Sign in to follow this  
Bullet

At last

My family and friends have been very supportive of Tom's diagnosis. Even if they don't understand, or (to quote my father in law) "he just doesn't want to talk" they do agree he needs help and there's something different about him. On the few occassions I've told somebody else the reaction has been disbelief or "oh, my child does that".

But yesterday I took him to get his hair cut and this hairdresser standing nearby was trying to get his attention and he was seeming to ignore her. So I explained he had an autistic spectrum disorder and she nodded and smiled. No raised eyebrows, no blank looks. It was great :D

:D

Isnt it great when someone other than you understands.It makes all the difference.

My sons hairdresser is absolutley fantastic.And its made all the difference to him and me.Shell book him in either first thing or last thing so no one is there in the salon because he gets aggittated if others are around,she explaines everything to him before doing anything its fantastic and its one of the few places he actually looks forward to going to.

It kinda brings it home to you that if only other people were more aware and accomodateing just how much easier life could be for the AS person and the family.

Its funny that you have found that reaction in, of all places, the hairdressers!

Sometimes people surprise you in the nicest possible ways! I'm sure it wont be the last time

Ahhh! Thats great :thumbs: Its not unheard of to come across understanding people, Its just not quiteoften enough!! Can you let me know who your hairdresser is!! :D

Isn't it just the most amazing feeling when someone manages to do that? Almost the exact opposite effect to someone going "Oh I do that" :angry: