debbie28

Autism outreach (early bird)

hi i was just wondering if anyone else has been on the Autism Outreach programme...i am starting the programme on thursday i know this will be really helpfull as there is still so much i dont know about aspergers...but was just wondering what to expect...

Hello debbie28,

The EarlyBird Plus programme, both Jean and I did this last year, we had the school senco come along which was good as it was a new role for her, gave her a little more insight I feel.

I would hope you should benefit from attending the course, if you have a recent dx for your child you will get some answers to questions you may have. On the course they do tend to generalise about ASD conditions, once you are aware yourself of the differences, you will begin to apprieciate that they are as different as they are similar.

Steve..

Hi,

We went to meeting last week re. Early Bird Plus, and start course on Wed. 6 other families involved, plus members of teaching staff from all school involved. Looks really promising, although I find it abit difficult doing all the "introduce yourself" etc etc..........mind you, on this course we had to introduce the family sitting next to us. I know why they do it, but dread that part of courses :( Hope to learn lots more and gain some insight into Autism and all the aspects we find challenging. Plus, it will be great to get to know the other families better. :D

Take care,

Debs

hi...someone else also told me that you have to do a lot of personal speaches which im not very good at it.

But still i am looking forward to it. my course starts this week also so it will be good to meet other parents in the same situation.

Hope your course all goes well. let me know how you get on with it.

Debs.x

Hi Debs,

Hope yours goes well too :D

Personal speeches....big gulp...hope not :(:lol::lol::lol: I suppose everyone must feel like us musn't they :D

Take care, and we will have to keep each other posted :D

Love Another Debs x

I did the pre-school early bird and i didnt find it was for me,I felt it was a bit rigid and applied to autism as a whole and not my child,which sounds silly but was just the way it felt,To be honest though ,it is worth doing,it just wasnt for me,i have found this forum more helpful.

hi everyone, i'm new on this site!my little girl is 3yrs 2mths,she was diagnosed 3wks ago with asd.i havn't been to an earlybird prog but i have just finished doing the "More than words"hanen programme which i think is simular!!its mainly to help with communication thru play,visual helpers etc.

I was involved in this many years ago, not sure if it is the same., called the Hannen Project or Programme I think. Part of it involved being videotaped at home playing with your child. Made me feel very uncomfortable and self conscious. Found it very difficult to relax :( Didn't carry on after that, although wish I had been able to overcome my anxiety and carry on with it .

Edited by Bagpuss

I was involved in this many years ago, not sure if it is the same., called the Hannen Project or Programme I think. Part of it involved being videotaped at home playing with your child. Made me feel very uncomfortable and self conscious. Found it very difficult to relax :( Didn't carry on after that, although wish I had been able to overcome my anxiety and carry on with it .

Earlybird involves being videoed at home too,i also found this uncomfortable and so did india,she knew exactly what was going on and buried her face on me the whole time,bar one incidence when she decided to ...erm shake my lady mounds and shout BOOBIES at the top of her voice!!!this was then shown to the whole group :ph34r: While i agree the pricnciple of early bird is good,i felt it was a bit too formal for me.

I did the pre-school early bird and i didnt find it was for me,I felt it was a bit rigid and applied to autism as a whole and not my child,which sounds silly but was just the way it felt,To be honest though ,it is worth doing,it just wasnt for me,i have found this forum more helpful.

I felt the same about the course, i've learnt alot more through this forum and talking to other parents but it is worthwhile going as you meet other parents in the same boat.

Clare

Lindy Lou ,

I've heard that Early Bird Plus doesn't involve filming, just Early Bird..........I've got everything crossed here :lol::lol::lol: The boobies comment made me laugh, our daughter is the same. She keeps trying to stroke mine :D:D While saying "no touch boobies, no touch boobies"........Would hate this to be shown to room full of people! Hoping the course goes ok, although hubby abit dubious from outset when we had to put name labels on.

Take care,

Debs

Edited by Bagpuss

:lol: I will keep my fingers crossed for you that they dont film then!!The boobie incident was the final straw for me :blink:

Well, first proper day of Early Bird Plus course today. No speeches/filming/boobies as yet :D Today we did Understanding Autism, and found it very thought provoking and informative. Find listening to the other families experiences so helpful aswell.

We were given homework to complete for next week :unsure::o Although have been assured it won't be marked :lol::lol:

Take care,

Debs

Thanks for that Eve, will check it out :D Just been reading thru next session (communication) for tomorrow. Must say sounds very complicated to me, and found it difficult to understand :blink::( Hopefully will feel alot clearer about it after I've completed tomorrow mornings session :D

Debs x