can't remember where - or what it was called...!! Grrrr.

Thanks anyway >:D<<'>

Smileymab, is there a pattern you can detect: i.e. is the child focusing on particular consonant or vowel sounds?

No, not really. That's the frustrating bit ..... It does tend to be the second letter in the word, but then not always :wacko: ie; child will say d-rive, instead of drive, speaking rhythm is slow. But then as for my example 'walk', the child will say wa-l-k, pronouncing the L and K very clearly. I haven't been able to detect a pattern - just that the child will always say a certain one the same way - ie; drive will always be d-rive. I did think that it was possibly letters that require the front area of the mouth, lips, tougue (r, l,k ...... etc). But that seems to have gone out the window now...... the child is also literally correct in language - child will try to say the 'k' in knife. But, again this doesn't apply to all 'hidden' letters - :wacko: Four yrs old.

Edited by smileymab

Hmm my child is a bit like that .. does this child know how to read or have a really keen interest in the written word? Alphabet? Reads things on walls? Looks at written information a lot?

almost sounds like this child learned to read before he learned to speak?

there is a chance with hyperlexia and ASC of this happening - the speech delay associated with ASC holding speech back but the decoding of symbols being advanced without necessarily having comprehension to match, then learnng to speak using the decoding skills. - very curious

It is fairly common for AS kids to learn extensive vocabulary from reading and then mispronouncing words, sometimes for the rest of their lives, because they've learned them phonetically but this is unusual to say the least - might be worth talking to his mum or carer to find out how his speech developed.

Zemanski

Hi,

My sons speech therapist reckons he has semantic pragmatic speech disorder. He associates word sounds together such as he says Christmas for Crisps, and Thomas for tops. He has an aunty called Hayley- and he calls his toy helicopter an Aunty-Hayley-Copter, apparently that is classic semantic pragmatic.

She is an excellent therapist and is coming tomorrow so I will ask her if what your describing would come under difficulties with phonology if you like???

I think my son is hyperlexic, he has been able to read since he was 2 or 3 ... if you are going down this route, look into "Babies that Read" it is a fantastic book with excellent advice - speech included.

my son used to speak something like this, sounds kind of posh. when we were with the speech and language therapist between hubby and her they described his speech as being "deliberate" meaning exact precise exentuated.