lisann

I'm moaning again

I'm sorry but maoning again it's all I seam to do.I was taking to the teacher ( nursery nurse) to be exact about something which have happened at school when she asked

How is Char's sleep getting any better

My reply was simple

No we still only manage to keep him asleep till 3pm ( he wakes up sevaral times between 8pm when he goes to sleep but the general rule is by 3pm he's up for good)

The teacher said

Oh it's a wonder he isn't exsusted then

My reply was

Yes you'd think so but he just doesn't need a lot of sleep

Teacher replied

It is very uncommon that children don't need sleep :wallbash:

My reply was blunt and angry

It actualy is very common for some ASD / AS children not to need a lot of sleep

She just look at me as to say I don't think so mate. :shame:

The school on the whole are very good but it makes my blood boil when they don't know all the facts but still insist on having their say.I wish I could just print some of the pages off from here and say there's the proff but I don't want to cause any problems with the school.

Ok rant now over I feel much better :jester:

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Rant and moan away you need it every now and againe.

It does my head in also when people who know absolutley sod all about autism and assoiciated disorders give there miss informed opinion as though its gospel and look at you as a parent whoes lived with it as in my case for 12 years as though you know nothing.

Idiot teacher.

I am so with you on this one :D We had a similar problem with Martin's head teacher. When we were applying for DLA they wrote to her for a report. I phoned her to find out if she had got it and she said: "Oh, I don't think he'll get it, they only give it to children who don't sleep."

So I replied: "But he doesn't sleep."

And she said: "Doesn't he? Well why didn't you tell us it might affect his school work."

I know I'm being a bit harsh here but she knows he has a dx of AS, surely she must know something about the disabilities the kids in her school have, there's only about 100 of them.

Anyway just to prove her wrong Martin got higher rate for personal care.

Martin doesn't sleep well, it's not unusual to see him still pottering about at midnight then he's often awake again at 6am - but has the decency to stay in his room for a bit at least. Wierd thing is he gets out of bed easier on a weekend than on a school day. It does my head in when he wakes up at 3am to find drawing pins to put his posters up! AAARRGGHHHH!

Oh - and when he is asleep he talks all the time, well grumbles!!

Com is sometimes, and particularly on a school night when he's stressed or in warm weather, up well after midnight and is very rarely in bed before 10:30. It's been that way since he was about 10. We find if we let him stay up then he actually sleeps, more or less at the same time we do.

In the last couple of years though he will sleep in on the weekend (he's almost 14 now) but although that would seem to imply that he needs more sleep he still can't go to bed any earlier and it doesn't seem to make him tired for school.

Zemanski

Im so glad that i have seen this thread. DD7 has problems sleeping, it takes about 2 hrs for her to fall asleep and she tends to bed hop during the night.

Her LSA this morning as i told her that DD7 is dyslexic as i had a private educational psychologist assessment done on her yesterday. And got the "she's doing really well!!" :wallbash:

and she said: "Oh, I don't think he'll get it, they only give it to children who don't sleep."

I do wish people would get their facts straight! Can you imagine this woman telling people not to apply for DLA and kids miss out on what is rightfully theirs? I'd have a good mind to write to her with a copy out the Disability Rights Handbook and tell her to think before she speaks!

when my son started school i took reams of stuff in id printed from the internet. They were very grateful for it and they refferred to it often.

I would do the same, and just say i hope this will help if youre ever stuck and cant get in touch with me or something like that.

tact has never been my fine point! >:D<<'>

Hi Viper

he goes to sleep at 8.30pm now after 10mg of melatonin and normaly wakes for the first time at 12am then a couple of more times and up for good around 3am / 3.30 am.

Lisa