Sign in to follow this  
desperate

insurance brokers

Hi there, you may remember that we have had a battle with the residential school my son was "unofficially excluded from. He hasn't been to school since 30th January and his placement has now ceased. Anyway we have been sending mail to the school with regard his school records and other relevent paperwork in regards to his time at the school. We also asked the principal to investigate the bullying issue involving some care staff and some students. We have never received any of this information despite asking weekly and pointing out to the school that they were legally obliged to provide the paperwork. Neil's tutor also left the school in support of Neil. We have now had a letter from the school saying that they have given all of our correspondence to their insurance brokers, who will contact us shortly, and any further communication from us should be with them and not the school.

I can't understand why they have put this in the hands of insurance brokers, if they disagree with us surely they would involve the school solicitor.

We still have not had the requested paperwork, and it seems unlikely that the insurance brokers would be in a position to supply any of it.

Any ideas as to what the school are doing?

Hi desperate,

I'm sorry things went pear shaped through no fault of yours. I feel for you. :(

A shot in the dark, they may have involved the insurance brokers in the event of you making a case against them in court. The school might claim on their insurance if they lost the case.

Nellie >:D<<'>

Not sure if there is such a thing as the Freedom of Information act (I think there is!) but you should be able to request copies of all relevant information from the insurance brokers under this Act.

L

Hi desperate. I am wondering if things are going on at LEA level. They may be asking for unused fee's to be returned in lieu of the 'missing' education due to the exclusion.

It may be that the school are covering themselves in case you wish to pursue a claim against them at some stage against their Public Liability insurance - definition of injury extends to include mental anguish etc, impairment to quality of life etc.

You are certainly entitled to get copies of these documents though and I can't see why it couldn't be given to you within a couple of days.