LizK

Social story success

Adam does not like having his hair cut and I dread taking him! He won't sit still, wriggles around, fidgets and touches things he shouldn't, gets very hyped up and display some outrageous behavious (anxious or sensory overloaded) the worst being the time he tried to grab the hairdressers breasts Hein54.gifHein54.gifHein54.gif or the time he started picking up random customers coats with his mouth :whistle: Surprised he's not had his fingers chopped off too!

Our preschool teacher made me a social story about going to the hairdresses, what was going to happen and what was expected of him and he's loved reading it. He was getting his hair cut today so got it out this morning for a quick read and took it with us. He insisted on holding the book all the time and wouldn't turn the page until we were actually onto the next thing in the book. He was really good and sat still (for him) and didn't fiddle too much and when he forgot I referred him back to the story. Once his hair was cut he got into the pushchair and ate his raisins whilst Daniel had his hair cut just like the story said :). No mad running around the shop :clap: Really really pleased how well it worked expecially as he's been quite unpredictable this week :rolleyes: !

Lx

It's great, isn't it? We are having success with a 'no chewing' social story.

Our next one is 'going to stay with grandma for a week' - unthinkable a year ago.

>:D<<'> whoo wish i had had that book when t was small :crying:

Liz Thanks for telling us about a successful social story its great to hear they can work so well.

Ds SALT is going into school this week to teach them how to give Ds social stories so fingers crossed they will work as well as yours did.

Thanks again.

Kathy