Sign in to follow this  
kaz

Daniel Ins't talking

Hey All,

Just wondering if anyone else has read the book "Daniel Isn't Talking" by Marti Leimbach.

Its a fiction book about a family that find out their son Daniel has AS and it takes you through the break down of the family after the Dx and about the mothers fight to get help for her son.

When i first read the back of the book i put it back on the shelf because i thought this is to close ot home and i was not sure i want to read this. But i am now glad i did, i found my self crying and and laughing at some of the things they did. Getting angry (very angry in parts )

But i did enjoy it, I can't say i walked away with any more information that i had at the start.

But i did finish the book feeling less alone, as i felt that the auther did understand how it felt to be a parent of an AS child. (Even if the father did as in many fictional books turn out to be the bad guy.)

Karen

Hi Karen

I havent read this, nor had i heard of it, but i wouldnt mind reading it, im like a clean hungry sponge at the moment. >:D<<'>

shaz

I read it a few weeks back. There were some bits in there that helped me to describe to people how I was feeling (she put it better than I could!)

It made me laugh and cry too......

I must have missed that thread so thanks for posting it again Kathryn.

I am definately going to buy it. :D

shaz

Well...

I didn't like her attitude towards AS, described as 'not full-blown autism'. The only character (the father-in-law) who I took to have AS, although it was only implied, was portrayed as very unpleasant and controlling.

Plus, I felt it was the sort of book that people who have nothing to do with autism will read and think that if only parents (mothers??) just tried as hard as this mother, their non-verbal children will learn to speak, play, interact, etc, etc.

And I felt the central message was that children have to be 'freed' from their autism.

Just my opinion, obviously!! :lol:

Bid :D

Plus, I felt it was the sort of book that people who have nothing to do with autism will read and think that if only parents (mothers??) just tried as hard as this mother, their non-verbal children will learn to speak, play, interact, etc, etc.

And I felt the central message was that children have to be 'freed' from their autism.

That's interesting as I have felt that about other books that I have read, can't remember the titles but I think it was 'The boy who loved windows', and 'the Sound of a Miracle'. I read both quite soon after my son's diagnosis and thought that if I tried hard enough I could overcome his autism. Which of course left me feeling a complete failure when I couldn't.

Having said that 'the sound of a miracle' did leave me interested in getting him some auditory integration therapy, which I am still trying to do through OT, but it has taken me many months just to get a referral. I wish I had read something useful instead like a handbook on what to do about meltdowns!

Grrrr!!

Sorry, hated this book!! :lol:

Bid :)

I KNEW you wouldn't like it :rolleyes::lol: I had much the same reaction as you (posted my reaction on t'other thread).

Not to do with autism, but I also didn't like the author's portrayal of English people as dull, reserved and conforming whilst the central character, an American, was (naturally!) flamboyant, outgoing and unconventional. Ho hum, more stereotypes! :wacko:

K x

:lol::lol::lol:

But thanks for lending it to me, anyway!!

That's the only reason I didn't actually throw it across the room! :devil:

I much prefer to read things by people who are on the spectrum these days :bat:

whilst the central character, an American, was (naturally!) flamboyant, outgoing and unconventional. Ho hum, more stereotypes! :wacko:

K x

and was she the forty stone salad dodger American stereotype, or the still finds time for the gym despite working 27hrs a day and spending at least three hours in starbucks drinking double latte and weighing approx 40 oz's American stereotype?? :lol::lol::lol:

BD...

now claws away, ladies!! ;)

The latter, BD!

She actually loses weight through depression, unlike the rest of the world who puts it on through eating too much choklitt!!

Oh, and she still looks wonderful even when wearing old baggy jeans (belonging to the handsome, maverick play therapist she falls in love with) :sick:

Er hem, not that I'm bitter and twisted, you understand...

Bid :devil:

I much prefer to read things by people who are on the spectrum these days :bat:

Me too bid. Do you remember a few years ago when some woman wrote a book 'Living with doctor spock' ?

William had recently been diagnosed and I listened to her on radio 4. I was so mad that I wrote to radio 4 complaining about the interview. First of all this woman had only been with this man for a year or something and hadn't heard from him since they split up. She and the woman who was interviewing her were having a right good laugh at his expense. I'm not even sure if she had his permission to write the book. It made me sick. There are so many people who are willing to jump on that particular gravy boat and I really despise them for it.

Lauren

has anyone read"let me hear your voice" i read it before myy dd had dx,abt a mum with 2 kids little girl dx first(which is why i read it) then little boy!!cried like a baby cuz all i could see was me and my dd,but did enjoy it!!

I wonder if books like these are helpful to people who are just coming to terms with a dx, but make you go 'grrrr!' later on when you have more experience of the reality of the situation? Because it definitely was helpful to me - though I can also see I could be a 'grrr!' if I read it again later.......

By the way - I heard that in real life (because the book was based on her experience) she went back to her husband but that the publishers decided the readers wouldnt like that ending? So dont worry chaps, maybe she's a chocolate muncher too!! :lol: And maybe she looked really duff in those jeans :lol: