cillathefish

how do you trim your kids nails?

hi everyone my name is sara and i am mum to 3 kids bailey 7 riley 5 - (severe autism non verbal and has pica) and erin and 4 !!! it has never been great fun getting riley nails trimmed butit has been hell lately and tips oh btw he is on to me with trying to do it in his sleep! what a wonderful site :notworthy: ooops got to go burning the tea xx

HI Cillathefish

Well, nail cutting, whats that???? I have 2 ASD sons the youngest is 6 and nail cutting (let alone hair

cutting) is a nightmare. The only way I have achieved this is either sitting on him (not very good) or I have been able to make a game at bath times. I show him exactly what I am going to do then have a go, if he lets me then I make a big fuss and show him what I have cut from his 1st finger and ask will he let me do another, still not easy but seems that if he knows and can see the result he feels better, he still screames the place down (don't know what the neighbours must think)

Hi Sara,

Havn't been here in a while but just had to add my comments to your wonderful post and look forward to hearing other reply's!

Nail cutting :lol: I don't really think it's a laughing matter but trying to be in a positive mode today!!

So my Son Dan who has A.S has a huge sensitivity problem with his hands & feet, so nail cutting is a huge problem. He's now 11 years old & it's still a major problem, he will only let his dad cut them now, before only i could do it...but even though it's a game and a half :blink:

When he was younger, like you I used to wait while he was in a deep sleep (not very often but that's another story!!!) then do it, but now a day's I am not allowed near him with sissors or nail clippers! I used to get embarred when he went swimming incase anyone saw his long toe nails but then decided "what the hell I've got bigger problems to worry about!"

I am sorry I have not been any help here Sara but I understand the difficulties and the frustration with such a task that others find a breeze or do they??????? :P

Take Care, Best Wishes from a mum who is redundant in cutting nails!!!!

Rach x

My son is 12 and cutting his nails is a nightmare it sounds like i am mudering him, he would rather have a blood test than have his toe nails cut - he bites his finger nails.... Hair washing is also difficult and i have sometimes wondered what the neighbours are thinking.

Have no tips i am sorry but like you say when they are asleep its sometimes easier...

Oh! cillathefish, i love your kids names riley is lovely!!!

justamom

Ds1 won't let me near him with scissors so I bite his nails. Yes, I know it's not very hygienic but he lets me do it like that and it keeps them short.

given up completely with Com - ever seen a 13 year old bite their toenails :sick:

He's bigger than me so it's just not worth arguing about any more :unsure:

Z

hi everyone my name is sara and i am mum to 3 kids bailey 7 riley 5 - (severe autism non verbal and has pica) and erin and 4 !!! it has never been great fun getting riley nails trimmed butit has been hell lately and tips oh btw he is on to me with trying to do it in his sleep! what a wonderful site :notworthy: ooops got to go burning the tea xx

hi there,just wanted to say welcome,i've only been member since monday and driving my older kids mad cuz i'm on here alot they cant get to computer!!hope u find it as useful as i am!!as for nail cutting i'm like Rachelp2,i wait till dd is asleep and get it done as quickly as possible :)

Well Logan isn't three yet so I tend to win the battle purely coz I'm stronger LOL - I have to pin him to cut them. As he gets older I know thats not going to work so god knows what will happen!

Lynne x

omg! i too have this battle! tricky is on to the cutting them whilst he was asleep, he absolutely hates having his feet touched to. It was only the other day he started screaming the house down cos his toes were bleeding it wasnt until i finally convinced him to let me look that it turns out he has verrucas on the end of his toes and his toe nail was so long it was growing into the verruca!

I usually cut their nails when they are in the bath. The nails go really soft and are easier to cut when they've been in water for a while. That's their finger nails. If anyone can come up with a sure fire way of getting them to let you cut their toe nails I'd be very interested. it's years since my boys would let me cut their toe nails

:lol: wow thanks so much >:D<<'> you guys are the greatest i feel so much better ! i have been freting about his toes and finger nails especially as he get the gross gunk under them unfortunately! but hay we are all in the same boat here! i will try the bath softening trick and deep sleep trick i am assuimg that is when he is snoring? lolx x to you all and hope you all have a good night! sarsxxx

Hi Cillathefish,

Can really only echo what everyone else has said (and the hairwashing to boot). My daughters 12 now and the only time I can really get her to have them cut is when they start bending over the top of her toes (ugh!) and she wonders why her feet are hurting when she has her shoes on.

Makes my toes curl.

Jb

hi there,just wanted to say welcome,i've only been member since monday and driving my older kids mad cuz i'm on here alot they cant get to computer!!hope u find it as useful as i am!!as for nail cutting i'm like Rachelp2,i wait till dd is asleep and get it done as quickly as possible :)

hi there

hi ya thanks for your advice ! i am really thrilled to find this place i will have another go tonight , riley usually sleeping on his hands and i am so clumsy! I have had so many 'nick's' in the past too so he is not keen!! lolxx

I do it after his bath, and I find less of a struggle if i let him choose a program or dvd to watch (be mesmerised by), I start with his toes (his insistance) and by the time I am at his fingers he is so engrossed he barely notices. If I try with out the dvd he screams I am trying to kill him!!!!

AGAIN its nice not to feel alone............ love this site and all of you.

Joanne xxx

My son is 12 and cutting his nails is a nightmare it sounds like i am mudering him, he would rather have a blood test than have his toe nails cut - he bites his finger nails.... Hair washing is also difficult and i have sometimes wondered what the neighbours are thinking.

Have no tips i am sorry but like you say when they are asleep its sometimes easier...

Oh! cillathefish, i love your kids names riley is lovely!!!

justamom

hi ya ! thanks so much riley really really suits his name too and apsolute pixie and extremely beautiful ! xxxx

oh and a complete monkey !xx

I do it after his bath, and I find less of a struggle if i let him choose a program or dvd to watch (be mesmerised by), I start with his toes (his insistance) and by the time I am at his fingers he is so engrossed he barely notices. If I try with out the dvd he screams I am trying to kill him!!!!

AGAIN its nice not to feel alone............ love this site and all of you.

Joanne xxx

hi joanne thats a good idea especially if he is tired , that might work thanks!!!xxx cheers and lolx

Hi Sara,

Havn't been here in a while but just had to add my comments to your wonderful post and look forward to hearing other reply's!

Nail cutting :lol: I don't really think it's a laughing matter but trying to be in a positive mode today!!

So my Son Dan who has A.S has a huge sensitivity problem with his hands & feet, so nail cutting is a huge problem. He's now 11 years old & it's still a major problem, he will only let his dad cut them now, before only i could do it...but even though it's a game and a half :blink:

When he was younger, like you I used to wait while he was in a deep sleep (not very often but that's another story!!!) then do it, but now a day's I am not allowed near him with sissors or nail clippers! I used to get embarred when he went swimming incase anyone saw his long toe nails but then decided "what the hell I've got bigger problems to worry about!"

I am sorry I have not been any help here Sara but I understand the difficulties and the frustration with such a task that others find a breeze or do they??????? :P

Take Care, Best Wishes from a mum who is redundant in cutting nails!!!!

Rach x

hi there rach

thanks so much for your reply it really has made my night , i cant believe how great it has been to read these replys and help me put this into perspective!!!! >:D<<'> i bet riley wont let me near his nails tonite but at least i am less hung up about it!!!! and that has got to help him eh!! lolxx have a great night!

We have to massage hands first and then just clip the edge of the nail and our son will than pull the rest of the nail off.

Our son wears goggles for washing his hair. (The googles have to be very tight)

Jen

hi there rach

thanks so much for your reply it really has made my night , i cant believe how great it has been to read these replys and help me put this into perspective!!!! >:D<<'> i bet riley wont let me near his nails tonite but at least i am less hung up about it!!!! and that has got to help him eh!! lolxx have a great night!

hi hun..for me cutting my wee boys nails and hair envolves several wrestling moves...but there is no easy way...soak your babe in the bath or shower so his nails are soft then with possibly a bag of choccie buttons.....attack....lol..and basically i do it as quickly as i can...trying to get two nails at one move ....lol...i know im no help ...but im sure you get the drift...noogsy