Bagpuss

hello from a newbie

Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum, just found it online, and wanted to say a big HI to everyone!

Our youngest daughter (5) was diagnosed with Autism in November. When she was 3 she was diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.

Feel the need to find other people who know what we are going through, to share laughs with, and to learn more!

Today we went to a meeting re Early Bird Plus, and are due to start course next week. Sounds promising :D

Edited by Bagpuss

hello,you will find a lot of helpful advice here,look foward to getting to know you better,what is early bird?

Hi Debs, and welcome >:D<<'>

If you got the DX in November you'll probably find early-bird very useful. They do tend to talk in generalities at EB, but take what fits and the best of the rest, and you will get a lot from it...

The forum has TONS of useful stuff, so take your time and have a good rummage around, and anything you don't find - just ask!

L&P

BD :D

Hi Deb's welcome to the forum but be warned once you start you can't stop!!!! LOL

We are a likable lot and I'm sure there will be plenty of laughs

Lisa x

>:D<<'> Welcome Bagpuss >:D<<'>

I will also enjoy chatting, if ever you need help with anythis this is the place to come. :D

shaz

Welcome to the forum, you will hopefully benifit much from your Early Bird course, as your childs Diagnosis is quite recent. Baddad states you should indeed find it very useful which I am sure you shall, generalities are often made in reference on the course. However the picture will soon become somewhat clearer as time passes you will then see for yourself, that children on the spectrum are infact as much alike as they are different .

Steve..

Guest hallyscomet

Welcome Debs, they are a lovely bunch here as you will find. :)>:D<<'>

Its great to talk to people who understand.

Hailey

Hi debs and welcome to the forum. I'm pleased for you that you've found this forum.

I hope you don't mind me asking, what is Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy? How does it affect your daughter?

Look forward to chatting.

Lauren x

Thanks for the warm welcome :D

Lauren, Jessica doesn't produce a protein which keeps your muscles healthy. The muscle eventually dies, and muscle weakness occurs. It tends to affect boys, rather than girls, but unfortunately Jess is one of the rare ones. Children tend to lose the ability to walk between ages of 8 - 12, and it affects other muscles, ie. arms, chest, heart. Life expectancy is now 30's, although it used to be teens. Girls tend to fair better than boys, so we don't know how Jess will be. At the mo she uses a wheelchair for long distances, days out etc. She tends to fall quite abit and loses her balance etc. We've been advised that there is a link between DMD and Autism, but don't know if thats been proven.

This forum looks sooo busy, will need at least another 6 months to catch up with everything :D Plus I'm a complete techo phobe.....PC's are baffling to me :wacko:

Thanks again everyone :D

Hev, forgot to add, the Early Bird Plus is a course for parents for children diagnosed between 4 and 8. Those given a later diagnosis . There is an Early Bird course for those diagnosed younger. The main difference being that a member of staff from school are also invited to the Early Bird Plus course to work in conjunction with the parents. It's a 2 1/2 session once a week, plus two home visits, and we start our's next week and it finishes July. Hope to learn more about Autism, behaviour, communication, etc etc and hopefully meet other families.

Take care,

Debs

Hi Debs,

I'm a newbie here myself although in a different ASD boat

Just out of interest, what part of Cleveland are you from (if you don't mind me asking)? I originally hail from the sunny shores of Redcar myself - maybe it's something they put in the water up there (only joking) :D

Hi,

We're in Guisborough......although spend most of our time in Redcar! Our daughter goes to school there, and we tend to go there for shopping etc.

Great in the summer for the beach :D

Great in the summer for the beach :D

Shame about the tourists though - they really do clutter the place up ;)

Never mind eh......the lemon top ice creams make up for it :P

Lemon tops... :hypno: [drools, gets in car, drives to Pacito's on sea front...]

(Of course no-one else will have the faintest idea what any of that means)