Sign in to follow this  
big mamma

Xylitol

Hi All,

Still struggling along the GF/CF route ( though finding it much easier ) and have turned out a few quite edible things on the home baking front. However it looks like my daughter may be suffering from candida which means the scariest step of all - no sugar in the diet ( or very little ). Yikes !!! :tearful:

She has an incredibly sweet tooth and I think this is going to be a bigger battle than taking away the milk.

Does anyone follow a low sugar diet and use the above product in baking ? We don't use aspartame so that's no good.

Thanks

I've been using xylitol for about two years , it tastes just like sugar and prior to that I used sugar in my drinks, I know longer have sugar cravings and it stabilises blood sugar levels, i f your daughter has candida as I did, a probiotic for candida would help too, there is a really good one called three lac which I found the best of all and tried loads o f them. even though I use xylito in my drinks I've begun to reduce and now don't even crave the sugary drink, I hadn't been able to do this while using sugar

Thanks so much for the replies.

Florrie, do you bake with xylitol do you know and if so do you just replace the sugar with the same amount of xylitol? Must admit I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed about now removing fruit from her diet - it was the only thing that she would reliably eat which had some goodness in it ! :blink:

Yes you can bake with xylitol although I just use it for drinks, i don't think you should worry too much about removing fruit from her diet apart from dried fruit which is really sugary, I don't know many people that advocate removing all fruit from diet for candida, some fruits are better than others such as pears melons peaches nectarines apples, also berries are very good unless you are really senstive to salycylates, i also use bananas, although high in sugar, it is natural sugar, but not too many, but just trust your instincts, Fruit will not be harmful in asmall quantities remove as much sugar as you can and use a good probiotic for candida, will be most helpful

Pears are one of the best fruits , for people with allergies and sensitivites

Edited by florrie